trikes - help

ROON

Hi know there are acouple of posts dotted about the site re this but they don't seem to be traceable.

Any help on a tow bar for a trike would be appreciated. My Eldiss doesn't appear to be able to tow too much weight so lightweight towbar on the van itself would be better but what do I do re the trike to keep weight down? You will see from this I am complete rooky.

I have had a lot of advice re towing weights for cars but it is the towing equipment itself on a trike which is completely new to me. Thank you. Joy

ROON - 2009-07-09 4:46 PM .......... Any help on a tow bar for a trike would be appreciated.

First things first, Joy.  A towbar is the bit that has the towball fixed to it, at the back of your van, so that you are able to tow things with it.  Is that what you mean, or is it the drawbar you mean, which is the bit that goes between a trailer and the towball/towbar?

You'll need to define a trike (presumed short for tricycle).  The small ones are often red, and have pedals on the front wheel, then there are the electric ones often used by the disabled, and on up to the large ones, which tend to have VW beetle engines (or larger) and frequently fur covered seats! :-)

My Eldiss doesn't appear to be able to tow too much weight so lightweight towbar on the van itself would be better but what do I do re the trike to keep weight down?

The towbar self-weight will not be affected by what you tow, since it cannot realistically be purpose designed down to a specified weight (design costs for a one off, and the risk it may be overloaded later).  If a motorised tricycle is not specifically designed to be towed as a trailer it will probably need to be carried on a trailer.  If the trike is designed to tow as a trailer, the maker should be able to advise on suitable towbars.

.................. I have had a lot of advice re towing weights for cars but it is the towing equipment itself on a trike which is completely new to me. Thank you. Joy

The principle will be the same whatever you tow.  The weight limitation on what you can tow is set by the towing vehicle.  Provided you stay within its GTW (provided your license permits) you can tow up to that limit.

Does this help?

Cheeky Brian :-D

Yes, thank you it did help. There seem to be several towing frames for bikes and I was unsure which was best. However, today I have been phoning around and it seems that finance comes into it.... the best one is too much for me as it stands, so I have decided now what to do.

Once more, thank you again for always being so helpful.

Regards, Joy

Joy

These are links to three earlier forum threads in which you mentioned trikes and towing.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14952&posts=11

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15449&posts=16

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15994&posts=15

The first thread seems to cover trike-towing in some detail.

I can't see the weight of any normal motorcycle-based trike really being an issue in your case, though I guess it might possibly become so if you placed the thing on a trailer rather than towed it on its wheels via an 'arm'.

I'd be more wary of potential instability when towing a trike on its wheels, but that's just gut-feeling and not based on any practical experience.

Guest Tracker
ROON - 2009-07-10 4:02 PM

RICHARD!!!!! How can I possibly fit you on the back of those??? ;-)

Joy

T'would be cosy Joy - but I'm game if you are - just don't tell Dot!

• 2 weeks later...

There are no right or wrong ways - just different!

Hi,

Its good to here that. I once towed a Reliant trike home on a dolly. Rear wheels on the dolly, steering locked up by tying the steering wheel to a plank poked through both windows.

No problems, but I was glad to get home without attracting attention.

There is a bloke on http://www.r3w.co.uk/ asking what his (home-made?) trike can tow.

Archived