A considerate man

GJH

Saw this on a non-motorhome forum and thought it might be appreciated

It is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are oversensitive, and there's nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

My name is Jim. Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife, Peggy. When I retired a few years ago, it became necessary for Peggy to get a full-time job along with her part-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age. I usually get home from the golf club about the same time she gets home from work.

Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she gets dinner on the table. I generally have lunch in the Men's Grill at the club so eating out is not reasonable. I'm ready for some home-cooked grub when I hit that door. She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner. I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won't clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed.

Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think. For example she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour. But, boys, we take 'em for better or worse, so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days. That way she won't have to rush so much. I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points.

When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half finished mowing the yard. I try not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support Peggy. I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each other.

Signed,

Jim

EDITOR'S NOTE:

Jim died suddenly on Feb 27 of a perforated rectum. The police report says he was found with a Calloway extra long 50-inch Big Bertha Driver II golf club jammed up his rear end, with barely 5 inches of grip showing and a sledge hammer laying nearby. His wife Peggy was arrested and charged with murder. The all-woman jury took only 15 minutes to find her Not Guilty, accepting her defense that Jim somehow, without looking, accidentally sat down on his golf club.

Graham

Very good, BUT it really does not apply to me. I do all what Jimn does, but I think I'm alright as my hobby - as you know - is fly fishing, so sitting down on a golf club will never happen, and definitely there are no sledghammers allowed in our household!!!(lol)(lol)

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-09-28 12:34 PM

Graham

Very good, BUT it really does not apply to me. I do all what Jimn does, but I think I'm alright as my hobby - as you know - is fly fishing, so sitting down on a golf club will never happen, and definitely there are no sledghammers allowed in our household!!!(lol)(lol)

Thai

Ah, the thing is, Thai, that you and I are not only considerate but supremely so as well - so we wouldn't be in danger from golf clubs anyway. Perhaps as well that I don't own a set though :D

Ah, the thing is, Thai, that you and I are not only considerate but supremely so as well - so we wouldn't be in danger from golf clubs anyway. Perhaps as well that I don't own a set though icon_mrgreen.gif 

Graham

Yes very considerate I am, I go down to the pub so that I'm not in the way at home, and it saves her uttering the words, "Please lift your feet" when she's hoovering!!:D:D

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-09-28 2:58 PM

Graham

Yes very considerate I am, I go down to the pub so that I'm not in the way at home, and it saves her uttering the words, "Please lift your feet" when she's hoovering!!:D:D

Thai

I hope you are just as considerate when she is ironing as well :D Wouldn't want her to make a mess of the creases in your trousers through worrying whether you are ready for another can from the fridge would you (lol) Graham

Graham

You're getting to know some of my Thai ways!!

We (Thai's) are always considerate, that's why when I come back from the pub I never, ever, ever ask how she has managed to iron my shirts as well as all the other things. I just accept it as one of those "Multi-tasking" things that they claim to be able to do.(lol)(lol)

Thai

Are they Thai ways? Wonder where I got them from then - better check my family history again icon_lol.gif

Graham

Your business will be able to tell you!! Don't forget that the original story of the King & I was based upon a certain King in Thailand who had many children, so there is a small chance.

I've got to be careful about saying too much as I go back home every now and again & in Thailand there is still "Laise Majeste"

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-09-28 3:20 PM

Graham

Your business will be able to tell you!! Don't forget that the original story of the King & I was based upon a certain King in Thailand who had many children, so there is a small chance.

Quite correct - nearest I've got so far though is Worcestershire so I think it's a very small chance (lol) I did once pick up a jar of Thai curry sauce in Asda though - dunno why because I'm not keen on spicy foods (lol)
Thai Bry - 2007-09-28 3:20 PM

I've got to be careful about saying too much as I go back home every now and again & in Thailand there is still "Laise Majeste"

Thai

It's OK. We'll vouch for you - tell 'em you've been affected by reading the postings here (lol) Graham

Hey boys, you may not have golf clubs lying around the place but you do have ... awning pegs, wind breaks with nice long poles, awning poles, wheel braces, and of course my particular favourite, a nice hot BBQ, just right for roasting chestnuts when you accidentally sit on it ...... :D

Thai Bry - 2007-09-28 3:11 PMI just accept it as one of those "Multi-tasking" things that they claim to be able to do.(lol)(lol)

Thai

Mel B - 2007-09-28 5:47 PMHey boys, you may not have golf clubs lying around the place but you do have ... awning pegs, wind breaks with nice long poles, awning poles, wheel braces, and of course my particular favourite, a nice hot BBQ, just right for roasting chestnuts when you accidentally sit on it ...... :D
Well, Thai was obviously right about the multi-tasking.To be able to erect awnings and windbreaks whilst changing a wheel and barbecuing chestnuts is quite a combination.If I might ask one small favour though, Mel. Could you please make sure you have some decent ale to serve with the chestnuts - and that it's the right temperature 8-) >:-) :D 8-) Graham

But Mel, just think how easier your day could be if you fitted in a small household chore instead of spending time thinking up pithy replies when a chap is taking time to offer help to the ladies.

