A timely reminder

Victor Meldrew

Whilst carrying out routine maintenance of my mh I found that dihydrogen monoxide was present in some of the components, these included the fridge and the boiler, of particular concern is that I also found Dihydrogen monoxide to be present within the engine.

I’m sure that most of you are aware that Dihydrogen monoxide corrodes the metal parts of the mh not to mention the delaminating of floor and walls but I thought it prudent to raise this issue at this time of the year.

Apparently the government are resisting calls to have this chemical banned on the grounds that the nuclear industry is heavily dependent on Dihydrogen monoxide.

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Despite the known dangers of DHMO, it continues to be used daily by industry, government, and even in private homes across the U.S. and worldwide. Some of the well-known uses of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:

as an industrial solvent and coolant,

in nuclear power plants,

by the U.S. Navy in the propulsion systems of some older vessels,

by elite athletes to improve performance,

in the production of (polystyrene),

in biological and chemical weapons manufacture,

as a spray-on fire suppressant and retardant...

All dihydrogen monoxide pranks share two things in common: (1) they are generally based in fact, and (2) they neglect to mention that “dihydrogen monoxide” is just another name for water.

(Think about it. “Dihydrogen” indicates two hydrogen atoms, or “H2.” “Monoxide” refers to a single oxygen atom, or “O.” Put them together, and you get H2O.)

If you reread the above spoof, you’ll see that the information is generally factual. For instance, dihydrogen monoxide is a real chemical compound, also known as water. Under very extreme conditions, water can cause drowning, hypothermia and other dangers. And water is used in the manufacture of polystyrene. But using water in the manufacturing process does not pose a health risk to consumers. (Now that you’re in on the prank, this should be fairly obvious.)

So, how did the particular myth about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide in polystyrene get started? In March 2004, someone came across a dihydrogen monoxide hoax on the Internet, and without first verifying the information with an authoritative source, incorporated the bit about polystyrene into a proposed city council ordinance. Fortunately, the facts came to light and the proposal was withdrawn.

OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! Where can I get a detector for this chemical from? Does anyone know if this is what is being sprayed into vans in Europe and killing thousands of van owners prior to robbery and severe death, or even sprayed at Dianas' limo in Paris. Well you never know!

The government are keeping this quiet no doubt and now we are at risk from the security services for discussing it in public. Keep an eye out in your rear view mirrors and cameras people!

At least I can be trusted to keep it into perspective, others would just run around screaming and that wouldn't do anyone any good (lol)

I always thought it was really cruel what they do in those Lypton's factories: squeezing all those thousands of poor little lemmings just so people could put their juices into tea.........or maybe they just catch them at the bottom of those high cliffs in big stainless steel vats as they all go splat when they land?

:D

donna miller - 2007-11-27 3:01 PM

Soz ! didn't mean to spoil Victors little joke. :-S

It's just one of those useless bits of info on a scam that you remember, But on a serious note, we wouldn't want anyone getting into a panic after reading that and getting an "expert" in to check their van over.

Oh dear !

Sounds like that anti-dihydrogen protective clothing that I got from Ebay this afternoon was a waste of money.

donna miller - 2007-11-28 8:00 AM

Not in this country Malc, you will find plenty of use for it.

Good point Donna !

I've removed the face mask and breathing apparatus and made it quite comfortable.

(But it might take some time to get used to the sewn in wellies).

Archived