Returnees

THE SHEPHERD

After 30 years motor homing,we are minded to return to carravaning.
We have a ford focus 1.6 and fitted a tow bar last week,we are advised that our Max loading is 1200Kg. Does any one know where we could hire a carravan for half a day to test wether or not the car would be happy.Mrs D is not totaly sold on the idea, so I want to reasure her all would be well. I am 76 so do not intend to go as far as we once did..Any advise greatly appreciated.TS.

You will get a small caravan that is inside your weight limit, but how that would compare to your motorhomes is something only you can answer. Go look at some in dealers to get ideas. If you have never towed before then starting at age 76 is not the wisest but if you do decide then go on one of the Course offered by both main Clubs to get advice and instruction.

When you say you do not intend to 'go far' does that mean to the same site, or many? If the same site could someone not just drive your motorhome there for you, and if you still want to get a caravan then it can be put on a seasonal pitch so you do not have to tow except twice a year, and even then many sites offer storage as well. Look at the Caravan Club website for further info.

hi,

Firstly I would look at towing reports given by a few sites usually. Parkers website is usually pretty good,but you will find others, and you may get an idea what to expect with a correctly matched caravan. We have swapped back from a Motorhome to caravan and finding it overall better. Best of luck

derek

Thanks Dereck,we have manage to borrow a friends unit almost an exact match, but have reluctently decided to take previouse advice and go back after thirty odd years without a carravan to a motor home.Mrs D wont tow but has driven every motor home/van we have ever had,and as twenty years my juniour it wolud seem the thing to do.Thanks to all, and best wishes.TS.

Archived