Winter caravanning

Administrator

Winter caravanning  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Despite having a largish 85 Watt solar cell we find we need an EHU for winter caravanning of more than two nights.

Use only propane.

If you have not got an inboard water tank keep 5 litres in a container inside van.

Use a porch awning so wet kit does not need to come in van, as humid air/condensation rather than cold is the bigger issue.

Take TV plus some DVDs as evenings are very long and often van bound.

In some ways we find city venues with their variety of day and evening "outing opportunities" work both better in winter than summer and better than winter stays in remote locations.

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in my Swift Kontiki for 12 months 2008/9 whilst working in Belfast docks. The layout was first class but like most British built motor homes the insulation left a lot to be desired.

But I would ask the question, "why are the MMM and other powerful lobby groups not putting pressure on the British Manufacturers of motor homes to adopt the Continental insulation standards".

The cost difference between the British polystyrene and the Continental polyurethane is not a valid argument, personally I believe people would be willing to pay the extra for this, or even better insulation if given the choice.

If British motor homes had the same standard of winterisation as the Continental ones maybe owners would be more willing to extend their season.

Archived