toilet fluid

Sunny

Has anyone tried using washing liquid in the caravan toilet instead of the expensive ones sold in caravan shops? Have been told that several motorhome owners have used it in the past. Any thoughts on this ? :D :$

Not on its own

But I do occasionally squirt a dollop of washing up liquid in as it acts as a better "cleaner" for the cassette.

I have tried cheaper blue liquid and frankly the smell was awful. The harshness of the cheap blue stuff caught the back of our throats.

Using a reputable brand with a bit of washing up liquid as an additive every so often seems to work for us.

I agree the unit price of the stuff is high but I think you need to keep it in perspective. If you use sites then use the camp facilities where possible and save your own. If you are not using sites then dare I suggest the saving on site fees is being balanced by greater use of your own faciltiies. At the end of the day the costs will be what you wish.

We tend to use camp sites virtually all the time and a bottle of 'blue' lasts well over a full season so on a per day price, is low. Adding other products may be an option but do check the disposal point is capable of taking it. It may not be so funny to see foam pouring out of the disposal point, even if it is 'kind to your hands'.

Guest pelmetman
My 23 year cassette has seen its fare share of doo doo's :D.................we used the expensive stuff to start with for the first 15 years or so...............then they changed the recipe on the pink stuff and we started getting black bits in the flush water *-)...............since then have tried all sorts :D............but at the moment use washing up liquid in the flush tank (dont use too much 8-)) and dishwasher tabs in the cassette.............not cheap ones either ;-)......................the turd scale is slowly reducing from my cassette :D

Some advocate Washing Liquid, the cloths washing type, not washing up liquid. I've tried it but not 100% convinced. Now I buy from Go Outdoors, usualy have something at good price and sometimes at half price.

colin - 2013-07-05 10:17 AM

Some advocate Washing Liquid, the cloths washing type, not washing up liquid....

Yeah we've used the bio "laundry" liquid for a few years now and have got on well enough with it.

We think it smells far better than the "proper" stuff ,nor does it stain if you happen to spill any and the supermarket "own brand" stuff is only about a quid a litre.

(..I should clarify by saying that we use it in the cassette only, as our flush water comes from the main tank).

Guest pelmetman
josie gibblebucket - 2013-07-07 10:19 PM

Cooo, you lot are slumming it on the caravan forum :D :D :D :D

We aint posh :D..........

.............let me know if your thinking of selling your posh..... Romini though ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I use DOUSSY clothes washing liquid detergent available from all LIDLE stores, put this in the cassette (not in the flushing tank) smells better than the regular Blue Flush, does a better job, contains no harmful Formaldehyde, wont stain your hands or clothes if accidentally spilt and costs a hell of a lot less.

Regards

Willy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman
ips - 2013-08-12 11:28 AM

You motorhome owners are a tight fisted bunch. All that dosh for a fancy MH and you are too measly to buy some proper toilet chemical (lol)

You need to be affluent to afford effluent chemicals :D......................

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ips - 2013-08-12 12:28 PMYou motorhome owners are a tight fisted bunch. All that dosh for a fancy MH and you are too measly to buy some proper toilet chemical (lol)

Well my home in Dordogne has a septic tank and therefore any product using Formaldehyde is a total no no but Lidles Wash tabs smell OK and don't harm the septic tank either.

As for SOGs may not smell while you use them but at emptying time its enough to make the queue behind you gag :-)

• 2 months later...
ips - 2013-08-12 11:28 AM

You motorhome owners are a tight fisted bunch. All that dosh for a fancy MH and you are too measly to buy some proper toilet chemical (lol)

Ian, just because you've migrated to the Caravan side of the forum, don't feel you should try and repel ( helpful?) boarders.

Hows the van going by the way?

Archived