A-level algorithm leaked

Guest rael

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
rael - 2020-08-17 6:02 PM

{M@k3_5UR3_tH3_pO5h_k1d5_get-1st_ch01ce_of-un15}

Which just goes to show those clever clogs at Ofqual with DEGREES are either educational snobs or incompetent >:-) ..........

I suppose this Government isn't bothered about kids in disadvantaged state schools because they aren't likely to vote Tory :-S

and they will debase the exam standards to avoid the political embarrassment of being overwhelmed with appeals

pelmetman - 2020-08-18 8:02 AM

Which just goes to show those clever clogs at Ofqual with DEGREES are either educational snobs or incompetent >:-) ..........

Anyone who believes that computer programmes can solve everything ,shouldn't be allowed anywhere near advising the government - especially the current one.

It is always necessary for someone with a brain, and a bit of common sense, to get involved.

:-(

I have a feeling I'll regret asking, but how did you work that out *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-18 11:15 AM

I have a feeling I'll regret asking, but how did you work that out *-)

The algorithm is biased against schools with a history of poor performance ;-) .........

So are they assuming the kids are thick?......Or their teachers are rubbish? >:-) ........

As I understand it the wholesale adoption of the teachers’ assessment would have incurred a 17% grade inflation (please correct me if I am wrong). I have yet to see someone come up with a better alternative to the algorithm. A crude approach perhaps but the only one that we could afford? I continue to be astonished at the number of A level pupils receiving A or A* grades. Seems to me we are in a fantasy world where these students expect us to accept that they are special. Back in the day when I was in 6th form an A grade was reserved for the exceptionally bright and/or the hard-core swots. Seems that they are handed out like sweets now. The kids are not to blame and I don’t underestimate their distress but it is time to get real. There is a crème de la crème of which I was never a member but to seduce so many young people into thinking that they are part of that consort is a lie.

Violet1956 - 2020-08-18 7:40 PM

As I understand it the wholesale adoption of the teachers’ assessment would have incurred a 17% grade inflation (please correct me if I am wrong). I have yet to see someone come up with a better alternative to the algorithm. A crude approach perhaps but the only one that we could afford? I continue to be astonished at the number of A level pupils receiving A or A* grades.....

There's a lot more to it than that Veronica but the result of handing a top job to a former fireplace salesman. Joker Johnson has surrounded himself with a bunch of clowns creating chaos on a daily basis with nobody taking responsibility for their actions, least of all Johnson, and constantly blame shifting.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/education/2020/08/level-fiasco-shows-why-boris-johnson-profoundly-unfit-be-prime-minister

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/18/btec-results-now-engulfed-in-exam-results-algorithm-fiasco

Just in case some of you didn't notice my OP was a joke.

Unless you've been in a school recently, you won't really understand the pressure our youngsters are put under these days. I did my schooling and exams in the late 70s and it was easy. I didn't get very good grades but you didn't need them. I could have got into teaching with 5 O'levels in 79! The standards have been raised so high that if you got an A in the seventies you'd probably be struggling to get a pass today. And what's wrong with wanting to go to university? Is it wrong to have aspirations? I'd say the majority of the folk on here are comfortably well off, we all have motorhomes (or why would we be here?) so we must have go incomes. Spare a thought for the generation that will probably never have the opportunity to have a mortgage, have been made redundant because of Corona with no jobs on the horizon, never have a workplace pension, and heaven forbid, will never have a motorhome! lets not all get self-righteous about this, its a s**t time to be young. At least the chance of going to university or starting as an apprentice is something for the youngsters to aim for, is it such a crime?

As I understand it the wholesale adoption of the teachers’ assessment would have incurred a 17% grade inflation (please correct me if I am wrong).

I assume that figure of 17% was calculated by a computer programme ?

Can you assure us that it is accurate ?

