Community Regular

Community Regular (8/14)

• Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later
  • One Year In
  • First Post

Recent Badges

1. G'day Brian! I know this is a little off topic, but I just wanted to add my thoughts to your comment above... I was in a similar situation, with Cindy believing that SatNavs were just another boy's toy, and we would (and should) never need one. However, I managed to convince her to agree to a cheap one, and we went with the Garmin Nuvi 250. That device, named "Matilda" (10 points if you can figure out the meaning!), has totally and completely changed our motorhoming experience! For the better, I should add! We do a lot of touring in Europe, as well as here in the UK. We are also members of the Sealed Knot, an English Civil War re-enactment society, and take the van to the various castles and stately homes where we camp. Perhaps you could try some of these arguments on your wife, after first preparing her a lovely meal, of course!!!... This is how a SatNav changed our lives... 1. We have added an extra 20% (minimum) onto our typical leisure time, simply by avoiding the dead time of examining maps, recovering from missed exits, having to re-route around road closures (increasingly common all over Europe), trying to get into and out of cities, searching for carparks and the specific address when we arrive in the dark etc etc etc. It all adds up. We simply step into the Van, punch the numbers and drive. This extra hassle-free time added to our typical day is in itself, for us anyway, easy justification for spending £80. 2. With loaded POIs, e.g. German Stellplatz, aires etc, it is really easy to hold off finding a campsite till the last minute. And if you prefer more formal campsites, and have perhaps booked into one, simply program this in and then choose your daily wanderings as "via points". We spend so much more time now looking at the countryside and towns and villages, without looking for direction signs or street names, or worrying about whether to turn left or right. Matilda will tell you where to go, so to speak! So, with 1. and 2. alone, we have significantly increased, and improved, our leisure time. Both of us. 3. "Look over there... that looks lovely... lets take a look". Countless times we have spotted something in the distance, beit a Cathedral spire or a lovely landscape, and simply turned in that direction to explore. When done, perhaps an hour and many miles off course, we need do nothing but follow Matilda's new instructions on how to get back on track. Again, more time to do what we came to do. 4. This, for us, is the most important one. Matilda is not perfect! She sometimes believes that the best way from A to B is via C, D, E and F. We have seen parts of Europe that I'm sure very few visitors (or locals!) have seen. Countryside to die for, scores of miles away from the otherwise logical route. If we're in no hurry, we indulge ourselves completely, and have an experience that we normally would never have. If we are in a critical hurry though, we always examine the full map on Matilda, and the road atlas if we're unsure, to make sure she chose the best route. We call this "being matilda'ed", taking us unexpectedly through the countryside. 5. Fixed speed camera locations, time to destination, real speed etc are all really useful, and help improve the trip. SatNavs never quite get time to destination correct as they need to "guesstimate" speeds etc., but in our experience, they're pretty close. 6. The ability to be in a real rush (van or car) and just being able to hit some buttons and know you're in good hands. Related to this, if your wife is perhaps not with you for a portion of your trip, you don't have to do the map thing yourself. Matilda will do it instead! Totally hands-free, no need to glance sideways at the open atlas on the seat beside you. 7. Going back!... Many times we have driven past an idyllic little spot for lunch or camping or whatever. If you don't want to stop now, but to come back later, punch the buttons to set current location and then Matilda can take you straight back there when you're ready. No matter where you ended up in the meantime. There are negatives, as with everything in life! -- It's easy to be so focused on your surroundings that you have absolutely no idea where you are or how you got there! Some people like to use real maps simply because they can get a better feel for what's going on. We have a balance... we get the maps and road-atlases out, often, but more for information and confirmation, than for establishing a route. Occasionally it ends up with an argument with Matilda!, but the journey is the better for it! -- Those with large vans, where road restrictions matter more often than not, may want to examine a map before setting off. Matilda doesn't understand the concepts of low railway bridges and the like! So, for large vans, you would probably want to confirm a chosen route, when possible. The beauty of Matilda is that if you encounter a probem unexpectedly, just hit the "find me another route" button, or turn around and head in another direction. Matilda will sort it from there. There are lots more subtle things we love about Matilda, but if you're personally wanting to get one, perhaps some of my thoughts above might help persuade She?!!! What I find amusing is that we're now planning to buy a second one! I've no idea what to call that one, but any suggestions are welcome!
  2. So, Tony, could you possibly clarify for me?... which category is the typical French Aire?... those parking spots in a village for example where there may or may not be any facilities, but overnighting is welcomed?
  3. mom

USEFUL TIPS

We carry our wine in one (or two if we're thirsty!) of those square wicker baskets made for 4 bottles. They have a good centre of gravity and rarely tip over, and are available at the bigger garden centres, I think. Another tip... for those of you with small campervans and one of those collapsable water containers for grey waste... to keep the container fully extended and hence use the full volume, I purchased one of those "for your garden" long iron spikes with an ornamental candle from the gardening centre. Dispose of the candle bit, bend that end into a hook and drive it into the ground at 45 degrees to the container with the container handle being held high by the hook. Feed the container with a short length of hose. Regards, mom