Cracking of aluminium outer skins.

TheTravellingRooster

Hi to you all out there. Yes,it has been some time since I last posted onto the forum but moving home and health issues can take a great deal of time before level playing field is regained.

My post is something of a plea and fact finding exercise combined.

I am interested in knowing if anyone has experienced cracking of the aluminium outer skins on the side walls of their caravans.

I am looking for historical information from the early 80's to present day on all caravans whether they be UK manufactured or imports.

I am interested in knowing the following :- 1). The year of manufacture & make/marque.

2). The specific model.

3). The position of the entrance door.

4). The location of the crack/cracks.

5). Were you covered by warranty or insurance.

Please note that any information provided is strictly for collating numbers only.

Your help will be gratefully Received and Faithfully applied.

Thank You.

1232355730_Crackedouterskin.jpg.ce7e70fd85da04618ceda5dc32fd3dd4.jpg

• 5 months later...

I am in the middle of a fight with Explorer Caravans over cracks and folds to the nearside of a 2009 Crusader Supercyclone. They have agreed to pay for the water damage but not to the cause.

Cost to be £3500+

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Roger G - 2014-01-28 11:06 AMI am in the middle of a fight with Explorer Caravans over cracks and folds to the nearside of a 2009 Crusader Supercyclone. They have agreed to pay for the water damage but not to the cause.Cost to be £3500+ Anyone else with similar experiences?

Hi Roger. You are not on your own no matter how much Bu**s*** they feed you. They will blame it on Potholes & Kerbing. The problem that you have is caused by an underlying issue and I know for certain that this has been an issue across the ranges from Elddis/The Explorer Group for a very very long-time. Indeed reports about it go as far back as 2001/2002 after a model change and the moving of the door from behind the axles to a forward of axle/axles position.

This affects the longer single axle and a great many of the twin axles. I firmly believe that it is caused by torsional twisting of the chassis. The shorter single axle variants apparently escape this damage because the are shorter and therefore very much stiffer.

Elddis/The Explorer Group and or the dealers are putting owners in the very invidious position of claiming on the caravan insurance. This is a most despicable route and all that is achieved is that they have not taken ownership of the problem and someone else picks up the bill.

The only route for you is with the help of The CAB and invoke the Sale of Goods Act on your dealer. No matter how nice and how friendly and how obliging your dealer is you have got to take him to court using the powers of the Sale of Goods Act.

This issue is along standing and well reported issue, indeed simply by the fact that it is a long standing and well discussed issue it is 'Well & Truly Documented'.

This issue and others have been discussed on other forums and in variable degrees of acceptance and have been allowed to remain in the public gaze or have been moderated in varying degrees of savagery and in some instances had been butchered to the extent of making the contributors look like absolute morons.

Archived