Full timing in a caravan. advice please.

vicky79

Hi me and my family have decided to go full timing in a caravan to save money. We are currently renting and can't afford to do it anymore as well as paying off lots of bills. We aim to do this for 2 years so we can save enough. We have 2 young children who arnt in school for another 2 years. We are doing this while they are young so we can be settled in a house before they start school. There are a few things I would like some advice on from people who have done this themselves. Thankyou.

1. What happens to post? My partner said about getting it emailed across from a service that provides that. We don't have any family to register at their a dress.

2. What happens about the doctors? Can we just leave our old address with them so we are still registered.

3. Is a caravan safe enough to live in (sturdy enough ) full time ?

4. How do we get off the electro roll ? As I am told it is illegal to stay on it when your not at the address.

Many more questions but will see if I get a response first.

Thankyou everyone.

First question Have you somewhere to keep the van?

The electoral role, you will not be able to register, if you are not in a fixed address, as the form is filled in each year by the householder.

Doctors. You will need a permanent address to register for a doctor

Among other things. If you try to roam around in van, I would think you would be considered as "Gypsies"

SO I would not think a good idea with 2 young kids, also a caravan will be very cold in winter. Move to a cheaper area/flat , if you need to save money,

PJay

In theory you can always get an appointment with a GP or even a home visit as a Temporary Resident, but whether that will be easy or reliable with young kids if they get ill in the middel of the night I would doubt - but there is always A&E and lots of hospitals are also opening GP drop-in surgeries on their sites.

The simplest way to get post would probably be to have it all sent to a relative's home from where they could ditch the junk mail and forward the rest to wherever you are staying in your caravan.

Some people I knew decided to sell their house and buy a big American RV to live in while still working in UK and it was a disaster. Staying on campsites cost over £20 per night so they started staying in places like golf clubs and cricket clubs, where they could get cheaper weekly or monthly stays. But they had children and a lot of clutter and I think these places got fed up with them pretty quickly - at any event they were soon struggling to find places to stay.

What about trying to get an Assistant Warden job at a campsite, which would get you a free pitch with facilities? Both Caravan Club and Camping & Caravanning Club employ assistant wardens, so maybe worth asking.

In summary it's probably a lot more difficult to make this sort of idea work than you think, so check the options carefully, especially before sinking your money into a big caravan. But good luck!

Can only say don't do it, you WILL be looked upon as "travellers" and people will assume the worst. If the cost of accommodation is the prime motivation why not look for employment with accommodation provided, a good place to start would be the publication called "The Lady" where all manner of positions such as school caretakers are advertised.

Joe90 - 2015-02-05 1:13 PM

Can only say don't do it, you WILL be looked upon as "travellers" and people will assume the worst. If the cost of accommodation is the prime motivation why not look for employment with accommodation provided, a good place to start would be the publication called "The Lady" where all manner of positions such as school caretakers are advertised.

That might be a problem , with no school; age kids!! Joe

PJay - 2015-02-05 4:03 PM

Joe90 - 2015-02-05 1:13 PM

That might be a problem , with no school; age kids!! Joe

??????????? :-S

• 2 weeks later...

I would tend to agree with the comments re not doing it. To my mind it is going down a slippery slope with no exit. Yes, things can look real bad but that is going to make it a lot worse. For a start getting work will be difficult as you do not have a recognised address, secondly getting any assistance will again be difficiult unless you classify yourself as a 'traveller'. You may also have to move sites as you will be deemed a permanent resident if you stay, and then get all the bills again.

If you have children then there are some benefits to be had and there are Organisations that will give some help. I accept that taking this may not be what you wish to do, but living in a touring caravan permanently is definitely not for the fainthearted. It is not a long term holiday. Pl,us dare I be rude and state that the 'unpaid' bills will follow you wherever you are. Children also need some stability in where they are living and with all due respect, a touring caravan is not the deal. I know people sail around the world with kids buit that does noit sound like the situation you are describing. Those people do it as a choice and have the finance to back most of it.

May I suggest you take some serious professional advice as to what your options are before doing this.

• 1 year later...
I would like to share my experience of importing caravan into New Zealand by using shipfrom uk. All you need to do is just contact to them and asked the advice. They even introduced you with its trusted dealers if you are not sure about what kind of caravan suited with your requirement. Its even the one stop service as they arranged from the start to the end when it comes to the importing caravans into any location.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have stated, not really a good idea. Firstly you will have to get the caravan, and that will cost more than you think if you want one in decent condition. That will blow a large chunk of any house deposit you may have. Secondly getting a site will be difficult unless you can find a small out of the way site where not too many questions are asked. You may also be asked to move on at short notice. If you have any possesions such as furniture, where will you keep that? Buying again is costly.

I really think you should look at alternatives. With 2 small children you are a high priority with Councils and you can get help with rent and bills, even with you working. Do not think about moving in with parents etc as it will not last amonth. I should not say this but as you are not married, your partner could move out for a while and as a single mum, you jump well up the list.

• 1 month later...

You can consider living in a different country, like in the vest Europe. You and your partener can be an english teacher and you can win decent money. But living in a caravan is very hard and you can spend so much money you think: winter on heating, water for washing...and other.

Good luck and all the best

Archived