You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Caravans -> Towing Chat
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Suitable Match
AuthorMessage
userTartdog
Posted: 1 May 2013 8:15 PM
Subject: Suitable Match

Just joined

Hi I have a VW Jetta 1.9 SE TDI DSG and am looking at a Sterling Europa 460 2 berth van am wondering how I find out if it is a suitable match,I have read about the 85% rule and on another site the result I was getting was 87% is this with the van empty without any personal items/awnings etc? please advice.
userjosie gibblebucket
Posted: 1 May 2013 10:04 PM
Subject: RE: Suitable Match

Pillar of the forums

Have you checked out the tow match tool in the caravan section of this site?
userDave225
Posted: 4 May 2013 8:13 PM
Subject: RE: Suitable Match

Forum master

Work out the kerb weight of your tow car and the MTPLM of the caravan. You can legally tow up to 100% of the kerbweight but many Organisations prefer a limit of 85% as a safety factor, but it is not obligatory. Also do check in your car book what is the maximum weight your particular model can tow. Again, this is a absolute maximum and not to be taken as a norm. Some models have lower weights due to transmissions etc. Your VIN plate on your car will show this total car and trailer weight as the maximum Train Weight.

Looking at one of the comparison sites you can tow this van but you are not going to have sparkling performance as you are about 87% kerbweight. You may find you are changing gears a lot to keep up.

http://www.towcar.info/report.php

Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator