What gadget can't you live without?

BenH

Is there anything you take away with you that would ruin your hoiday if left at home?

Mad about your mover? Bonkers without your Blackberry? In love with your iPad?

What couldn't you leave behind once you've hitched up?

My Garmin Sat Nag without a doubt because as well as saving my marriage :-) by performing its basic function; it also contains POI's for Fuel, Cash points, Supermarchés, Camp sites and Aires.

It means now that our touring breaks ( not holidays because we are permanently on holiday) are now point and go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Kettle yes! - cannot live without Tea!!

But most recent "gadget" must have is the Halogen Oven. Cooks better than the gas oven in the van - uses the hook-up power rather than "my gas" - and has a self cleaning function. Have done a full roast dinner with ease. Fantastic value at c. £30.

Would also add our much older "Steamer" that cooks veg and some meats (chicken and fish especially) better that using the gas hob as again it uses hook-up power. Can use both in awning or just outside and so keep cooking smells etc out of cvan. Salmon wrapped in foil with herbs and garlic, new potatoes and fresh beans is an absolute favourite of ours. Superb.

Retread24800 - 2012-04-10 5:08 PM

My Garmin Sat Nag without a doubt because as well as saving my marriage :-.

I have to disagree with you. Ours causes more disagreements, as it takes some strange routes!!

PJay - 2012-07-02 11:10 AM
Retread24800 - 2012-04-10 5:08 PMMy Garmin Sat Nag without a doubt because as well as saving my marriage :-.
I have to disagree with you. Ours causes more disagreements, as it takes some strange routes!!

At least we can now agree that that b"'(-y Garmin woman is at fault when she demands that we take a cart track and "we" feel smug that is wasn't a failure in SHMBO's perfect map reading or my failure to understand chrystal clear instructions from the Co-Pilot :-)

And can I add to the list? A spirit level and a compass so that I can find the direction the satellite should be if it wasnt blocked by trees as the best spot is nice and shady.

Gosh!! there are a few actually, not thought of it before -

Nature pure water filter

SOG system

Tom Tom

Gaslow

I suppose we could manage without all those but the TT, so would have to go with that, would be sat on drive along time otherwise :-D :-D I use to love map reading but wouldn't even attempt it now on most journeys. Never thought I would like it till I took a job working all around Northants district, don't know what I would do without one now.

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...
Dont understand the obsession with Sat Navs. I have been a delivery driver for nearly 20 years covering most of northern Scotland and always rely on maps. I had a satnav in my last van (came with the van) and I tried it out on a few routes when I knew where I was going. The routes it tried to take me beggared belief. I've stuck to maps ever since. I also get regular calls from other drivers asking for directions, cos their sat nav hadn't taken them where they wanted to go. Travelled round Europe a couple of years ago and never got lost once thanks to a decent map.

• 2 weeks later...

Wullie, I know what you mean. I think it's bad that people rely on sat-navs, but I don't think there's any harm in using them. Most products these days are reasonably reliable if you're not confident map reading alone. They're very useful around cities to get warnings of one-way systems you may not be aware of, for example.

That said, I spent a week driving around the Rhone-Alpe region of France without a sat-nav. A couple of mistakes were made but for the most part it was great!

Hmmm gadgets?...well whilst not actually gadgets the post says:

Is there anything you take away with you that would ruin your holiday if left at home?

So depending on our destination it would be:

Staying somewhere flat and good for cycling..........our pushbikes so we can get out and about and buy the G&T we forgot.....:-)

Staying somewhere hilly and where cycles are just too much effort.....Gin & tonic.

Staying somewhere scenic....my camera.

Wherever we pitch up.....the awning crank handle.  The awning always comes out rain or shine so we can enjoy being outdoors as much as possible.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

OK not a gadget but my dog.  Went without her one year and I really missed her (although taking her really limits what we can do).

My double skillet, use it for pretty well every cooked meal.

My kindle, I'd have to take so many books we wouldn't have room for anything else.

The bike, our first french holiday with no bikes was this spring because it was a new van and we hadn't got a rack yet, kept thinking 'I'll just nip there on the bike' then realised I hadn't got one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived