AOL ISP

empress

Our very helpful neighbours have asked for our help. Like us, their ISP is AOL. However, they have a dial-up service whereas we have broadband. They want to sign up for broadband but don't want to continue with AOL. We've heard that getting out of AOL is very difficult. We are happy with the service we get from them, but would like to help our neighbours to sort out their problem. Has anyone out there changed from AOL to another ISP? If so, what was involved and did you have any difficulties? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Empress

Empress,

Are your friends tied into a contract ? if so they will ahve to carry on.

Aol takes over your whole system and I wouldn't have it if you paid me to.

Its easy to get another ISP Just phone Bt Ntl who ever they fancy.

Good Luck it does drive you round the bend I know.

I am with AOL France and have been for the last 5 years. Last week I sent them a registered letter giving them notice of termination of the service.

I have had no complaints with AOL at all. The service has been excellent. I have had only 1 incident in 5 years and it was New Years Day a couple of years ago and the broadband line went dead, after telephoning AOL I was told that 100,000 emails had been sent from my email address without my knowledge, obviously someone had hijacked this by chance. I was reminded to change my password every 3 months as a precaution, but as most of us know, we get complacent. I understand why people have a problem in uninstalling AOL off their computers as it embeds itself in things that everyday computer users don't want to mess with, the Registry for one.

There is a program I use for cleaning up unwanted items on my hard disk and it is called CCleaner you can download free of charge.

www.ccleaner.com

You decide which files you want to get rid of after using the analyze setting first. I run this program every week because the amount of c**p that your computer keeps is amazing.

I am only changing from AOL because we have now got a ISP for Ex-Pats called Teleconnect which will give unlimited UK calls for an extra 5 euro per month on top of the 29.90 euro for the 2mb broadband. I now pay 32.90 euro just for 512K broadband with AOL. It is more expensive in France to have broadband than in the UK but it is the same whichever provider you use. I will let you know how I get on with the change!!!!!

I switched from AOL broadband to Orange wireless broadband a while back, I had just bought a new laptop and wanted to use this and my old desktop on the same connection.

I rang AOL and they emailed me the MAC (migration access code) the next day. You then decide which company you want to change to and give them the mac code (it has to be used within 2 weeks I think or it is cancelled).

The new provider then sorts out the changeover and bt upgrade the line to brodband. They should then contact you when it is ok to switch to your new supplier (you can still use the old supplier in the meantime) and you can then install their equipment and change. Don't forget to terminate any direct debits/standing charges to AOL after you have changed.

I found the whole process remarkably easy.

I can't comment on getting AOL off the system after switching because my main computer had a terminal failure shortly after the switch and I just use the laptop now which was never exposed to AOL.

pete.

pete.

Hi,

I am not with AOL but from what I have seen most of the modifications that AOL make to computers is to make using the Internet more enjoyable for the novice and the AOL web site is very comprehensive. I believe it also allows you to impose strict controls on what can or cannot be viewed, which in this day an age is probably a good thing.

However that said if you go to the AOL web site and search on the AOL HELP for the words "Remove AOL" it does give some guidance albeit you may have to read between the lines ? as it suggests how to reinstall faulty elements but in doing this you will have to remove the complete thing first, if you follow my thinking just remove it and don't reinstall. Also its worth searching on Google for "AOL removal" it comes up with a number of links where suggestions are made, again it will depend upon your level of computer knowledge as to whether you can put these to use.

We are with Talktalk where the broadband if free and i have had no problems and it has been working fine for the last 4 months. The only thing i have really noticed is the monthly bill which has been unbelievable and i only wish i had change to them earlier. The reason i mention this is that I believe TalkTalk own AOL so i certainly wouldn't be paying for a BB connection through AOL when its free through TalkTalk

Hope this helps

Well, here is the update. I received my new Wireless modem yesterday and today got the activation letter from the new ISP.

Uninstalled the old AOL modem and followed the new instructions to the letter. New modem didn't work. Uninstalled everything to do with AOL and "Bob's your Uncle" so to speak. Everything is working fine and I have now got my old Laptop with a new wireless PCMCIA card in and have linked it up to the desktop computer wireless modem.

Am very pleased that there have not really been any problems with changing from AOL as I was prepared for some problems at least.

• 4 weeks later...
My son has just renegotiated his terms with AOL and they have given him a wireless router which I can use on my laptop at home, when the grandchildren are on the PC, but can I use it as dial up when we are away from home. Can I use an aol wireless router on say NTL BT Tiscali or is it confined to use by aol.

BensGrandad - 2007-03-03 11:48 AM

My son has just renegotiated his terms with AOL and they have given him a wireless router which I can use on my laptop at home, when the grandchildren are on the PC, but can I use it as dial up when we are away from home. Can I use an aol wireless router on say NTL BT Tiscali or is it confined to use by aol.

Bensgrandad

The router you got from AOL is probably a Netgear and is ok for Broadband regardless of the ISP.

It will not work on Dialup for this you will need a seperate modem.

Hope this helps

Pete

I have done that and where I was paying £34.48 for Aol and £11.99 for Talk3 phone per month,. From April 7th I will be paying £26.99 per month to include 8MB of Broadband and all landline calls within the UK.

A saving of £20 per month, which to somebody like myself who is retired, is quite a saving.

Hi,

That seems a little high, the price should be £19.99 if you are in the talktalk area, as i assume you are taking the free 8mb broadband with your talk3 service

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.TESTHUB

Hope that helps

Brian

BensGrandad - 2007-03-06 9:33 PM

I have done that and where I was paying £34.48 for Aol and £11.99 for Talk3 phone per month,. From April 7th I will be paying £26.99 per month to include 8MB of Broadband and all landline calls within the UK.

A saving of £20 per month, which to somebody like myself who is retired, is quite a saving.

Hi,

Just another note to save you money, remember that nearly all of the phone companies that offer inclusive calls type packages as with Talktalk these inclusive calls do not normally include 0870 - 0845 etc. numbers or mobiles so it really is important if you want to keep saving money to read the other threads on Chatterbox as they are important

This is a link to it, and remember use www.saynoto0870.com to find alternatives

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6658&posts=3

Archived