You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Caravans -> Caravan Chat
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
12v Socket Wiring
AuthorMessage
userJohn H
Posted: 23 September 2014 2:27 PM
Subject: 12v Socket Wiring

Has lots to offer

Hi everyone! I used to be a motorhomer but I recently bought a 2007 Lunar Ariva caravan so I'm now a tugger.

The proper place for a TV in the caravan is on the surface above the fridge where the 12v & aerial sockets are. I want to change this and put the TV on a bracket attached to the side of the wardrobe. Does anybody know the best way to wire the 12v socket. Would it be best to connect it directly to the battery or is there any other, more convenient way. The aerial isn't a problem because that's in the wardrobe. Looking forward to any helpful replies.

John H

userteflon2
Posted: 24 September 2014 7:40 PM
Subject: RE: 12v Socket Wiring

Epic contributor

I too have gone from a motorhome to a caravan you will find the wiring system is basically the same . I would think that the best way would be to link from the back of the existing 12 volt socket that way the control panel and fuses will still ensure safe operation of the socket. if you wire direct from the battery you would need to fuse the wiring and you may interfere with the battery charging unit. John.
userJohn H
Posted: 24 September 2014 11:08 PM

Has lots to offer

Thank you for your reply Teflon. The existing 12v/aerial socket is over the other side of the caravan with a 230v mains socket next to it. I intend to change this 12v to another 230v mains because there are only 2 at the moment. I intend to mount the TV bracket on the wardrobe wall which is quite close to the battery which is why I thought this would be a good idea to connect the other 12v/aerial socket to the battery. I intended to use an in line blade fuse but I didn't realise that it could cause problems with the battery charging unit. John.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 26 September 2014 7:32 AM

There’s no monochrome answer to this.

Connecting the new 12V socket to the existing one would (as teflon2 says) utilise the control-panel’s switching and fuse-protection that is already present, But this type of ‘in series’ approach relies on the cabling to the existing socket/fuse being adequate to support the extension when both sockets are in use. It would probably be OK, but the implications would need bearing in mind.

As it would be awkward to link New Socket to Old Socket (and the intention in any case is to replace Old Socket with a mains-power socket), it may well be simplest to do as John suggests and connect the new 12V socket directly to the battery using suitable cabling and fusing.

An alternative would be to look in the caravan for a 12V junction-box and connect into that, but that approach carries similar potential risks to the ‘socket-to-socket’ approach.

There are on-line discussions about this (GOOGLE on “caravan 12v socket fitting”). Here are some examples

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/37187-fitting-a-12-volt-plughole/

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/54543-adding-a-12v-aux-socket/

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/36826-installing-an-additional-12v-socket

Unless the socket itself had a switch or a switch were introduced into the 12V power-feed from battery to socket, the socket would always be ‘live’. This should be obvious and I can’t see it mattering in practice, but I guess it’s worth saying.

I would not anticipate adding a 12V socket that’s connected directly to the battery having any adverse effect on other electrical equipment in the caravan.
userJohn H
Posted: 26 September 2014 7:44 PM

Has lots to offer

Thank you very much for your information and links Derek. It has convinced me to connect the 12v/aerial socket direct to the battery. I've been and bought an in line blade fuse holder, now I've just got to pluck up the courage to drill a 2" dia hole in the wardrobe wall. It will be a case of measure 27 times and drill once.

The television I have bought is a Cello C16230F-LED which like a lot of modern TV's hasn't got a on/off switch. This obviously means it will be on standby until I unplug it so I am going to take advantage of your idea to install a switch. The draw on standby is very small but I don't like red lights glowing in the dark.

Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator