noisy alko stabilizer hitch!

barrie w

good evening,

could any one suggest how i can get rid of the terrible graunch that comes from the alko hitch on my sterckerman starlett.we've tried driving around, polishing the ball with wet & dry etc etc. all to no avail.

HELP it's driving us mad.

thanks

barrie

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem with ours over the summer, especially when we had done loads of miles.

Tried spraying inside the hitch with brake cleaner, which only had a minor effect on the noise.

Renewed the friction pads, which at first I thought had solved the problem, however by the time I reached the Vendee in France, the noise was back with a vengeance.

Just to eliminate the noise coming from somewhere else, I lifted the stabiliser arm up while driving through the site to our pitch........... silence.

I never got to the bottom of the problem before selling up.

• 7 months later...

Very late comment to your question about noisy Alko stabiliser.

We experienced this problem whilst in Cornwall last year and I gave the ball and the inside of the hitch a good cleaning with brake cleaner, I left it overnight and repeated the operation the following afternoon. That cured it completely and it hasn't squeaked once since. I was talking to one of the mechanics at our dealers and he said regular cleaning does no harm because the hitch does pick up dust and grit from the road on a long journey. I suppose that makes lots of sense really if you think about it. Good Luck, although I am sure that your problem has been solved for a while by now!

Archived