Paris

Peggy Corps

We have decided to go to Paris for the Christmas and New Year.

We are booked on the Bois de Boulogne site from a couple of days before Christmas until

the 3rd Jan.

Anyone got any suggestions or bright ideas about .........anything?

Been caravanning in France for 25 years, so know all the basics, just never been to Paris.

Hope you have a magical trip - take plenty of gas just in case the site ehu is overloaded or there are no points available, make sure your heating system is working well, take steps to freeze proof your fresh and waste water systems, take plenty of waterproof and warm clothing and footwear!

Enjoy your trip. However, my cynical mind suggests that the French are even more adept at taking vacations than we are and by that I mean I suspect a lot of things will be closed over the holiday period, museums and galleries etc and certainly Christmas Day/Boxing Day will be very quiet, so be prepared to enjoy life in the van. Public transport will also be runnng a reduced service, however the plus side means you may be able to park in town.

We have spent Christmas in a EU city thinking it would be fun, however, we spent time walking empty streets and watching tv in the hotel. Of course all the locals were at home enjoying themselves with families, naturally enough.

Don't think there will be too many problems.

Le Louvre is closed on Christmas Day and January 1st. Musée d'Orsay is closed on Christmas Day, but open January 1st. What we call Boxing Day is marked as a public holiday only in the Alsace / Lorraine areas.

Two well known, and atmospheric, restaurants - Chartier and Le Polidor - are open every day. They have websites.

The Bateaux- Mouches company are running Christmas Lunch and Evening Dinner Cruises on Christmas Day. You can book on-line.

But in any case, it would be lovely to stroll about and take in the sights, minus crowds. It's a compact city.

Archived