MTPLM vs Nose weight

WhiteCheyenneMan

I have a dilemma in my search for a caravan. My choices are limited by my tow car to a Caravan not exceeding 1405kgs. There are still quite a few choices out there but some, such as the Bailey Olympus 464, have a relatively high noseweight for a 'light' caravan. Apparently, with gas bottles stowed, it's nose weight is well over 100kgs and my tow car is limited to 75kgs. Bearing in mind heavy items should be stowed low over the axle, how easy is it likely to be that I can reduce the nose weight to 75kgs by loading up the rear of the van?

On the Caravan Club's previous recommended ratio of noseweight to actual laden weight, assuming the 'van was loaded to its max permissible weight, with no stabiliser device on the hitch or the caravan chassis, 100kg noseweght would be about right. That is to say, about 7% of the actual laden weight should fall on the towball. I understand this has since been reduced to around 5%, but with caveats regarding additional various stability features incorporated either into the hitch, or into the caravan chassis.

Whatever noseweight ratio is accepted, and irrespective of the type of stabiliser device fitted, the one thing not to do is to add weight at the rear to try to counter high noseweight. This risks instability as the caravan suffers what is known as the dumb-bell effect, when the two heavy loads try to oscillate around the caravan axle. This risks becoming an uncontrollable snake with potentially disastrous results.

What I think you are seeing is result of caravans becoming heavier in pursuit of creature comforts, while tow cars have become lighter in pursuit of greater fuel economy. The two are not compatible, and explain why many tuggers now resort to relatively heavy 4x4 vehicles as tow cars.

IMO, it is better in terms of safety and stability to still observe that 7% ratio, because that resulted in good stability under most conditions up to the legal speed limit, and then accept whatever stability device comes with the caravan as a bonus that should prevent instability arising even under bad towing conditions. At least that way if the stability device malfunctions, the rig should remain stable. Others, I know, disagree somewhat on this. But why not talk to the Caravan Club technical advisory service? They should be able to recommend a number of suitable caravan matches for your car.

Archived