Caravan breakdown cover

snobbyafghan

My RAC membership does not cover a breakdown of the caravan. If the car breaks down with the caravan attached, recovery will include the caravan so long as it is only the car that has broken down. With me so far?

RAC will do caravan cover but only through the Caravan and Camping club which I am not a member of. I am a member of the Caravan Club but their caravan cover is with Green Flag so I'd have to join Green Flag to get it, thus duplicating my car breakdown cover.

Any suggestions for caravan cover that doesn't involve me duplicating my car cover or my club memberships?

Doug

• 1 month later...

Hi,

you've probably sorted something by now, but just in case you haven't - Green Flag.

The AA told me if my towcar breaks down when I'm 400 miles away from home they would get the car back, but not the caravan. Renewal cost £103.

Green Flag said they would get the whole rig either to my destination and back home after my holiday, or back home straight away. Also, for a small extra cost supply a chauffeur if my wife felt unable to drive the rig and I was incapable (thru injury - not drink). Total cost £73.

Guess who I went with.

Cheers

Tony N

• 7 months later...

Cancel the RAC and take Green Flag seems the logical thing to do. At least then you know all will be well in the event of needing to use the service.

The one advantage of Green Flag is that it is through theCC and when you call they know automatically that it is likely a caravan is included so will send the appropriate truck. With others they may listen, but not hear.

However, are you planning on using it some time soon? I never have in 30 years, and hope that state of affairs continues.

If you do as Dave suggests (and I think that is sound) do take out the cover through The Caravan Club as I believe they have special arrangements with Green Flag over and beyond a normal Green Flag policy. Incidently, with the CC/GF cover you can pay an extra premium to include another car at the same address.

We are motorhomers and whenever we or our daughter have used GF we have been most impressed with speed of arrival and service, including a pre-paid reply form asking for comments on the attended breakdown. (GF attended us when we had a problem with the side door coming adrift.)

Agree with paul and all the other posts that suggest the CC. We were originally with NFU, but did not realise that Awnings and contents not included 8-) >:-(

In contrast the CC was less expensive and provided greater cover.

Also - when we went up to a TA caravan - the NFU refused to cover such a large caravan. This caused us a problem in that i expected to be able to swap cover on the same policy when trading one caravan in for the new one. Bit of a shock when i could not do this.

I see you have a Gobour!!! Snobby.

I had similar but one made under licence i think by Sterckmann. It was great and so nice after camping in tents. Whenever I see one on a site I like to go over and say what a great piece of kit these are.

The couple I bought ours from had retired and toured all over Europe in it. Sadly he had to give up driving and kept it in his garage fpr seven years because he could not bring himself to sell it.

Are you aware of the Folding Caravan centre down at St Ives near Ringwood on the A31 Snobby?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, new to this so excuse any use of non forum etiquette please!

I went through the breakdown research cycle recently as I wanted cover for the season. I initially asked Admiral but they have a limit on caravan shipping length (total length inc hitch) of 7m (actually 7.010m). My Compass Liberte 17/5 is 7.055 (don't think it is any longer than the average 5 berth).

They could not cover me as my van was about an inch too long!! I think Green Flag have a similar limit so it might be worth reading into the policy before taking it out. Most I saw had a limit of 7m. I went with IC which has a maximum length of 8m and width of 2.25m.

Not that anyone is likely to take a tape measure out and measure your van but in theory, they could refuse to cover you or tow you to your destination/home!

My last Post on this was a year ago and since then i have changed from Mayday to ADAC. This covers me anywhere in Europe including the UK and the caravan is covered as well.Significantly cheaper and evidently in the UK it is the AA who 'rescue' you. The other thing about ADAC is that it is you that is covered not the specific vehicle so you are covered for any vehicle you drive.

I fully accept that to date I have not had to use the service, and hope to keep it that way, but from reports it seems to work extremely well.

Archived