Airbus CEO fires a warning shot over "Brexit madness"

Bulletguy

Airbus has branded the UK government’s handling of Brexit a “disgrace” and warned the aerospace firm could pull out of the UK if the country crashes out of the EU without a deal.

CEO Tom Enders said, “if there was a no-deal Brexit, Airbus would have to make “potentially very harmful decisions for the UK”. Please don’t listen to the Brexiteers’ madness, which asserts that because we have huge plants here we will not move and we will always be here. They are wrong.”

The European aerospace group is one of the biggest manufacturers in the UK, where it employs more than 14,000 people. A further 110,000 supply-chain jobs depend on its operations, which have an annual turnover of £6bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/24/airbus-brands-uk-government-handling-of-brexit-a-disgrace

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-24 5:21 PM

Airbus has branded the UK government’s handling of Brexit a “disgrace” and warned the aerospace firm could pull out of the UK if the country crashes out of the EU without a deal.

CEO Tom Enders said, “if there was a no-deal Brexit, Airbus would have to make “potentially very harmful decisions for the UK”. Please don’t listen to the Brexiteers’ madness, which asserts that because we have huge plants here we will not move and we will always be here. They are wrong.”

The European aerospace group is one of the biggest manufacturers in the UK, where it employs more than 14,000 people. A further 110,000 supply-chain jobs depend on its operations, which have an annual turnover of £6bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/24/airbus-brands-uk-government-handling-of-brexit-a-disgrace

Ooooh er....... one of the 1.9 million UK businesses has gone nuclear with their anti brexit bitching :D ......

I guess once we have absolute control of 350 million a week ;-) ........

Perhaps we could offer them a bung to stay here? >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-01-24 5:27 PM

Ooooh er....... one of the 1.9 million UK businesses has gone nuclear with their anti brexit bitching :D ......

You're being extremely flippant and dismissive with putting peoples livelihoods at risk.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-24 5:40 PM

You're being extremely flippant and dismissive with putting peoples livelihoods at risk.

......and your being a typical spineless Remoaner *-) .........

When we joined the EEC we had our own aircraft, car, truck, bus, coal, steel and a host of other maufacturing industries since when they have all been allowed to die so maybe when we are an independent nation once more they might in time return but one thing is for sure - they sure as heck will not as long as we are in the EEC.

Not blaming the EU for our own home grown inept management, misgovernment and union self destrutive abuse but the EU sure did not help preserve any jobs in the UK.

If anything is sheer madness it has to be building aircraft wings in Wales and shipping them to France to add to the main aircraft - now I wonder who thought that little gem up - probably not the same guy who is now looking to get out of it?

Guest pelmetman

My mistake I said UK business........When in fact Airbus is a EU business ;-) ..........

Tracker - 2019-01-24 6:23 PM

When we joined the EEC we had our own aircraft, car, truck, bus, coal, steel and a host of other maufacturing industries since when they have all been allowed to die so maybe when we are an independent nation once more they might in time return but one thing is for sure - they sure as heck will not as long as we are in the EEC.

Government sold it all off. And to give an example of that using Airbus i'll quote the company i worked for, BAE Systems, for 30 years as they once held a major share holding in Airbus. However, prior to BAE, i worked for Royal Ordnance of which there were a number of factories. Government sold the entire lot to British Aerospace (that later became 'rebranded' as BAE Systems) in 1987 and they immediately closed down two factories and sold the land at a massive profit, more than BAe had paid for the entire lot. Effectively UK government gave away all RO factories.

I can't speak for Airbus but as far as the factory i worked is concerned, without EU countries it would cease to function as that's where the majority of contracts were, primarily Netherlands, France and Belgium. The only non-EU country we dealt with was Saudi Arabia.

If anything is sheer madness it has to be building aircraft wings in Wales and shipping them to France to add to the main aircraft - now I wonder who thought that little gem up - probably not the same guy who is now looking to get out of it?

The Filton Airbus factory employs over 4,500 and Broughton, over 6,500. So a minimum 11,000 employees many of whom will have families, some who will also be employees. Add to that the many businesses in the supply chain along with countless local businesses all being kept in employment due to the existence of Airbus.

Why would anyone in their right minds seek to sacrifice all that.......and for what exactly? Please don't tell me because you want Brexit.

Tory MP and Business minister, Richard Harrington has dared the prime minister to sack him after he praised Airbus for branding the government’s handling of Brexit a “disgrace”.

Speaking at a German Industry UK gathering in London, Harrington said: “I was delighted to read Airbus’s comments this morning because it is telling it like it is,” adding that a no-deal Brexit would be “a total disaster for the economy”.

