Solar Panel.

hector

I have a 48watt solar panel (free standing) which i have had for a number of years and has given me good service. It has gone on strike recently and appears to be draining

my battery rather than charging it , I have checked fuses and all connections and all seems to be ok.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

Cheers for now.

The output from a solar panel almost invariably goes through a rectifier to stop discharge from the battery under no charge conditions so this may have gone short circuit check for a reading both ways across the rectifier with an ohm meter if there is a reading both ways it is faulty. If not then you have a short circuit or low resistance across the cable from the solar panel to the battery.

Hope this helps

Dave

Having the controller on a panel is a bad idea, not only is it in all weathers and subject to what nature throws at it, but it prevents the temperature compensator from working and increases potential voltage loss along the cable to the battery.

However my first check would be the battery connections, but you say that you've checked them

Is the battery ok for fluid, have you checked it for holding charge, drop test etc.

Is anything draining the battery over night

Can you check the charge from the solar panel before and after the controller, if you find a problem the next route would be to bypass the controller & fit a good one as close as practically possible to the battery,

a morningstar sunsaver would be my choice

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

There is one thing you have to bear in mind before thinking you have a problem,

The panel can only deliver a maxium of 3.75amp per hour in peak direct sunlight, in england the panel will only deliver a realistic half 1.6 to 2amps maybe 3amps in peak season if your lucky, looking at the original post o this thread in december, your panel would not be delivering anything of worth while other than just enough to keep the display on, on the solar regulator. Your panel would bairly be compensating for 1x 10watt halogen bulb

Have you changed tour caravan simce youve the panel?

I've a similar set up to the OP in that I have a free standing 50 wt panel that I can move to get the maximum from the available sun. I'd be surprised if my battery wasn't full.

This is why I was suggesting he should look at his battery & its connections first.

To get the maximum from my set up & keep power lose to a minimum, I have really good leads from the panel to a morningstar sunsaver regulator, the regulator is within a foot of the 110ah battery, this way it can monitor the batterys charge and temp, plus this meens I'm getting 21 volts along the length of the cable to the controller which also keeps power loss to a minimum.

I also have a mirror in front of the panels to reflect the sun up onto them, I say panels as I have a second set-up to my telly battery ;-)

• 1 month later...

i also have a solar panel (40w) free standing, i have it inside the van against the front window it charges during light not the type that need sun, i was checking the cvan about 3 weeks ago & i switched all the light on when i came away i forgot to switch 2 twin 8watt lights off (32 watts left on in total) i went back along on sunday to check everything was ok thats when i noticed the lights were still on, the battery was in tiptop condition after 3 weeks with the 2 lights on continuously i dont know how low the battery power may have got but it is fully charged, just thought id let the doubters know that this really is worthwile when your caravan is in storage to keep the battery topped up

jamie

• 4 weeks later...

Archived