Beginner advice

Administrator

Guest Tracker

Forget it and buy a Motorhome!

Several points come to mind -

Will my car tow it and is there enough payload?

Try test driving a car / caravan outfit before parting with any cash?

Be aware of high site fees in school holiday periods?

Take into account the cost of all the extras you will need - battery, water containers, awning, pots & pans, club membership(s) etc to name but a few?

No doubt there are many others?

1. Find somewhere to store it before you buy

2.Caravans are heavy to move when not attached to the car. Are you physically up to it, or should you purchase one with a mover.

3.Do you really need an awning, a wide out canopy is easier to put up(and you don't argue with the missus).

4. Look at loads of layouts, fixed double beds have their advantages but waking your other half up is no fun when you get up to go to the loo

5. Walk in showers are brilliant but if you are in the habit of using sites with showers the space could be used for something else

6 Look for the biggest fridge you can find in the layout you want.

7. Get a spare wheel

8 Join a breakdown service. It's hard to jack up a caravan with a flat because they are so low down on the road(It's bound to be raining and probably on a motor way)

9 Are you happy with your ability to tow?

10 Get some GOOD mirrors

11.Make sure your weights are correct for your towing vehicle

12 Enjoy , get it right and you will have a wonderful time

1. Find somewhere to store it before you buy

2.Caravans are heavy to move when not attached to the car. Are you physically up to it, or should you purchase one with a mover.

3.Do you really need an awning, a wide out canopy is easier to put up(and you don't argue with the missus).

4. Look at loads of layouts, fixed double beds have their advantages but waking your other half up is no fun when you get up to go to the loo

5. Walk in showers are brilliant but if you are in the habit of using sites with showers the space could be used for something else

6 Look for the biggest fridge you can find in the layout you want.

7. Get a spare wheel

8 Join a breakdown service. It's hard to jack up a caravan with a flat because they are so low down on the road(It's bound to be raining and probably on a motor way)

9 Are you happy with your ability to tow?

10 Get some GOOD mirrors

11.Make sure your weights are correct for your towing vehicle

12 Enjoy , get it right and you will have a wonderful time

Sorry just realised it said "one" thing, Ho well done it now

Guest Tracker
fred22 - 2011-03-08 2:32 PM

My contribution appears twice because the first time I pressed the submit button nothing appeared to happen, so I pressed it again.

This is known as the forum anathema - FA for short!

So called because it gives you the illusion that sweet FA is happening and your submission failed whereas in reality your submission did not fail but although sweet FA is happening while the system catches it's breath it will get there eventually if you are patient enough!

If you get back into edit it within the first 30 minutes you can delete the message, but not the title, which does at least give you the chance to post something witty to mask the original cock up!

1. Check your driving licence covers you for the combined weights of car and caravan. If you passed your test after 1997 then you will be severely limited!

2. If restricted to poor choice by 1. above then follow Trackers advice and buy a Motor Home (albeit will have to be below 3,500 kg MAM).

Simples!

Never listen to anyone else, as they all consider themselves 'experts. Even after 35 years I am still an 'idiot' a lot of the time.

OK, I am 'funning' but finding things out for yourself is usually the best way to learn.

Also never believe anything a motorhome owner tells you as they are jealous when you erect your full awning and invite them for drinkies, and also when you swan off to see the local sites and they cannot even get into the supermarket due to a height barrier. PLus when they pay 50% more on the autoroutes for an outfit shorter than yours. Hee! Hee! Actually, having been a motorhome owner in the past those are based on personal experience.

However, if there is one thing I think anyone should consider is that neither caravans or motorhomes are cheap hobbies. Add up all the costs and consider the time you will use it, and whether it is really worth it. If you want to just tour then a B&B may offer a reasonable option.

Also if you are a wife and have never done it before, do not allow your spouse to convince you that it is the ideal way to spend your retirement. Looking at the number of almost brand new outfits 'returned' to forecourts, with a sign in the window 'divorce pending' will demoinstrate that one.

Sorry, like others more than 1 comment

• 2 months later...

Archived