Harrington had previously warned that he would be willing to resign rather than be part of a government that pursued a policy of leaving the EU without a deal.

But his exasperation appears to have increased after Theresa May’s keenly awaited statement on Monday contained few fresh proposals for averting a no-deal Brexit.

“This is a disaster for business and business needs to know where it is and that doesn’t mean, ‘oh great, two weeks before we are leaving, now we can rule out crashing out’,” he said.

https://tinyurl.com/ybyf3rtb

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-24 7:59 PM

Government sold it all off. And to give an example of that using Airbus i'll quote the company i worked for, BAE Systems, for 30 years as they once held a major share holding in Airbus. However, prior to BAE, i worked for Royal Ordnance of which there were a number of factories. Government sold the entire lot to British Aerospace (that later became 'rebranded' as BAE Systems) in 1987 and they immediately closed down two factories and sold the land at a massive profit, more than BAe had paid for the entire lot. Effectively UK government gave away all RO factories.

I can't speak for Airbus but as far as the factory i worked is concerned, without EU countries it would cease to function as that's where the majority of contracts were, primarily Netherlands, France and Belgium. The only non-EU country we dealt with was Saudi Arabia.

The Filton Airbus factory employs over 4,500 and Broughton, over 6,500. So a minimum 11,000 employees many of whom will have families, some who will also be employees. Add to that the many businesses in the supply chain along with countless local businesses all being kept in employment due to the existence of Airbus.

Why would anyone in their right minds seek to sacrifice all that.......and for what exactly? Please don't tell me because you want Brexit.

So you would give in to the threats foreign owned companies? *-) .............

You Remoaner surrender monkeys have the breaking strain of a KitKat >:-) ..........

This could have been either of the Beano boys on the phone but it was Steve from Gloucester calling about Airbus.

Brexit-supporting Steve in Gloucester called James O'Brien to dismiss their claim - and it didn't go well, as Steve ended up arguing that Brexit would make the UK worse for business.

He said: "I can't see Airbus, who have invested billions into this country, just going in on a Monday morning after we've left Europe and say 'Right, we're leaving'. It isn't going to happen."

When James asked why the CEO of Airbus would be claiming that if it's not true, Steve responded: "Because they don't want to Brexit. They want to scare people into not going through with it."

James asked why so many companies were against Brexit and Steve said: "Because it is probably commercially better for them. It is better with a free-trade agreement."

It was then that James had the killer question.

"So why are you in favour of making it worse for British businesses then?"

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-caller-airbus-wont-leave-uk-brexit/

Bulletguy - 2019-01-24 10:23 PM

This could have been either of the Beano boys on the phone but it was Steve from Gloucester calling about Airbus.

Brexit-supporting Steve in Gloucester called James O'Brien to dismiss their claim - and it didn't go well, as Steve ended up arguing that Brexit would make the UK worse for business.

He said: "I can't see Airbus, who have invested billions into this country, just going in on a Monday morning after we've left Europe and say 'Right, we're leaving'. It isn't going to happen."

When James asked why the CEO of Airbus would be claiming that if it's not true, Steve responded: "Because they don't want to Brexit. They want to scare people into not going through with it."

James asked why so many companies were against Brexit and Steve said: "Because it is probably commercially better for them. It is better with a free-trade agreement."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-caller-airbus-wont-leave-uk-brexit/

Why do these people line themselves up like lemmings to be destroyed by JOB? (lol)

Ive never heard anyone get the better of him, not even the major Brexit pollys.

Guest pelmetman

Seeing as the consensus is the EU will suffer as much or more than us ;-) ..........

The correct answer is "Does the EU want to damage themselves by damaging us for having the temerity to leave"? >:-) ...........

Fortunately 52% of the UK still has a backbone! B-) ........

So we will find out in 64 days unless you UK Remoaner backstabbers get your way *-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-01-24 10:52 PM

Seeing as the consensus is the EU will suffer as much or more than us ;-) ..........

The correct answer is "Does the EU want to damage themselves by damaging us for having the temerity to leave"? >:-) ...........

So we will find out in 64 days unless you UK Remoaner backstabbers get your way *-) .........

is it? How have you come to that conclusion? 27 countries that are not leaving the EU will suffer as much if not more than us. How so?

I bet your gonna say "they need us more than we need them" again arent you? That was always a good one in 2016 all those years ago.

pelmetman - 2019-01-24 10:19 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-01-24 7:59 PM

So you would give in to the threats foreign owned companies? *-) .............

