"ICE".....In Case of Emergency Mobile Phone numbers

BGD

"ICE"............"IN CASE OF EMERGENCY"

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I think it bears repeating here in case some people are still not aware of it:

The Emergency Services all across Europe (and possibly beyond too) are asking everyone with a mobile phone to enter one or more numbers into their mobile phone memory, against the name "ICE".

The idea is that almost everyone carries their mobile nowadays, and if they are involved in an accident/taken ill and are unconscious, the Emergency Services will check their phone and ring their "ICE" number(s) if possible, to alert next of kin etc.

You can put several emergency notification relatives/friends numbers into your mobile phone memory, naming them "ICE1", "ICE2" etc.

PLEASE DO THIS ON YOUR MOBILE PHONE.

DO IT NOW.

NOT IN THREE DAYS TIME, BUT RIGHT NOW, WHILST YOU REMEMBER.

Please also spread the word amongst your family and friends..........it may not help you/them in the event of an accident, but it's a lot better than not doing it.

Also remember, if in future you come across a person who obviously needs help and is unconscious, as well as giving any immediate first aid, check if they are carrying a mobile phone and if so, check to see if you can bring up their "ICE" number(s) on it.......

With regard to ringing an "ICE" number if you come across a casulty, do think before doing so.

As a Fire Officer some years ago, I attended a road accident late at night, and the driver was trapped in the wreckage and badly injured. While we were working to extricate the man, a local householder apparently recognised the driver and unbeknown to me, rang his wife.

I was walking back to the fire appliance to send an informative message and came across a woman collapsed in the pouring rain. I didn't know whether she had been involved in the accident, where she came from or who she was. The person who rang her didn't even come forward to help !

The ambulance crew were trying to keep the driver alive. My crew was working to cut the driver free and the 15 or so bystanders were ignoring my pleas for assistance with a blanket. The two police officers who attended the incident also declined to "get involved". Fortunately, a second fire crew turned up and looked after the poor woman.

Of course, after receiving the telephone call she drove straight to the accident, turn one look at the scene before her and promptly fainted.

Her husband was pronounced dead at the scene and his wife was eventually taken to hospital.

The dreadful circumstances of his death that his wife witnessed will stay with her forever.

The ICE numbers are a really good idea and I shall put them on my

phone, but you've got to think it through before making a call.

Bob - yes of course, anyone should think, and use their judgement in any such situation with regard to all and any actions that they take to try to help.

But at least if the persons ICE numbers are available in their mobile phone, there's more chance that next-of-kin can be immediately informed if approprate in the circumstances.

K&D - 2008-06-02 5:08 PM

good idea yes but. wouldnt take inspector morse to think of ringing home or mum or any recent contacts might set him on his trail

So long as you were in.............Britain.

But surprisingly, in Spain, France, Italy, Belgium, Germany, Holand, Croatia, Poland, etc etc etc etc, the Emergency Services really ain't looking for the words "Home", or "Aunty Maud".

You see they're savages; they don't speaka dee eenglish.

Which is reason why they all got together and agreed they'd all try to publicise the "ICE" system right across Europe.

They're trying to standardise so that wherever you are right across Europe they'll look on your mobile phone for "ICE".

(Now, how or what they can say to your next of Kin if they don't speak English and your next of kin doesn't speak German/French/Spanish etc is a different issue of course!!)

K&D - 2008-06-02 5:08 PM

good idea yes but. wouldnt take inspector morse to think of ringing home or mum or any recent contacts might set him on his trail

I assume the idea is to put the name of the 'best' person to contact and get straight to him/her.

Time may be very important and the emergency services don't want to waste any.

Archived