Had their day Fridges

Retread24800

Posted this on the Motor Home section but it equally applies to Caravans too :-)

Getting pretty tired of having the fridge failing to freeze at high ambient temperatures ie +30°C reading here and elsewhere that absorption Fridges need extra cooling fans to work etc.

Was wondering why with decent battery power and with occasional mains  why do we still put up with Dometics offering the technology of which hasn't changed since the '70's?

Been looking at Waeco compressor fridges which are advertised to work at +40odd °C giving a freezer at -18°C, average power consumption of C2.0Ah/h, similar prices but no gas option obviously. Sounds too good to be true or am I missing something? and now to the crux of the matter why in 2013 are we still being forced to buy these obsolete types? I've been going through most manufacturers in the UK and here and there are NO options for a modern Fridge.

I do not think you are actually 'missing anything'. Compressor fridges will always work better than adsorbtion ones because they have a big motor doing the work, but it is noisy and in a confined space it is felt the silence of the adsorbtion one is better for sleeping. After all do you want to sleep in your kitchen with the fridge switching on and off? OK, maybe you do but many do not. Yes, Waeco have brought out new compressor fridges and these are fitted to some van conversions but again there is a noise penalty, although slight, until the fridge gets a few years under its belt. Again using one of these was often a choice to avoid cutting ventalation slots in the panels of the van and in some cases allowed the fridge to be installed behind the side sliding door. The other issue is that unless you have an inverter and big leisure batteries, or EHU the the compressor fridge will not run and adsorbtion fridges have the gas option which may be better

What I would suggest to resolve your problem at high temperatures is to buy a cheap small domestic fridge and carry that with you. Stick it outside in the awning and use that to keep beer cold. We do and it allows the inside fridge to carry more food and of course we do not hear the 'hum' inside. My 'outside bar' holds up to a dozen beers, 6 bottles of wine and soft drinks, plus any excess the 'boss' cannot fit inside.

By the way my Thetford adsorbtion fridge is working happily as I speak in 30-33 degrees but I remove the top vent and the fly screen as this reduces the air flow by 50%. Plus I shade it from the direct sun and is doing just fine. Makes ice cubes no problems. If you fridge is located awning side, or even worse behind a door, then it has to work harder

Archived