Convert Truma 3002 fire

Coachman

Pastiche - 2012-05-27 4:41 PM

Any one got an idea how much to convert our 3002 fire to Ultraheat ie 240v its fitted to a 2003 motorhome.At moment its gas only and we have never had the one option before.

A sample price for the Ultraheta equipment here:

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/gas/product_29795/Truma_Ultraheat_Electric_Heater.aspx?aff=122

(Obviously, if you chose not to DIY, there'd be a significant labour charge to add.)

Ultraheat installation and operating instructions can be downloaded from here:

http://www.truma.com/uk/en/heating/downloads.php

A brief follow-up...

I believe your 2003 Mobilvetta has its Truma S-3002 air-heater towards the front of the motorhome's living area, on the right below the wardrobe. Although it should be relatively straightforward to fit an Ultraheat 'kit' to the heater, the challenge may come in providing a 230V power-supply to the heater.

I don't know where Mobilvetta will have fitted the 230V fuse-box in your vehicle but, if it's a long way from the Truma heater (perhaps on the opposite side of the motorhome), leading a 230V cable from the fuse-box to the heater may prove tricky.

Compact 230V fan-heaters (or convector heaters) are cheap to buy (£10-£30), so you may want to question whether the financial outlay involved in fitting Ultraheat is genuinely worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Regarding the fan heater, as we were on our first holiday in this van we did use the fan heater which is fine. In colder weather though where we like a warm bathroom via the vents at the moment I would have to give further thoughts. The 240 v cable is in cabinet by doorway so it would be about 3+ metre required.

Pastiche - 2012-07-09 6:18 PM

Regarding the fan heater, as we were on our first holiday in this van we did use the fan heater which is fine. In colder weather though where we like a warm bathroom via the vents at the moment I would have to give further thoughts. The 240 v cable is in cabinet by doorway so it would be about 3+ metre required.

Truma's Ultraheat option draws 2000W at its maximum output-setting. This equates to around 8.7A at 230V. If you were proposing to 'splice' into an existing mains cable in your motorhome, you would need to be sure that the cable could safely handle the electrical load placed on it by the Ultraheat at maximum output, combined with the electrical load placed on the cable by whatever it currently powers. It would be far preferable to run a dedicated cable from your motorhome's 230V 'fuse box' to power the Ultraheat, with a dedicated 10A fuse (or circuit breaker) to protect that cable.

I suspect that your Mobilvetta can carry large gas bottles, so I wonder why you are looking to spend a significant amount of money just to produce a warm bathroom. The cost of an Ultraheat unit and fitting charges (assuming you don't plan to DIY) would buy a helluva lot of gas. Electrically, as you'd need a mains supply to power the Ultraheat, there's no potential problem that the heating fan (which you'd have to employ to feed warm air to the bathroom using Ultraheat or gas-fuelled blown-air) would drain your leisure battery.

Even though it may hurt psychologically to be on a mains hook-up and not use it to power absolutely everything in the motorhome, it seems to me that choosing to fit Ultraheat is going to harm your wallet significantly for no great benefit. It's your choice of course but, when you want a warm bathroom, why not just run your Truma heater on gas.

Archived