Solwaybuggier

Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Solwaybuggier last won the day on October 16 2022

Solwaybuggier had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Solwaybuggier's Achievements

Rising Star

Rising Star (9/14)

• Dedicated Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done

Recent Badges

1. Agree - last year I removed the magnetic ones as soon as we crossed the French/Spanish border, putting them back on on the return journey.
  2. We got some reusable ones a couple of years back - first year I stuck them on removable film on the back of the van, they worked well. Last year l stuck them on direct, and they were less successful - they were coming adrift after a few weeks. They weren’t the specific ones OP mentioned though. We also got magnetic ones for the front cab doors, which worked exceptionally well.
  3. Not sure how they regard 80+, but at 71 (& with some medical history) I found LV little dearer for multi trip cover than I’d managed to get single trip cover for (with Payingtoomuch) at 69.
  4. We did have this problem on a CCP a few years ago , the payment terminal was not working. It wasn’t a problem, we rang the helpline and they topped us up on the phone. But as Derek has said it may have been more difficult if there was no phone reception.
  5. I can update a bit on that - it still was last month.
  6. We put them on, but have got a set of magnetic ones for the cab and reusable one for the back of the van. Once out of France ( we’re in Spain) they come off until we go back over the border.
  7. We’ve been using IQ Go for tv via Firestick in France, it’s fine. They don’t require any usage during the year - uk or roaming - although you can’t use it for more than 3 consecutive months in EU without Uk use in between. No problem for us, being tied by Schengen rules! And we did activate it in uk before roaming - I don’t think you need to but better safe than sorry!
  8. A non-contract option is IQ Go (nb different from ID Go.). Annual fee of £20 to keep your sim active, then you just buy Data packages as you need them . 10GB/30GB/100GB costs £10/15/20. Each lasts a month, but if you run out sooner you just add another. I know some of the contract deals work out cheaper per MB, but we like the flexibility . It’s worked perfectly for us coming down through France, and now into Spain.
  9. When we looked at it several years ago, the cost of the bridges (Oresund & Storaebelt) was a major disincentive. We were over 3500kg at that time - not so bad if you’re not classed as HGV.
  10. Where I’ve seen carpooling lanes in the UK, they seem to accept any vehicle with 2+ people. (Think there’s one just south of Bristol, for instance.). Does anyone know what the French definition of covoiturage is, ie how many to count? If it’s again 2, those of us travelling as a couple in a MH would appear to meet the definition. I think covoiturage car parking is quite established in France- more so than here, I think.
  11. We used to have a Bailey, and I assume you’ve been trying using this method, but if not this might help. (Assuming it still applies - ours was a 13 plate.) Sorry it’s upside down! (Not now it isn't 😄 - DU)
  12. We had a similar situation in France 5 years ago - I suspect the rear plate, which was stuck on with tape, had snagged on bushes on an aire, but we didn’t realise until a French motorhomer pointed it out at lunchtime, a couple of hundred kilometres south. We were lucky no gendarmes had noticed. The French car accessory shops couldn’t replicate the British format on their computerised systems, and although the old style pressed metal plates, using a die, seemed to be a temporary solution initially, unfortunately at least one of the letters in our registration number is not used in French plates. We eventually improvised a replacement with sticky plastic sheet from a diy store, tracing the form of the letters from the front plate. It won’t have been legally compliant, but didn’t attract police attention over several weeks in France, Spain or Portugal, and more impressively was accepted by ANPR cameras at campsites. Fortunately, our son was flying out to join us in Portugal, and we got our dealer to send him a duplicate plate.
  13. We previously had a Cadac but weren’t very happy with it. Now have a Weber Q1700, which for us works better - less setting up, and behaves more like a proper bbq (without being the real thing of course.)