Changing back to a caravan

Melvin

Hi,

I am thinking of selling my 2008 Autotrail Cheynne 660 am buying a new caravan, as I need space and an awning for my mobilty scooters

i.e. a Bailey or a Swift, but when I have asked owner on the caravan club sites for every recommendation, I am hear unhappy tale and some horror stories.

im certainly no expert on caravans having just bought my 1st one, but i will say if you ask any one about anything you will hear horror stories eg. dont buy that car they are expensive to repair, dont use that type of fishing rod its no good etc. i asked for advice on a 4x4 forum when i was buying new general grabber tyres i was told i shouldve & couldve bought better for less or added wheels to the out fit for the price

this probably hasnt helped you at all but my point was go with what will suit you not what someone else did or didnt like

Hi

OK, ask yourself :-

1) With what do I tow it?. (the tow-car decides how much you can tow especially at the recommended 85%)

2) Where do you travel the Scooters? we have a VERY light one (American, Alloy construction etc) and even it needs to travel in the car. taking up space. Putting it in the caravan would make the caravan "overweight".

3) If you have heavy scooters then you are looking at AT LEAST a heavy FWD vehicle to cope. however this means you can look at heavier `vans.

4) Do you need to carry more than 1 passengers whilst towing, If so you need a long wheelbase tow-car (see p3). Putting one (or more) scooters in the caravan (assuming the MIRO will accept the weight penalty), also has implications for stability, and will need secure "lashing" points to stop movement.

In the above situation I would look at getting a "caravan" style awning for the Motorhome and put an awning rail on the MH or its existing Awning. and look into towing a small trailer to carry the Scooters.? Or even towing a small Van/Utility to give space for the scooters and a vehicle whilst "on site"

Food for thought?

pete

answer to your questions, at present we are using a Autotrail Cheyenne motorhome towing a Toyota Aygo on a A frame.

1. We have a newish Honda CRV 4 x 4 diesel, so have a reasonably wide weight range.

2. I use my large scooter to travel around the cycle tracks and footpath throughout the new Forest towing a cycle trailer with my 2 dogs (complete with cushions, treats, toys and water)

3. I use my small scooter around the towns.

I am unable to carry both scooters in the motorhome, unfortunately I am very relient on my scooters, prior to the motorhome we were able to carry both scooter and trailer in the back of the Honda CRV.

I am now going to advertise and sell our low mileage 9,700, 2008 Autotrail Cheyenne 660 2.3 motorhome at a substatial loss :'(

Hi

OK Try this site (towcar.info) and enter your Car model. you can then look at various caravans and match them; According to my estimate you will need to keep the GROSS weight below 1500kg depending on your Model. (the CRV seems to weigh about 1600Kg) which is lighter than my current Chevy Orlando?.

I have a deal of sympathy with your situation, we have just "come down" from an American R-V in which I has a 2+tonne payload!!. I now have to live with a 2cwt payload!!! that`s a factor of 20 reduction.!!! .

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

When choosing a caravan it is like many things, a matter of personal choice, plus possibly seeing something suitable at the right price. However, do get a layout that suits you best rather than a make. For us for example bed size was a priority as we do not like to sleep like sardines in a tin. Large washrroms were also not a priority for us as we use site facilties very happily. Look at all the various models of the chosen layout and then make a shortlist. When looking at payload many EU vans offer greater payloads than UK vans as they come with less gizmos, which you may or may not need.

We have aquaintances that use a mobility sccoter that does fold up into the car and they travel to the south of France.

Good luck with the hunt

Archived