Air passenger duty ‘illegal’

Guest Syd

Package holiday firms, represented by the Federation of Tour Operators, have launched a judicial review, claiming that the Air Passenger Duty was illegal under European law.

If successful, the government could be forced to pay refunds to millions of passengers who have already had to pay the levy, reports the Evening Standard.

The legal battle follows the government’s decision to double the tax to £10 for economy and short-haul flights, £40 for economy long-haul and £80 for longer business and first-class trips, on the grounds that air travel emissions are fuelling climate change.

Not wishing to start another debate - I am a firm believer in the urgency to address climate change, but I attended a lecture from a University of Essex professor of environment and society, on The Global Village. Question-time eventually turned to the relative contributions to climate change by things like transport, air traffic and cattle derived methane. His comments were words to the effect of... "Transport outways most contributors considerably. The methane from cows is negligable when compared to the transport required to ship the beef. Eat local beef. And Air traffic contributes 1% compared to 20+% for transport. Keep flying, we have much bigger contributors to worry about."

Kinda' makes a mockery of the levy!

I just don't know what to believe !! There was an interesting article in the Sunday Telegraph on 5th Nov 2006. It was entitled Climate chaos? don't believe it.

The article was written by Chistopher Monckton and maintains that global warming is a natural cycle.

Have a look on the web site. It's a thought provoking article.

Do you think Gorden Brown will be able to form sort of stealth tax on COWS 8-) Perhaps on their cow sheds or feed, then again he could just tax the Sunday joint. I know he is the P.M now but old habits are hard to get rid of. :D :D

After an idiots study of enviromental changes carried out by this idiot I came to the conclusion that this matter has been seen by the government as a very good excuse for increasing our taxes and diverting our attention away from their own sleeze/corruption and utter incompetence.

In the business world it has been seized on as a pretty BIG money spinner with of course us footing the bill and making even more fat cats even more bloated.

In local government it has been seized on as a way for immature, incompetent department managers to build ever bigger empires for themselves to rule, thereby making themselves appear more important than they really are because they are now employing three/four times the staff than before, all of whom are chasing us to levey on the spot fines on us for not playing their rediculas games in the manner that they think is important

In short just in case you are under any misunderstanding I think that lot means that I am not impressed by their arguments

For those who want to see the real issues of climate change and how the problem has been hi-jacked by those on a mission with there own very negative agenda have a look at the two following links.

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/religion.htm

This is an excellent article (tho i do not agree with his views on wind farms) by Prof Paul Brignell. If you want to know who he is just google his name - his CV is impressive.

Secondly, have a read of:-

http://climatesci.colorado.edu/2007/06/15/on-the-fundamental-defect-in-the-ipcc%e2%80%99s-approach-to-global-warming-research-by-syun-ichi-akasofu/

Another excellent article this time by Syun-Ichi Akasofu, whose details can be found on

http://www.iarc.uaf.edu/people/indiv/iarc_all_staff.php?photo=sakasofu

I believe we are right to distrust those that advocate Global Warming = Catastrophe.

The above two articles underlines the lie that there is a "Consensus" within scientists. There isn't.

It's just the old old story that bad news sells better than good.

Archived