A word to the wise? Phishing Scam

Guest peter

Guest peter

Received this today. I had exactly this type of call last week on my answerphone and they asked me to call back. I thought it was to a premium number, so just deleted it. Just goes to show these warnings are not for nothing. Message as follows.

Happy Friday, folks! By now I hope that most of you are all aware of phishing scams (if not, here is a quick run down from Wikipedia.org). And this week's topic is all about vishing (or voice phishing), which is a scam very similar to phishing tactics, but performed mostly through the telephone or cell phone rather than through Web sites or e-mails. This process of vishing is an electronic fraud tactic where unsuspecting people are called or left a message in one form or another, using an automated process (voice recording) stating that your financial account has been possibly compromised and your verification is needed to ensure it hasn't been compromised. What usually follows the message is a prompt requesting you to enter personal information (credit card information, PIN, Social Security number, etc.). Or if it is left as a message on your answering machine, it leaves a number for you to call back and once you call back, it will prompt you to enter your information. Either way, if you do enter that information (and I hope no one does), before you know it, someone out there has your personal information and is probably laughing all the way to the bank. These scam tactics come in all shapes and sizes; the bottom line is that they're out to get your personal information--if you allow them to! And once you read through the answers that Judie received from our members, you'll get a good sense of what's out there.

I know for a lot of you this whole vishing or even phishing thing sounds trivial, and simple common sense tells us to hang up or ignore it. But unsuspecting people will fall victim to these scams, and unless we as a community raise awareness to our families, friends, and co-workers, scammers will continue to prey on those uninformed folks. So as a community, I urge you all to do a good deed and spread the word about these malicious scams to hopefully stop this crime.

For this week, there will be no voting on the most helpful answer as there are just so many informative answers to go around. We have members providing links to report these tactics, information on how to prevent being a victim or recover from being a victim, all the way to how to stop receiving unsolicited telemarketing calls. There are even folks who were victims of vishing or phishing who have stopped by to share their experience. We are all very grateful and fortunate to have folks like you who care enough to help one another out. So hats off to you, for being kind enough to share. Please read all the answers and get informed. And if you have more advice to add, or experiences to share, do join us in this week's discussion. Take care, and be safe!

• 4 months later...

Further to Peter's warning post above, I received the following e-mail yesterday:

Dear Customer,

Natwest Online Banking announcing the New Security Upgrade. We've upgrade our new SSL servers to serve our Value Customers for better and secure banking services to protect your account against any fraudulent activities.

With the new recent upgrade in our security measure, you are hereby requested to update your online banking account as quickly as possible by clicking the link below

Verify Here

*Important*

However, Failure to do so may result in temporary account suspension. Please understand

that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks for your co-operation. END OF QUOTE

Although, it was obviously 'suspicious' I am sure that on a bad day I could quite easily be not thinking straight and have done something daft.

Thought would just share in case you have elderly parents who go on the computer and who might just answer these mails.

(where IS Peter Bear by the way? Am I losing touch again thinking I'm in the Twilight Zone? 8-) 8-) 8-)

I never ever open anything from banks etc as I do not do internet banking for a start.

Neither will I give any bank details to anyone online unless I am ordering something at the time.

Likewise I am very careful what I open in e.mail form too, you can usually tell just by looking at them if its something you need to open.

Wise words, Mary but some of the emails doing the rounds at the moment are very convincing.

I've had a couple recently purporting to be from ebay and for all the world looked like they were!

Heaven knows what would have happened if I'd clicked on any of the links - there was even a link to ebay's security (probably not) to report the email as a possible scam!

Yes Janine, my friend - who is in no way stupid - uses E-bay a lot and recently made the mistake of falling for that mail ... the problem was that at the time it went out, E-bay were actually sending mails out about account changes too.

Those people, like me, who are computer dumbos really do have something to worry about, I believe.

(Just an addition. How DO these people find out our passwords?)

ROON - 2008-09-08 4:42 PM

Yes Janine, my friend - who is in no way stupid - uses E-bay a lot and recently made the mistake of falling for that mail ... the problem was that at the time it went out, E-bay were actually sending mails out about account changes too.

Those people, like me, who are computer dumbos really do have something to worry about, I believe.

(Just an addition. How DO these people find out our passwords?)

Joy, if there are people out there that can crack their way into government files, a password must be a piece of cake to the really determined. I suppose the answer is to keep updating your password, which I do on my bank accounts (then promptly forget the last update 8-)

handyman - 2008-09-08 12:12 PM

do i really need to paste about 50 odd pishing scams so everyone else (who isnt thick) can waste their time reading what is obviously a scam (for stupid people) ??

That was usefull Handyman. Got any more little Gems like that?

Archived