Buccaneer Caravel.

hector

Hi Folks, I have been looking at a 2010 model caravel and i was amazed to find that there were no receivers fitted to the chassis to take wheel locks ,also no tracker is fitted. I expected a top of the range van such as this to have these as standard but it would appear not. Any help on what was standard fittings and what were optional extras would be most welcome.

Cheers, Hector.

Hi Hector

I would be very wary of one of these. Have no experience of them ourselves but the link above from Derek confirms something that happened to couple that used to pitch up near to us on a regular basis.

These people lived in France and had family in the UK so used their caravan on visits back to the UK. It was a Buccaneer and it looked fantastic!

But on chatting to him he listed a catalogue of problems - some very serious and told us that the warrenty was not worth the paper it was written on and that the manufacturer nor the dealer wanted to know.

From memory the issues were water leaks such that water pooled under the fixed bed.

Badly fitting door letting water in

Door handle broke.

Fittings and fixtures "moving" - i.e. not secured properly - indicating severe structural integrity issues.

He was devastated and last thing we heard was that he was trading it in.

His words to me were "pity the poor monkey that buys this!"

Suggest extreme caution!!

Thanks for the comments, I will certainly keep that in mind. I have owned caravans from lunar, swift, bessacarr and, avondale. The only one that didnt leak was the avondale, the worst was the bessacarr and it was supposedly a top of the range!

While on the subject of caravans , can anyone tell me why the Hal-Locate tracker is not recognised by some insurance companies. It is thatcham approved so what is the problem?

Archived