Aerial alignment for Freeview.

Arcadian

I was given a present of a set-top box this summer for use in our motorhome. Little did I know how difficult it is to align our Status S530 aerial with 0.92m mast for Freeview. Fortunately it is a Technomatic combo box and I can use a Multimo satellite dish for all the main channels except 4 and 5. Alignment of the Multimo dish is child's play compared with aligning the Status for Freeview. Only twice have I succeeded in receiving Freeview and that was after alignment using analogue reception first!

After a lot of internet searching and practical experience while touring (including trying to use the set-top box signal strength meter), I have these conclusions.

1. On most of the camping sites I visit (among hills, mountains or woodland in Scotland) Freeview is not an option. It's probably not an option with a high-gain 18-element dipole aerial either!

2. Web sites giving guidance on TV reception while touring are geared to Sky and not to Freeview or free-to-air (satellite). A notable exception is to be found here: http://tinyurl.com/ytdpsy [url={http://tinyurl.com/ytdpsy}][/url]

3. When analogue TV is switched off, Freeview signals will be increased making for better reception. However, even then aerial alignment will be difficult in many areas. In the run up to the analogue TV shut-down, it is time that the caravanning clubs, magazines and forums produced some practical documentation on this topic. Come on Out&AboutLive, give a lead and provide some permanent information available from a link on the Home Page!

Martin

Hi Arcadian, and welcome to the madhouse!

I'm afraid I can't help with your specific query - but you might find that you get more advice and assistance with it if you were to post it in the "Motorhome Matters" section of the site.

Cheers,

Bruce.

BGD - 2007-10-04 12:26 PM

Hi Arcadian, and welcome to the madhouse!

I'm afraid I can't help with your specific query - but you might find that you get more advice and assistance with it if you were to post it in the "Motorhome Matters" section of the site.

Thanks for the tip, Bruce

Guest starspirit

We have a dual band TV (that's dual not duel - that happens elsewhere on here!)

I find that to switch the TV on BBC 1, then go to the menu page showing signal strength and then turn aerial to show best strength and quality works OK.

Not all digital channels seem to be from the same transmitter and often Ch 4 and/or Ch5 and some of the lesser known Chs can be found from a different direction to all the others

If no signal revert to analogue.

If still no signal find alternative entertainment.

Archived