A long week

nightrider

It has been a long long week this week, monday is when we go up to Todds to pick up our Compass Calypso, the week has dragged.

We have scoured and valeted the van we are putting in part ex and it is gleaming like a new pin, sorry to see it go but one must do as one must and upgrade when the time comes.

Good luck with the changeover on Monday Malcolm.

I guess a part of the fun, in a way, is the anticipation that builds if you are looking forward to such an event....bit like waiting for Christmas as a kid, when time seems somehow to slow down.

Enjoy your new MH!

Hopesy - 2008-11-29 12:20 PM

Where's the first trip going to be, got anything planned yet?

Hopesy,

Got lots of things planned for after Christmas, will have much more room in this new van, ideal for just me and the wife. For the last 6 or 7 years I have been the manager of two groups based here in the northwest of England but aimed at America and Canada, Americans and Canadians devour anything about Britain, it is also of interest to ex-pats living in the States or Canada who want to know what is going on in the old country.

My primary group is called "Letters from England" and the spin off group is called "Quintessential England" and basically I tour all over the country taking pics of things of interest that they just dont have in America and Canada, I get requests from my members for pictures of various things, here is a couple of examples... A member living in Canada who emigrated many years ago said he would love to see a picture of his old house in Dunbar, not only did I send pics of his old house but also of the school he went to and his old local pub and a couple of his old neighbours, another ex-pat wanted to see the camp where he did his basic army training in Barnard Castle, both of these guys told me they broke down in tears when they saw the pics.

Another member living in Arizona was a German prisoner of war who was imprisoned in a POW camp not far from where I live, he formed an attachment with a local girl, I sent him pics of what remained of the camp, the pub he used to go into and my greatest achievement was to reunite him with the girl he used to know who lives two streets away from where he used to court her.

if I get a request to check something out I check out the nearest Camping and Caravanning Club site and take it from there, so for me my trips out are working holidays.

I am presently working on a series of pics and text called "A year in the life of an English garden" documenting what is going on in my garden, my workshop and various other things, quite exciting really.

On my last trip out in september to Shrewsbury we stayed on the C&CC site at Oswestry, did a brilliant series on the first iron bridge in the world that spans the river Severn, the Americans love anything like that, particularly the "black and white" buildings in Shrewsbury, thatched cottages in Dorset etc. Things are a lot easier now having bought a satnav the other week, dont know how I have managed without one all these years.

Archived