Any members with a fifth wheel caravan ?

greybeardkma

Are there any members here with a fith wheel caravan ?

Our plan is to tour europe extensively in the next year or so, possibly towing a Celtic Rambler with a new US pickup.

We have had a few warnings about sites not welcoming fifth wheel owners but so far only from motorhomers or owners of 'regular' touring caravans ... we would really appreciate first hand experience from any fifth wheelers out there.

• 3 months later...

Hi

For some nearly 10 years we regularly Traveled France and Spain with American R-V`s. The vast majority of sites will welcome you BUT lot`s are indeed "tight" to access. Some (a Lot?) of Spanish Sites have "Bars" over the Pitch for Sun shade netting. and this can be an issue. although one site owner took a hacksaw to them for me!! and I have unbolted them myself before to-day. I dint know if you can still get The "Big Pitch" Guide? that had a "Europe" section. I contributed one myself!.

Something to think about? I regularly R-V now in the USA, and I find that the use of "Google Earth" to be of assistance in deciding if the access is satisfactory? And It worked in Spain in 2008-9, the last year we went.

BTW. I rather fancy the newer US spec; Toyota Hilux, (not the Euro one which is smaller, and called the Tacoma in the US) but the Big "jobby"! 4 litre V8 version. it had a good reputation for reliability too.

Pete

Archived