towing a car on trailer

yellowjonboy

Hi has anyone out there towing a small car on a trailer,with a motorhome,trying to find out about the tolls,and cost,our car+caravan,was in class 2,but now with the M/H,dont know.been on the sites for info and its a bit of a mine field,my M/H =24ft 8inch= 7.5mtre long and 2.7 mitr 9ft high.and weight =mtplm 3500kg,so think class 2,but if i have a trailer with a car, do they class this as a 3rd axle,or would it be heavier than the 3500kg,or would it be classed as its lenght overall approx 38ft,cant find any answers :-(

As stated by Brian, re posting this may be a good idea.

However, I suspect you will have to look at the Gross Train Weight of the total outfit and whether this is acceptable for your vehicle. I have a suspicion that Tolls will class you as class 3 because of your size and although you may find it different, you may have to argue your case. Why not just consider avoiding the motorways altogether and avoid any issues. Alternatively, the difference in cost is not that much dare I state compared to the total cost of the trip.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

I depends!! I Was charged as 4axle With a "caratow" 4 axle with a B-J 2axle trailer and 3 axle in some places . its a complete Lottery!!! I was also classed as an HGV in Spain and got away with a lower charge!!! . As a poster said Avoid altogether OR be prepared to pay in full and offset the cost against total!!

Another reason I no longer venture over our beloved "channel" . I do it in the USA where they know how to treat Tourists properly

Pete

Archived