You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

[Frozen]
 Forums ->  Code of Conduct and User Guidelines -> Forum User Guide
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Frozen
Format:  Go
Forums FAQ
AuthorMessage
userOAL Moderator
Posted: 23 March 2006 10:12 AM
Subject: Forums FAQ

Only Human

We've had lots of people emailing us to ask us various things about the new forums - so here's a list of the most commonly-asked questions and their answers.
userOAL Moderator
Posted: 31 March 2006 1:26 PM
Subject: RE: Forums FAQ

Only Human

Q: I subscribe to MMM, can I enter my subscriber name and number to access the forums? A: No - you do not need to be a subscriber to read or post on the forums. If you haven't already done so, register with a username and password. Please view the 'You and your profile' topic for more information on this topic.
userOAL Moderator
Posted: 31 March 2006 1:27 PM

Only Human

Q: My email address is visible to other registered forum users. How can I hide it?
A: Click on the "Control Panel" link near the top of the screen, and untick the box that says "Is your e-mail publically viewable?". Users also have the option to hide their email addresses during the registration process - it is below the fields for ICQ, MSN, AIM etc.
Please view the 'You and your profile' topic for more information on this topic.
userOAL Moderator

Only Human

Q: My profile contains other information I'd rather others didn't see. Is there any way to hide it?
A: The only way others can view your information is if you provide it! If there's anything you don't want other to know, just amend your profile and delete any sensitive data.
We strongly warn against putting any explicitly identifying data in your profile to guard against identity theft. And NEVER post your financial details in public view!
Please view the 'You and your profile' topic for more information on this topic.
userOAL Moderator

Only Human

Q: Can I advertise items for sale via the forums?

A: Our Motorhomes for sale section allows visitors to advertise large items, such as Motorhomes, both on the website and in our magazines (MMM and What Motorhome).

There is also a Cash Mart section for items with a selling price of under £100 - best of all, it's free! You can pay a small amount for items that are over £100 or use this link to advertise your motorhome itself.
userOAL Moderator
Posted: 31 March 2006 1:28 PM

Only Human

Q: I'm having trouble keeping track of the threads I'm interested in. Is there a way 'keep them to hand', so to speak?
A: There are two ways to keep track of threads easily - the first is to enable email notification. To do this, click on the 'Toggle email notification' link underneath the most recent response. This means that when a reply is posted you'll be sent an email notification.
The other way is to use the 'New threads' link in your toolbar at the top of the forums screen (you must be logged in to use this feature). This will present you with a list of threads that have been updated since your last visit - if the name of the thread you're interested in doesn't appear, it means that there have been no new posts since the last time you used the forums.
You can also choose how you want to 'order' the threads on the forum screen - 'Creation' displays the posts in the order which they were started (newest first), while 'Last Post' keeps the busiest threads at the top of the screen as it shows them in the order of most recent message.
userOAL Moderator
Posted: 31 March 2006 1:28 PM

Only Human

Q: What are the little stars beneath people's names on their posts?
A: When a user has posted on the forums a certain number of times, they are awarded a star - 25 posts means the user gets a green star, 100 posts receives a purple star, 500 a blue star, 1000 a red star, 2000 a silver star and 5000+ a gold star.
It's an easy way of telling who's been around for a while - generally a user with a high post count is quite experienced and a good person to ask advice from!
(Please note that the post counts will only take into account messages contributed since the 22nd of March 2006.)
userOAL Moderator
Posted: 22 August 2006 11:31 AM
Subject: Uploading an image

Only Human

Q: How do I get a picture under my name when I post?
A: You can upload a small picture (normally called an avatar) via your Control Panel - scroll down to the 'Images' section (the last area on the page), and click the 'Browse' button in the 'Upload profile image' box. This will open up a 'file browser' window. Locate the image you wish to use as an avatar, click on it, and press the 'Open' button. The file browser window will close. Then just click the 'OK' button in the 'Upload profile image' box; your image will be saved to our servers, and your picture will appear next to your posts!

There are a couple of limitations: The image must not be larger than 50kb in filesize (this is to keep the loading speed of the pages as fast as possible), and the image will be resized to 100 pixels wide when it's displayed (a pixel is a unit of measurement - basically, one 'dot' on your computer screen). This means that if the image you upload is significantly wider or narrower than this, some distortion may occur - obviously, the best solution is to resize the image before you upload it. This can be done using several computer programs (such as Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Macromedia Fireworks, Paint Shop Pro, etc.). For more information of free image editing software, please click here (please note - Warners Group Publications Plc cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites).
userOAL Moderator
Posted: 8 January 2007 2:32 PM
Subject: User titles

Only Human

Q: What are the titles listed below someone's name, and what criteria are needed to meet each title?
A: Forum users are 'awarded' different titles depending on:
a) their number of posts
b) the time passed since they joined.

We have recently updated these, so rather than list them here, we're going to let you find them all.

Some users (members of the administrative/support staff) have titles that aren't found on the list; these are assigned only to forum staff.
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Frozen
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator