Mirrors

Mr. Grumpy

I would like some advice on suitable mirrors for our Peugeot 407, especially those that are no good for the auto folding wing mirrors fitted to our car; I know this can be switched off but I like to get them out of the way when parked. I have been recommended mirrors which stick to the glass and so leave the electric adjustment operable but I don't know if a) the original mirrors are large enough for the rubber suckers to fit properly and b) if the added weight will damage the electric motors in the mirror.

Any advice appreciated.

• 2 months later...
I have the ones that clamp to the top of the mirror with a strap around the back. Got them from Halfords at about £20 but a few years ago now. They do not impare the mirrors folding in at all unless you have the outer mirror really folded in towards the car, in which case I acnnot see anything.

• 2 weeks later...

My 'view' , no pun intended, on the "stuck on" mirrors is that they rob you of the valuable image in the existing mirror. I really want as much info when towing as possible so want to be able to see both the image in the extension and in the built on mirrors. This does facilitate the widest possible field of view; I cant have too much rear view info.

I again have come down on the side of the Milenco Aero for my current vehicle after 30 plus years of towing with various earlier designs.

You will though need to 'borrow' the demonstrator mirrors from the shop and go test them to see if they physically fit. Issues to check include:

is there enough clearance between the actual glass and the vehicles mirror casing; do they work better on the bottom or top of the casing and will the mirror still be remotely adjustable;

do you need the extension arms and what would happen when folding the mirror or it getting slammed back.

The last point is IMO very important as the inner end of the arm can impact on the vehicles door with risk of damage there or causing the 'ripping off' of the mirror.

I make a point of fixing them with the mirror folded to ensure the clearance is there, I actually trimmed a small piece off the arm to optimise the fit . I do like to know that I can fold the mirror with them on for use like on a ferry.

[For my years with LR Defenders I made my own up from some old ones which were probably the best of all in that the home machined fixings were actually screwed into the vehicles mirror mounting, but these vehicles lend themselves to such mods which many don't.]

I use a pair of convex Milenco Grand Aero's with extension arms which gives me an excellent view down both sides of the van. I have tried various mirrors over the years and apart from the SMAT Week Enders I had many years ago the Milenco have been far the best. You will always get a mix of views on whether you should have flat, cobvex or a mix of both but that has got to be a individual decision. I feel the convex give me the best view as my car has convex mirrors so I get similar view with both car and towing mirror. I agree with Ocsid about the stick on mirrors.

David

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies and advice. We have been given a pair of strap on mirrors (strong rubber bands) which seem to work OK with our van which is quite narrow. We are going on a CC towing course next month and I'll get the chance to see what others are using and try out a few but the Milenco Aero seems the most popular option.

Archived