Insurance price difference for a Tourer.

nowtelse2do

Got the caravan home yesterday so started looking round for insurance. I've had quotes between £86 and £470 8-) for a 2006 2 berth van with more coming back to me tomorrow.

Question's.

1) who do you recommend ?

2) should there be some sort of documents with a secondhand caravan (I'm thinking something like a logbook ) I have a receipt.

3) I have the manuel for it but no service type of book, is that unusual?

The van itself is immaculate inside and in very good mechanical condition.

Cheers, Dave

We have a large white "Bailey" folder that came with our c'van when it was new, it has all the receipts and manuals for the items fitted.

We have just added all the regular annual service receipts and invoices for any work done.

We also have all the gas check receipts.

As far as Insurance - I found NFU very good, but moved to the CC when told by NFU that they would not insure caravans of over a certain length - so when we bought our TA and it was well over their size limit we had to go elsewhere) - I also found out that in comparison the CC policy covered our awning and its contents - they said we should take pictures and itemise things. The NFU policy did not cover awnings and contents.

I have found the CC people very good.

But I have never had to claim - thank goodness.

Thank you josie & Clive. Having never owned a tourer it's a bit of a learning curve for me. I just can't get my head round as to what the previous owners used this caravan for. There is no leisure battery for it and it's never had one, the toilet cassette has never been used nor the shower or sink in the bathroom, just some very minute marks in the kitchen sink and only one out of the three burners has been used.

There isn't a mark on the wood floor and the upholstery is as if it's just come from out the factory. None of the fittings are marked...It's like brand new instead of being 8yr old.

There was no security of any kind so have had to buy a hitch lock and wheel clamp for the insurance purposes and will be fitting an anti snaking device before doing any proper touring in it.

I can only think that because it was taken in P/ex on a static caravan that the previous owners were frightened of towing and maybe just kept it on one or two site's with security storage, theres not even any tyre wear and the spare is brand new. I've crawled all underneath it and everything is like I've said brand new.

Although I've had it insurance checked and everything is ok, I worrying why it's so good (I must be nuts 8-))

I'm going to book in somewhere local for a weekend and see if it's as good as it appears to be.

Dave

Check for a chassis number, there will be one somewhere. If it has been removed, then get suspicious. Look at the windows and see if there has ever been a Cris marking number or look at the paintwork and see if you can find any etching, both indicate some form of identity system and the Company will be able to tell you if the van is genuiine. There may even be a tracking device hidden somewhere, often high up inside the front locker. Once you have some form of identity then check with the Police to ensure it is kosher.

After you have confirmed that indeed you have a bargain then you can look for insurance. At age 2006 you are unlikely to get any ';new for old' cover so will have to decide a market value of the van plus extras, and use that to get quotes. Look for a Company that gives you what you want, not the cheapest. If you wish to go to Europe for example, look for one that offers that as well. Remember that probably all Companies will give you a good deal for year 1, it is on renewal time that you may find a sudden increase.

As for documentation in the main this is usually copies of the various makers instruction manuals for the equipment. Look up each model on the Web and download the manual. Eg, Dometic for fridge, Truma for heater etc, Alko possibly for chassis. The bodywork itself will be as is as the maker is not likely to show too much interest at the age, but if you do need spares do ask there first.

Anyway, good luck with the search and I hope you have many happy days in your new van.

Hi josie & Dave. josie it does indeed look to be a bargain, but then again I keep thinking of the old saying, if it looks to good to be true, then.......!!

Replying to Dave's points. I have the chassis no and there is also a little metal ALKO tab next to it, I gave info to the insurance company, they must have some sort of checking system because the lady said it was clear. I have not checked the windows for any markings, what exactly does CHRIS mean?

There is no tracking device that I'm aware of and I've been through it with a fine tooth comb when looking for a leisure battery and checking the electrics etc.

We never spend more than 4 weeks at a time abroad so we just took the 30 day one (OH gets granddaughter withdrawal symptoms ;-) ) Because I had not owned a caravan before they gave me a two year no claims bonus as a gesture, but will look out for any hike in premiums next year thanks. I have the book covering all the equipment eg: heater, gas and electrics (fridge, cooker, water etc) I don't have anything saying how many owners or who the last owner was. I did noticed two marks on the outside of the van, One at the rear offside corner and one on the top nearside edge where it looked as if it might have been caught slightly with a tree branch, when inside I took particular notice of both those areas but could not read any damp or see any damage.

So those are the only two things wrong that I could find, what I do find puzzling is why no leisure battery and not even any battery straps to connect too. So now it's just a case of waiting for some decent weather so we can get away in it for a couple of nights to check it out.

Aparently this company 'Cristall' has something to do with Lunar and these vans are (were) made in Belgium.

Cheers Dave

Slightly confused by your last Post. Cristall was indeed a maker of caravans and was part of the Tirus Group until the Group folded a good few years back. It also made caravans under the names, Homecar, Chateau, Beyerland and others I have forgotten. For a goodly period of time it was the largest maker in Europe. The Company was German, but built its vans in Belgium and made the majority for the Dutch market. Lunar did indeed have an arrangement with them for some time and imported the Chateau range and marketed them in the UK, so I suspect your van is likely a Chateau model. If it has a green stripe along the side then that would confirm a Chateau. Cristall as stated was a sister marque but never to my knowledge marketed by Lunar. Ironically many Cristall vans have a makers plate showing Chateau on it as they were made alongside Chateau models in Belgium.