:-|

rael - 2020-08-18 8:53 PM

Unless you've been in a school recently, you won't really understand the pressure our youngsters are put under these days. I did my schooling and exams in the late 70s and it was easy. I didn't get very good grades but you didn't need them. I could have got into teaching with 5 O'levels in 79! The standards have been raised so high that if you got an A in the seventies you'd probably be struggling to get a pass today. And what's wrong with wanting to go to university? Is it wrong to have aspirations? I'd say the majority of the folk on here are comfortably well off, we all have motorhomes (or why would we be here?) so we must have go incomes. Spare a thought for the generation that will probably never have the opportunity to have a mortgage, have been made redundant because of Corona with no jobs on the horizon, never have a workplace pension, and heaven forbid, will never have a motorhome! lets not all get self-righteous about this, its a s**t time to be young. At least the chance of going to university or starting as an apprentice is something for the youngsters to aim for, is it such a crime?

"its a s**t time to be young" ... History has had many times when its been a "s**t time to be young" ... Lets not on top of everything go all Noel Coward ... In the early 80s going to university or getting an apprenticeship was unheard of for my group of buddies, that hasn't stopped many of us getting on with it and doing quite well

Birdbrain - 2020-08-19 6:20 AM

"its a s**t time to be young" ... History has had many times when its been a "s**t time to be young" ... Lets not on top of everything go all Noel Coward ... In the early 80s going to university or getting an apprenticeship was unheard of for my group of buddies, that hasn't stopped many of us getting on with it and doing quite well

There are many reasons why things were easier for young people then

Like the affordability of housing - with Thatcher selling our houses off very cheap leading to the housing crisis we have today. Easy money to be made when she was selling our power and water supplies too.

You could even make good money in building society accounts - paying above the rate of inflation with a windfall when they demutualised, leading to the financial crisis.

with £100+ in each I got them all.

Didn't agree with it and voted against it, but since I couldn't stop it and somebody was going to get a free windfall, I figured it might as well be me.

Wheras youngsters saving for a house deposit today have nowhere safe to put their money where it won't be eroded by inflation.

Real jobs still available too - not the gig economy crap that doesn't even cover rents that we have now.

Guest pelmetman

You are ignoring the decades of educational snobbery propaganda from those with the most to gain finacially........The Universities *-) ..............

What is a crime is conning kids AND their parents into 10's of £1000's of debt to feed their empires :-| .......

That said I had something incommon with todays graduates in my mid 20's ;-) ..........I was also £1000's of pounds in debt 8-) .......

But my debt wasn't called a useless degree........It was called a mortgage :D ........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-19 9:41 AM

Like the affordability of housing - with Thatcher selling our houses off very cheap leading to the housing crisis we have today. Easy money to be made when she was selling our power and water supplies too.

You could even make good money in building society accounts - paying above the rate of inflation with a windfall when they demutualised, leading to the financial crisis.

Didn't agree with it and voted against it, but since I couldn't stop it and somebody was going to get a free windfall, I figured it might as well be me.

Wheras youngsters saving for a house deposit today have nowhere safe to put their money where it won't be eroded by inflation.

Real jobs still available too - not the gig economy crap that doesn't even cover rents that we have now.

More LLLLB rubbish *-) ..........

You can buy a house in LLLLB La La Land aka Liverpool for a quid >:-) .............

malc d - 2020-08-18 10:26 PM

As I understand it the wholesale adoption of the teachers’ assessment would have incurred a 17% grade inflation (please correct me if I am wrong).

I can’t find the figure of 17% grade inflation I mentioned. I thought I read that somewhere, perhaps I was wrong. However, I have found a report in The Times yesterday which reads “The proportion of students receiving A* and A grades has increased by 38 per cent on last year, compared with 28 per cent under Ofqual’s computer algorithm”.

As one commentator has said, something had to be done to keep teachers’ flattering assessed grades in check. Seems likely to me that an awful lot of students have benefitted from those generous assessments due to COVID with or without the application of the algorithm. I acknowledge that it is likely that there are a proportion of students that have been marked down that should not have been but I question whether it is a high one. The cohort that were aggrieved by the initial results are most fortunate to have their teacher assessments accepted wholesale. Or perhaps they will fall victim to the assumption that their grades say little or nothing about their true achievements.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2020-08-19 10:26 AM

I can’t find the figure of 17% grade inflation I mentioned. I thought I read that somewhere, perhaps I was wrong. However, I have found a report in The Times yesterday which reads “The proportion of students receiving A* and A grades has increased by 38 per cent on last year, compared with 28 per cent under Ofqual’s computer algorithm”.

