Towing Weights

candapack

Most motoring and caravanning organisations recommend a towing limit of max. 85% of the towcars kerbweight, rising to an absolute max. of 100% for an experienced tugger.

Looking at the C&CC's towcar awards in this months magazine, there are a lot of cars with a towing limit much higher than the car's kerbweight.

Why is this, and do many people tow up to the manufacturer's towing limit as opposed to the recommended 85%/100% recommendations?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Also, following the CC towcar of the year. It's a car that weighs 1415Kg and it's shown towing a 'van that weighs 1374Kg this is about 97%. If you were to fit a mover, that would make it 100% I reckon. :-S

Why don't they group cars in towing weight capabilities, rather than price??

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined, today, so, hopefully, I can help a little with this one.

Towing legislation has tightened up a lot in recent years, which means we are much more restricted in terms of what we are legally allowed to tow. For example; I passed my test before 1 January 1997, so I can tow up to 8,250kg, but, if I passed after that date, I would be restricted to 3,500kg (or 4,500kg, if the trailer is less than 750kg - work that one out!!).

Easiest way to describe it is that some cars are, simply, more powerful than others, and can pull more weight, relative to their own weight. For example, a big 7 seater people carrier may, conceivably, weigh the same as a Land Rover, but we wouldn't expect them to pull the same weight. A cars ability to pull a given weight (it's strength) is not always directly related to its size, or its own weight.

The authorities, in their wisdom, have determined that it is not safe to tow a trailer that is heavier than your own car, which is probably fair enough. Doesn't mean your car hasn't got the power to pull it though.

As a basic example, a Land Rover Defender has the power to, in round figures, tow up three and a half tonne. However, the car, itself, weighs only two tonne, and, hence, this is its legal towing limit. The fact that it has the power to pull heavier loads in, now, irrelevant.

So, to answer your question, if you do tow above the 100% kerb weight limit, you will be driving illegally, even though the car will probably feel fine in doing so.

I should probably just add, just to clarify; the 85% rule is a recommendation. The 100% rule is law.,

• 6 months later...

A little confusion here between a simple recommendation for inexperienced drivers and the max weight the vehicle can pull from a standing start on a 1 in 10 slope.

The former has regard to caravan stability at legal speeds and the ability to stop on a downhill gradient.

The latter makes no reference to stability or stopping.

A Landrover towing another Landrover or a four wheel flat bed trailer has not the same concern for stability as towing a caravan on a single axle in a cross wind!

Finally the legal tow limit is the plated Gross Train Weight irrespective of stability.

As the CC technical advisor aptly put at the National rally its not the ability to pull up hill but ability to stop that finally counts.

• 4 months later...
Blue Sky - 2014-11-24 9:42 AMSo, to answer your question, if you do tow above the 100% kerb weight limit, you will be driving illegally, even though the car will probably feel fine in doing so.

I should probably just add, just to clarify; the 85% rule is a recommendation. The 100% rule is law.,

Not true:

The manufacturer's plated weights are what controls what you can tow, as per the VIN plate on the car.

We tow a 3500kg 6-wheel drawbar turntable trailer with our Discovery, completely legally:

Peter

• 6 months later...

Hi,

The 85% RECOMENDATION is for INEXPERIENCED towers pulling a CARAVAN. Caravans handle differently from other trailers.

My 1959 Land Rover doesn't have a towing limit, so in theory, it is limited to the 3,500kg limit for overrun brakes. In practice, 2000kg is more realistic.

If your car cannot stop a trailer, no matter how heavy, then the trailer brakes need attention.

If your tow-car and trailer combined exceed MAM of your licence entitlement, then you are driving without a licence, which voids your third party insurance.

The manufacturers plate controls what your car MAY tow, not whether you are licenced to drive it.

If you hold a Cat.B only licence, there is little difference between your entitlements to tow with a Discovery or an Austin Metro.

Archived