Damp and condensation

lotty

• 2 weeks later...

i bought a load of dehumidifiers the disposeable types, they cost between 99p- £2.00 depending on size, ive got 3 in the van 1 at either end & 1 in the middle,i change them every couple of months & use them all year when the caravan is in storage. ive also put a tub of bicarbonate of soda in the fridge & another in the bathroom this absorbs condensation & keeps the smell fresh, & just to go overboard a bit ive also got a neutradol on the front windowsill just to keep the whole thing smelling good.

jamie

• 2 weeks later...
jam151 - 2012-12-23 5:07 PM

i bought a load of dehumidifiers the disposeable types, they cost between 99p- £2.00 depending on size, ive got 3 in the van 1 at either end & 1 in the middle,i change them every couple of months & use them all year when the caravan is in storage. ive also put a tub of bicarbonate of soda in the fridge & another in the bathroom this absorbs condensation & keeps the smell fresh, & just to go overboard a bit ive also got a neutradol on the front windowsill just to keep the whole thing smelling good.

jamie

[/quote

Hi Jamie

thanks for your post, which dehumidifiers do you use? I need on that doesnt need any power source.

:-D

hi lotty

there basicly a platic tub with absorbing chrystals in the top section they turn to a powder & if there is any condensation it will gather in the bottom section after a couple of months, no power needed you just remove the sticky seal on top & there ready, i bought mine in homebargains (what was woolworths) £2.49 i think, for large ones about the size of a bag of sugar

ive never saw any water in mine yet but ive been changing them after 2 months instead of 3 unfortunately i have juse found aleak in the van & some water has got in so they will really be tested now

jamie

No disrespect but dehumidifiers are a total waste of time. You will find 'holes' and vents everwhere in the van, which are designed, and allow air to flow freely through the van. Therefor every drop of moisture you remove is immediately replaced by another from outside. If you are getting damp then I suspect it is more due to a failure in the integrity of the van somewhere rather than just winter moisture. Some people leave a heater on low to keep the van warm, if it is beside the house, but then again this uses electricity.

Yes, i find that in Spring the doors are difficult to shut as moisture has penetrated, but as the van warms up this disappears. Similarly the windows may cloud but again the sun usually clears this.

Leave things alone until the weather improves and then check if you have damp as a serious issue. Remove mat\tresses to the house to warm them up and any bedding, or you will find the 1st night sleeping rather chilly.

Of course some recommend using the van during the inter to obviate this, but the again that is a matter of personal choice.

i agree dave about the part that moisture will allways be drawn in, but the dehumidifier stops it settling, the ones i use have scented chrystals in them so it is basicly a fresh air system, as they draw humidity in the odour is released, also as they only cost a couple of quid each its not a great loss for 3 months use.

ive used these type in my garden shed for the last 4 years as some electricals are kept in it they seem to do the job ok there which is why i thought id try them in the cvan, as i said earlier i have had a leak in the van (hopefully sorted now) so i have put 1 where the water ran down & i will have a look tomorrow to see if it has solved the problem

cheers

jamie

Your choice, and if you are happy, why not. However, I feel it is a bit like King Canute. Your shed is much more sealed than a van. Even the roof ventilators have direct slots for air to enter, which cannot be closed and every corner has a big hole in the floor. I know the makers all claim that caravans and motorhomes have high insulation etc, but in reality they are open to the elements.

I now tend to get any damp test done in late summer or Autumn as the van has had a season of use, and the result should more accurately show where there may be faults. I feel that a Spring time check is likely to be worse than it should. However, as stated, each has their own ideas.

Archived