Advice needed on replacing charger on old caravan

garethhowell

I have an old ABI Jubilee Rallyman fitted with the original 2S4V Type T charger/ controller. I've just replaced the battery and I'm thinking of changing the charging system as well.

The 2S4V is a simple charger and I'm thinking that replacing it with a multi-stage smart charger may be a good investment as a way of extending the life of the battery.

Up until now, we've mainly stuck to sites with EHU. However, I've just replaced all the lights with LED units and we are considering longer stays off power.

Any advice welcomed.

Gareth

There are a number of transformers/distribution boxes on the market and as you do not wish to replace like with like, the choice is yours.Some offer power distribution only and others add on battery charging. Costs average £100-120 depending on seller. One thing to look at is the exisitng wiring into your system and whether it will be easy to put in a different system without major 'surgery'. Without knowing in detail your exisitng system, but guess it is 12N/12S it may be an idea to convert the caravan input wiring to 13 pin system and start from there.

Re-reading your Post and i am slightly confused. You seem to infer you now want to stay on sites with no EHU so do not see where the power distribution system is going to fit in. I was assuming you would use 230 volts EHU and needed to power all the things in the van from that. Using just a battery will need some form of charging and if no 230 volt supply then you will need to look at other means such as solar. Motorhomes do it but usually have big 110 amp batteries and often 2 of them.

Archived