Honda CR-V tow bar (fitting of)

Corky 8

Hi, I,m normally on the Motorhome Forum but I need assistance on a Vehicle Towbar fitment, I have a 2011 Honda CR-V, 2.2 Diesel, I need to fit a towbar for use with the two 7cwt Trailer,s I have.  I have purchased a Witter towbar listed for my Vehicle, and intend to buy the specified electric 7 pin socket and wiring, (not the bypass type) I have fitted many towbars myself in the past but have now been told my vehicle Warranty will be Void if I fit the towbar myself, I phoned my Local Honda dealer who confirmed this adding they would charge up to £600 to fit the towbar and Electrics, as the electrics require the removal of the interior of the Vehicle for fitting of the Electric,s ,I surmised if I bought the specific kit for my Vehicle some £150 worth of wiring this would just plug in to the existing wiring loom, has anyone fitted thier own towbar and electrics to a Honda CR-V, Thanks for any advice offered.

Sounds a bit mean. Usually as long as the tow bar is EU approved and fitted to the correct mountings, then the warranty is not affected. Wiring may be a problem on some vehicles and in mycase it was just as easy, and the same price, to get the dealer to do that bit.

Check with Honda direct, not just the Dealer as he may be 'chancing his arm' for the work.

Thanks for the replies, I've decided to wait till next June when the Warranty ends, I will then fit the towbar and Electrics myself, the towbar is a piece of Cake to fit as all the holes are already pre drilled in the Car,s Chassis, the electric,s look quite simple as I've read the fitting instructions for the Wiring and the interior removal is limited to trim on the drivers side for the fitting of one cable to the existing fuse box the remainder are in the rear Quarter panels,  But I will have words with the Honda Agent where I bought it from and whom will be servicing the vehicle for me , ref Rip off prices. thanks again to those who responded.

Corky 8 - 2013-08-29 8:02 PM

Thanks for the replies, I've decided to wait till next June when the Warranty ends, I will then fit the towbar and Electrics myself, the towbar is a piece of Cake to fit as all the holes are already pre drilled in the Car,s Chassis, the electric,s look quite simple as I've read the fitting instructions for the Wiring and the interior removal is limited to trim on the drivers side for the fitting of one cable to the existing fuse box the remainder are in the rear Quarter panels,  But I will have words with the Honda Agent where I bought it from and whom will be servicing the vehicle for me , ref Rip off prices. thanks again to those who responded.

If you are doing the electrcis yourself do check that no re-programming is required unless you ahve the software. Things that usually need to be adjusted are the rear fog lights on the car and the reversing lights, so these do not operate when towing. The other thing to note is whether you are fitting a 12S and 12N socket set or a 13 pin one. The other thing to think about is that a Witter agent will do the whole job for you probably at not a great cost. Indespension are usually the local dealers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived