Towbar Fitting

Gearbox1056

Looking to get a towbar fitted to my 2016 Mazda CX5 and from geberal reading it appears that a manufacturers harness is recommended but the potential fittings I have spoken to say this adds a lot ofwork/time and bettefr to fit relays that do the job better and are quicker to fit.

Has anybody and bar fitted to a CX5 and what did they do ?

• 10 months later...

I’ve been out of the industry for around 13 years but can say that while fitting the electrics with bypass relays will work, the vehicle doesn't ‘know’ it has a trailer on the back. This can seriously affect safety software fitted... like electronic stability control....

A classic case in my day was the Range Rover. With the OE compatible wiring, the vehicle would lower itself 50mm at speeds in excess of 40mph when a trailer was attached. This improved stability significantly.

TonyEmm - 2020-09-28 8:21 PM

A classic case in my day was the Range Rover. With the OE compatible wiring, the vehicle would lower itself 50mm at speeds in excess of 40mph when a trailer was attached. This improved stability significantly.

Tony,

You've got the logic the wrong way around, connecting a trailer actually inhibits the motorway speed lowered suspension setting rather than activates it. This is to prevent changing the balance of the trailer. The actual speed that the suspension lowers at varies by age of model from around 50 mph to 100 mph on some models! With a drop of typically 20 to 25 mm.

Keith.

Archived