Which Caravan

alex

Looking to purchase a caravan, in particular we would like a two single bed version. Any recommendations on makes such as Lunar, Sterling, Coachman, Swift, Alddis or Bailey. We would be pleased to hear other carananners views.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi we have had bailey,lunars and our now on an abbey. We had a bailey senator, and were very pleased with that, so you could look at the unicornsor, swifts. Why not have a look at the caravan finder web site you can put in your preferred lay out, so will be able to have a good look first. I think there is good and bad from most manufactures 'We always go on the layout interior that suits us best. Good luck with your search. Linda.

I do not think you should be too disappointed at the lack of replies. Frankly, you are using what is basically a motorhome Forum, even if ti does allow us tuggers a small corner and possibly putting your query on to one of the mainly caravan Forums would get a better response.

Also personally I would never wish to advise anyone regarding a particular caravan as everyone has their own ideas of what makes a good one, or a bad one. A bit like food, we all have different tastes. I, for example prefer EU vans to UK ones as they suit my caravanning style better, plus (in my opinion) they have less faults. Go to forecourts, look at what is on offer and do lie on the beds as many are smaller than they look. Check weights, especially payload as you may be horrified. Once you have a shortlist then look at the various Clubs for that make and see what owners there think.

However at the end of the day it is a decision only you can make.

Dave makes a valid point - you will know doubt get a better set of replies from more people knowledgable about caravans from a designated caravan Forum. Try Practical Caravan.

As for what caravan - a lot of the newer ones have more sophisticated construction - such as Baileys Alutech which i have read good things about.

Sadly i have also read that many caravan manufacturers went from effectively hand building to a kind of "make so many by the end of the week or you don't make your bonus". My chap that services my Wyoming states that this is when things started to go wrong such as rather than drilling pilot holes for the screws they started using screws with sharp pins in the end that forced their way into the structure. This has the unfortunate effect of placing strain on the components such that splits can arise and then water ingress.

But it means that the c'vans can be made quicker and any water ingress can be covered by warranty.

I am always suspicious of anything - cars, caravans, etc. that are "hardly used" - I always ask why?

So i would either buy new from a reputable manufacturer - and do considerable research on the make and model via forums and internet searches before committing, or go for a good s/h c'van where there is a genuine reason for sale.

As for lay out - we love our fixed bed layout as it suits us, but others say that having a fixed bed does little but take up a lot of space and just becomes a dumping ground for "stuff" until it is time to turn-in.

I have pondered a conversion to our fixed bed where the frame is taken out and a new half circle frame put in its place to make a second circular lounge area facing the side window. There is ample space for a second TV to be installed above the window and if designed well the circular seats could easily be transformed to a bed if required. Whilst this is an intriguing concept, i have no reason to do it and so never will, but for someone with kids it would make this layout an option to buy.

If we downsized - our T/A Wyoming is a bit of a beast to tow - we would go for a cvan with either a second lounge at the back or a "coffee bar" seating area as having had these arrangements before, being able to leave the bed made up but still have somewhere to eat in or just relax is very nice and stops that awful making the bed last thing at night and then having to put it all away in the morning.

With a second lounge or coffee-bar arrangement - you can have the best of both worlds if you want.

As much as i like the fixed bed - i am not sure it works that well with the smaller caravans. A compromise is best.

Hope this helps.

CliveH - 2013-10-30 3:00 PM

Dave makes a valid point - you will know doubt get a better set of replies from more people knowledgable about caravans from a designated caravan Forum. Try Practical Caravan.

As for what caravan - a lot of the newer ones have more sophisticated construction - such as Baileys Alutech which i have read good things about.

Sadly i have also read that many caravan manufacturers went from effectively hand building to a kind of "make so many by the end of the week or you don't make your bonus". My chap that services my Wyoming states that this is when things started to go wrong such as rather than drilling pilot holes for the screws they started using screws with sharp pins in the end that forced their way into the structure. This has the unfortunate effect of placing strain on the components such that splits can arise and then water ingress.

But it means that the c'vans can be made quicker and any water ingress can be covered by warranty.

I am always suspicious of anything - cars, caravans, etc. that are "hardly used" - I always ask why?

So i would either buy new from a reputable manufacturer - and do considerable research on the make and model via forums and internet searches before committing, or go for a good s/h c'van where there is a genuine reason for sale.

As for lay out - we love our fixed bed layout as it suits us, but others say that having a fixed bed does little but take up a lot of space and just becomes a dumping ground for "stuff" until it is time to turn-in.

I have pondered a conversion to our fixed bed where the frame is taken out and a new half circle frame put in its place to make a second circular lounge area facing the side window. There is ample space for a second TV to be installed above the window and if designed well the circular seats could easily be transformed to a bed if required. Whilst this is an intriguing concept, i have no reason to do it and so never will, but for someone with kids it would make this layout an option to buy.

If we downsized - our T/A Wyoming is a bit of a beast to tow - we would go for a cvan with either a second lounge at the back or a "coffee bar" seating area as having had these arrangements before, being able to leave the bed made up but still have somewhere to eat in or just relax is very nice and stops that awful making the bed last thing at night and then having to put it all away in the morning.

With a second lounge or coffee-bar arrangement - you can have the best of both worlds if you want.

As much as i like the fixed bed - i am not sure it works that well with the smaller caravans. A compromise is best.

Hope this helps.

All valid but it again is determined by what style of caravanning you wish to do. We prefer to spend the summers in the south of Spain so are outside the van for the majority of the day and evening, so although we only have a medium sized van, the fixed bed layout works very well. However, if you spend a lot of time in the UK then wet weekends are a common hazard and more internal space may be an advantage. Also the larger UK vans will not fit the pitches in many EU sites, about 7 meters shipping length seems to be the norm.

As for quality then again it is a bit of 'Hobson's Choice' Some owners will tell you Brand A is excellent while others will moan about it. Unfortunately it is a bit of the luck of the draw.

One thing that does appear to be common is that per foot of length EU vans have greater payloads than UK ones as they cut down on the 'extras'. Again this is a factor of the caravanning style between Europe and the UK. These 'extras' however, you may feel are essential. Again it is your choice whether you carry them as fixed items, or use the payload for other things.

Totally agree Dave

We seem to spend a lot of our time in the cvan when the weather is bad. And I am NOT complaining! To us - bizarre as it may seem to some - a weekend dog walking and relaxing in our "autumnal" weather is an absolute delight. Rain on the caravan roof seems like a lullaby to me.

And there is a bizarre pleasure to sitting in our porch awning overseeing the halogen oven and the steamer with a glass of Rioja (what else :-S B-) (lol) ) and planning a superb Sunday dog walking and exploring!

The issue I seriously consider from all angles - on a regular basis - is what do we need to change when we travel down to warmer climes in the winters of the not too distant future,

I a not sure the set up we have now will be suitable for a warm winter in the south of Portugal or Spain.

Will I need my long Johns?

Should I wear them on the beach?????

B-)

That subject is another kettle of fish, or can of worms depending on your outlook. Some will tell you that shorts are the everyday wear while others will tell you of snow and heavy rain. Personally I avoid wintering in Spain or equivalent for a number of reasons.

Long dark nights, Too many old Brits (I am a pensioner but not that old.....yet), shortage of space and likelyhood of war with wife in a very short space of time. cold seawater, swimming pool full of doddery Germans all shouting at each other as they are deaf, many restaurants closed, little savings as the electricity not used is more than offset by site fees. Too many old Brits (oops already mentioned that one) but the cliques make me shudder. Laundry less easy as too many people on the site. (old Brits again)

We prefer winter here in Edinburgh as it is a lot of fun, we do get sunny days and there is enough space in the house for both us to cohabit in peace. Have just put the cover on the van today for the winter and am counting the days (sort of) to April when we head south just as the snowbirds are going home. Get the site to ourselves so can have our 'private' swimmingpool. Can watch the summer season getting going and be tempted to try the sea. Lounge about at 10 pm at night and it is still daylight. Have a laugh as the Spanish all arrive and the sardines get BBQ'd, but smelly though. But at least they laugh and giggle, not like moaning old Brits (oops said that one yet again)

However we do have airconditioning for the high season. Found we needed that to avoid cooking. Expensive yes, but worth it especially to keep the 'boss' happy.

So, you take your choice.

Archived