The attached link is just an advisory to show you what I am talking about.

http://www.wamo.nl/index.php/occasions-outlet-caravan

As a Cristall owner i can confirm that they are, regardless of brand, indeed tough vans and were very well built for the price. Of course as with any van check for damp. They all had the extended A Frame as compared to UK models which imparts greater stability, at least according to the German organisations. I can only state that mine tows like a dream and instability has never been an issue, even when my dear wife is doing the driving and I have to gently remind her that 70 is not really the speed we should be doing. Some have shock adsorbers fitted others do not but it seems not to make much difference, so if your does not have them, do not worry too much.

As for the leisure battery, or lack of it, this is again part and parcel of it being made primarily for the EU market where batteries are not considered necessary as everyone uses EHU hookups on site. However, have a look at the power box under one of the seats and check the number. Most were made by Westacc, a Dutch Company and can provide battery charging as well, so if yours is the same, then all you need is a plastic battery box, screw it under a seat box near the power unit and connect the 2 wires. Do not forget to make a hole through the floor to allow gases to escape while the battery is discharging. A small hole and push the drain pipe from the battery through it will suffice. The power box is fully automatic and will use either power from the tow vehicle, or the battery, or converts 230 volts to 12 volts when connected. They are very good and better than equivalent UK models. The link to the maker follows:

http://www.westacc.nl/

The rest of the equipment is standard and manuals and spares can be obtained from the makers. Most of the lighting is 12 volt but if you have 2 spotlights above the cooker unit then you may find these only work when the 230 volt is connected as they have a separate transformer. I replaced bulbs until I twigged. All the other 12 volt lights will work off a battery.

The big issue will be if a body panel or even possibly a window is damaged, then it will mean trawling breakers yards to get a replacement. However, if you ever visit Holland then you have a larger source of bits and pieces.

Good luck with your van and if I can offer any further help please 'shout'.

Hello Dave & Clive.

Clive, thanks for the CHRIS explaination, i've had it checked and it's clear ;-)

Dave, much appreciated, I was told that Lunar had something to do with Cristall so took that as almost gospel because I'd never heard of them. I knew that Lunar had shifted some (or all) production over to Belgium.

Thanks for the 2 links, they have been saved. On that 1st link, if you look at the Beyerland Vitesse 400/2 that is identical to what I have bought with the exception that there are no edges on the woodwork, everything has been chamfered round and the sink and hob unit is the other way round. On the outside it's white blue stripes.

I have a guy who is mobile and does habitation checks and repairs coming around next week so he will sort any problems and go through the operating things with me. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Dave

Just to edit......it does have shock's and the two spot lights over the sink/hob.

Congratulations. Yes, if it as you describe then you have a Cristall van. It is known as a Samoa in the UK, and was the mid price range with Sprinter being cheapie, and Moorea being top of the range. We also have a Samoa but ours has the fixed bed variant, and we are absolutely delighted with it after nearly 7 years of use. We have been all over Europe and the fixed bed is I am afraid what swung it for us. I have suggested to y dear wife that maybe we should look at another van, but she will hear none of it as she likes the Samoa so much.

Yes, Samoa's do come with shocks and tow extremely well. One thing to be aware of is to cover the front window with a white sheet if the sun is shining directly on it, or it can warp. I had to replace mine as I stupidly left a cover over the van all summer while we were overseas. Had to source a new window from a scrappy in England who had no real idea of what a Moorea was (that is what he had removed it from) . Fortunately it just slides in and out. It is also likely to have a Westacc power box and so if you wish a bettery it should easy. Curious it doesn't actually have one, as UK Samoa's all did, and I do wonder if a previous owner has removed it. Check the cables from the power box and if there is a spare 2 pin terminal block, and a fuse on the top of the unit marked 'battery' then you can replace it easily. According to thebrochure it should have the normal power box.

One thing you will find to your advantage is that all the windows have awning rail above them. This allows you to add extra shade if you holiday in the hot sun as we do. We also have a Dutch sourced shade above the front window from Dorema which works well. Another thing that is good about them is that all the furniture units are screwed into place with screws hidden behind plastic covers. This allows to remove them if you so wish without destroying the van. Yes, some bits are downgraded to match the price like plywood seat tops, but who cares. You may or may not have an oven, which we do not, and have no desire for one. You get more storage space. The 400/2 usually had a MTPLM of 1200 kg with a MIRO of 835 kg so a pretty good payload, but check both the works plate on the front and the ALKO plate on the middle of the axle as some were downgraded.

If it is of any help I have a copy of the brochure for 2004 which shows the 400/2 model and is in English. Get the Mod to e mail me with your details. You will aslo find lots of curiosity when you are on site as you have what is now a rare breed.

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2014-01-29 7:09 PM

You will aslo find lots of curiosity when you are on site as you have what is now a rare breed.

He gets that anyway 8-)..........have you not seen him ;-)............

pelmetman - 2014-01-29 8:33 PM

Dave225 - 2014-01-29 7:09 PM

You will aslo find lots of curiosity when you are on site as you have what is now a rare breed.

He gets that anyway 8-)..........have you not seen him ;-)............

I am a rare breed........there's only one of me :-> :D

Dave

Archived