Remember Mel, you fairer sex types were put on earth to smile and look pretty. All that strain thinking will only add to any wrinkles and ageing.

Now I know times have changed and "the girls" now go out to work and the like, but don't rush things after all remember the best advice I have ever heard.

"Woman, know your place"

Thanks for your concern Tomo, I know my place ... always right. (lol)

By the way my hubby bought a nice new gadget to help at home, a battery operated tin opener. Now, for anyone who was at York show they'll have seen them, they were £19.99 there ... now for those of you who think, how overly generous is my hubby ... think again ... it cost him £2.99 from the local petrol station on special offer and he bought it for himself! 8-) But at least he knows his place ... in the kitchen ... :D

Mel B - 2007-09-28 10:09 PM

But at least he knows his place ... in the kitchen ... :D

Poor bloke - does he have to spend all his time there making sure you don't make a mistake. What a tragedy. At least he's near the fridge for his beer (lol)

I'm off for a couple of days now so you can't get me. Nah nah nah nah nah (lol)

Graham

I was going to put this one in the jokes section but now I think it would be more appropriate here.

Why Brides Wear White

A VERY BRAVE MAN WROTE THIS!!!!!!

Son asked his mother the following question:

"Mum, why are wedding dresses white?"

The mother looks at her son and replies,

"Son, this shows your friends and relatives that your bride is pure."

The son thanks his Mum and goes off to double-check this with his father.

"Dad why are wedding dresses white?"

The father looks at his son in surprise and says,

"Son, all household appliances come in white."

Mel B - 2007-09-28 10:09 PM Thanks for your concern Tomo, I know my place ... always right. (lol) By the way my hubby bought a nice new gadget to help at home, a battery operated tin opener. Now, for anyone who was at York show they'll have seen them, they were £19.99 there ... now for those of you who think, how overly generous is my hubby ... think again ... it cost him £2.99 from the local petrol station on special offer and he bought it for himself! 8-) But at least he knows his place ... in the kitchen ... :D

Mel

At least he showed the manly emotion of thinking about you when he bought this time saving tin opener gadget.!!!

As we Thai's are always concerned about the ones we care for. That's why I always ensure that my good lady - "Mrs Thai" - always stays a half pace behind me - so that I can counter / deflect any danger that may come our way.

Now tell me that's not being considerate!!!!(lol)(lol)

Thai

I did once pick up a jar of Thai curry sauce in Asda though - dunno why because I'm not keen on spicy foods icon_lol.gif

Graham

Already this "Thai" attitude is becoming infectuous!!

I'm accused of picking things up for no apparent reason. Does this mean I'm becoming Englishfied???

Thai

Mel B - 2007-09-28 5:47 PM Hey boys, you may not have golf clubs lying around the place but you do have ... awning pegs, wind breaks with nice long poles, awning poles, wheel braces, and of course my particular favourite, a nice hot BBQ, just right for roasting chestnuts when you accidentally sit on it ...... :D

WOHHH there lady!!

A long pole?? I've got one as a driver and the only reason he's long is because he's a long way from home. We keep sending him on the Irish haulage runs so he's even further away from home.!!:D

Wheel braces!! why are your wheels not in a straight line, if I was you I'd have these checked out immediately!!

Awing pegs & wind breaks - don't need these either as she's always out walking the dogs, whilst I prepare some lovely Thai food in the warmth of our M/home.

Chestnuts?? we're away during this season in Thailand so "Mrs Thai" does not even know about roasted chestnuts even though she's originally from Scotland, where tradition states that she is to look after the Hunter/Gatherer!!;-)

SAFE!!!!

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-09-29 7:30 AM

I did once pick up a jar of Thai curry sauce in Asda though - dunno why because I'm not keen on spicy foods icon_lol.gif

Graham

Already this "Thai" attitude is becoming infectuous!!

I'm accused of picking things up for no apparent reason. Does this mean I'm becoming Englishfied???

Just got back.I think it's a gender rather than a nationality thing, Thai.We men are so considerate that we pick things up when other people drop them - and sometimes pick things up before they are dropped, just on the off chance.The more I think about it, the considerate nature of we men is a quality second only to our natural modesty (lol) (lol) (lol) Graham

Archived