BMW X3 2ltr, Automatic

Stewart Hendry

• 1 month later...

Hi Stewart,

I have been towing a 2012 Bailey Unicorn Seville for the past 3 years with an X3 2L automatic.

I have found it an excellent tow car, with plenty of power under all circumstances.

By trial and error, I found that the optimum nose weight was 92Kg.

Now I have changed the caravan to a 2015 Cadiz and also find that it tows well with the X3.

If you decide to buy an X3, be aware that the electric towbar is much cheaper to have installed from new than retrospectively (£670 as opposed to £2,000 in my case).

The 2 Litre engine is more than up to the job, and the car's 'Sports Mode' makes easy work of towing on winding, uneven surfaces.

Good luck with your choice.

Many thanks for your reply which was most helpful. Currently I have a bike rack which sits behind the fixed towball of our Freelander. I understand that by using the BMW towball set up it automatically electronically alters the engine /gearbox settings making it more suitable for the stresses of towing but this configuration would mean I have to find a way of carrying my bike (don't want to use roof rack). My wife's folder goes in the car.

I can of course fit a fixed towing bracket but am concerned about the fact that the engine doesn't recognise that it is towing as it does with the BMW fitted item.

Do you have any thoughts on this aspect?

Regards, Stewart

Archived