As one commentator has said, something had to be done to keep teachers’ flattering assessed grades in check. Seems likely to me that an awful lot of students have benefitted from those generous assessments due to COVID with or without the application of the algorithm. I acknowledge that it is likely that there are a proportion of students that have been marked down that should not have been but I question whether it is a high one. The cohort that were aggrieved by the initial results are most fortunate to have their teacher assessments accepted wholesale. Or perhaps they will fall victim to the assumption that their grades say little or nothing about their true achievements.

The only winners from generation Drama Queen will be the sausage factory universities *-) .........

But the point is that the grades awarded by the teachers, whether ' enhanced ' or not, are based on a knowledge of the students individual abilities.

By comparison, Ofquals computer programme assessment of each individual is based on thin air.

'IT ' ( the computer ) is a machine that knows nothing whatsoever about the ability of any of this years students individually, so how on earth could it be expected to award them any grade at all ?

The Ofqual system simply looks at what happened in each school to all last years students collectively.

Maybe the Police could save money by doing away with mobile speed cameras and randomly handing out speeding fines by post code - based on what happened in that area last year ?

There would, of course have to be an appeals procedure for people who don't drive.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-08-19 10:48 AM

But the point is that the grades awarded by the teachers, whether ' enhanced ' or not, are based on a knowledge of the students individual abilities.

Based on the students abilities or their teachers needs to improve results? ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman

By comparison, Ofquals computer programme assessment of each individual is based on thin air.

Well not quite .........Their schools historical poor performance was also entered into the equation ;-) ........

So all generation Drama Queen have done is boost the rating of rubbish schools *-) ...........

I guess we'll find out next year if/when those schools return to producing below standard results :-| .......

We'll also get a indication of whether there will be a increase in those suffering from Degreets in 10 years time :D .......

'IT ' ( the computer ) is a machine that knows nothing whatsoever about the ability of any of this years students individually, so how on earth could it be expected to award them any grade at all ?

The Ofqual system simply looks at what happened in each school to all last years students collectively.

Maybe the Police could save money by doing away with mobile speed cameras and randomly handing out speeding fines by post code - based on what happened in that area last year ?

There would, of course have to be an appeals procedure for people who don't drive.

;-)

I disagree with your conclusion Malc in that it is premised on an assumption that the teachers’ assessments were based on knowledge of students’ abilities. I would say there are other likely factors including the extent to which the performance of a teacher’s pupils has a bearing on the view taken of that teacher’s performance and the effect of those assessments on a school’s position in the league tables. I also can’t accept that the application of the algorithm is equivalent to issuing speeding fines by post code. You don’t apply for a speeding fine after all.

Violet1956 - 2020-08-19 11:42 AM

;-)

I disagree with your conclusion Malc in that it is premised on an assumption that the teachers’ assessments were based on knowledge of students’ abilities. I would say there are other likely factors including the extent to which the performance of a teacher’s pupils has a bearing on the view taken of that teacher’s performance and the effect of those assessments on a school’s position in the league tables. I also can’t accept that the application of the algorithm is equivalent to issuing speeding fines by post code.

You don’t apply for a speeding fine after all.

........ and students don't apply to have their abilities rated by a machine that knows nothing about them.

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 9:56 AM

You can buy a house in LLLLB La La Land aka Liverpool for a quid >:-) .............

Mad Hatters solved the housing crisis now

The homeless can all move to Wonderland and buy a house for a quid *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-19 12:46 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 9:56 AM

Mad Hatters solved the housing crisis now

The homeless can all move to Wonderland and buy a house for a quid *-)

Lefty run Liverpool is a perfect example of how they would solve a housing crisis >:-) .........

Make the place so revolting no one with any sense would want live there 8-) .........

Archived