You Remoaner surrender monkeys have the breaking strain of a KitKat >:-) ..........

They've given very clear warnings both before and post referendum so it's hardly new and don't think they won't act. You know Dave your childish name calling does your "cause", or whatever you call it, absolutely no good at all and actually makes you come over as a very desperate little fellow. These are very serious issues and the playground 'kick around' and partying finished long ago. It's about time you began taking these matters a lot more seriously than you do. At this moment there are over 120,000 jobs at risk.....and that's just with Airbus and their supply chain, yet all you come up with is calling people 'spineless Remoaner surrender monkeys'. Very silly, very childish.

These are peoples livelihoods you've put at risk all over this stupid Brexit at any cost which having already caused untold damage, is continuing to wreak havoc and chaos. I also find it more than a tad ironic you mention disparagingly about "giving in to foreign companies", yet earlier this week applauded Dyson for moving his British business to Singapore. But that's "ok" i suppose simply because he's *supposedly* a Brexiteer? Perhaps you forgot he'd threatened eight years ago he'd leave UK if we didn't join the euro?

It's a pity you won't listen to reasoned logic just as O'Brien told that caller who'd dug himself into a right hole. You're throwing peoples lives and jobs down the pan through your own selfishness and i think the only thing which would drive the message home to you is if your own family members were at risk of losing their jobs but you continue to remain in a state of denial in your parallel universe. Remember, at companies the size of Airbus it's not unusual to find entire families employed there.....husband, wife and children, many with mortgages.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-24 11:17 PM

is it? How have you come to that conclusion? 27 countries that are not leaving the EU will suffer as much if not more than us. How so?

I bet your gonna say "they need us more than we need them" again arent you? That was always a good one in 2016 all those years ago.

He hasn't listened to that clip just as he refuses to listen to any news clips. It's too much for him to understand anyway.

Which comic strip did you pull that off and whose "consensus"?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-24 11:17 PM

Seeing as Germany is already in technical recession, yet our gdp is still growing its pretty obvious that the EU is in worse straights than us already..........and we haven't left yet >:-) ........

The thing about Brexiters is that they know exactly what is going on but because they backed the wrong side they cannot now back down because it will prove that they made the wrong decision in June 2016. They cannot accomodate evidence that is contrary to their belief in their own infalliability it is simply too uncomfortable. This is called 'Cognitive Dissonance' They simply cannot reconcile their behaviour with what is ACTUALLY happening (disaster) so they will only seek views that confirm or reinforce their own initial decision to vote leave. Other people's suffering is completely irrelevant so is the evidence that they are wrong....they cannot be wrong so they have to continue to convince themselves they are not.....and when the evidence is not longer available to them they simply joke or make it up as they go along. It is pointless trying to reason with those that continue to pursue a suicidial policy for the UK.

Guest pelmetman
HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-25 9:50 AM

The thing about Brexiters is that they know exactly what is going on but because they backed the wrong side they cannot now back down because it will prove that they made the wrong decision in June 2016. They cannot accomodate evidence that is contrary to their belief in their own infalliability it is simply too uncomfortable. This is called 'Cognitive Dissonance' They simply cannot reconcile their behaviour with what is ACTUALLY happening (disaster) so they will only seek views that confirm or reinforce their own initial decision to vote leave. Other people's suffering is completely irrelevant so is the evidence that they are wrong....they cannot be wrong so they have to continue to convince themselves they are not.....and when the evidence is not longer available to them they simply joke or make it up as they go along. It is pointless trying to reason with those that continue to pursue a suicidial policy for the UK.

The thing about Remoaners is that they have a superiority complex ;-) .........and are unable to accept the FACT they lost the vote *-) .........

Nor can they accept the evidence that since the vote the UK has done very well despite their "Experts" dire predictions, and are now reduced to spinning big businesses cost cutting exercises as proof that Brexit is bad for the UK plc :D ............

The only thing that is suicidal will be Democracy.......If UK political parties to allow the minority to overrule the majority 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-01-25 10:05 AM

The thing about Remoaners is that they have a superiority complex ;-) .........and are unable to accept the FACT they lost the vote *-) .........

Nor can they accept the evidence that since the vote the UK has done very well despite their "Experts" dire predictions, and are now reduced to spinning big businesses cost cutting exercises as proof that Brexit is bad for the UK plc :D ............

The only thing that is suicidal will be Democracy.......If UK political parties to allow the minority to overrule the majority 8-) ..........

Sorry Dave but HH is spot on, its just too uncomfortable for you to accept. I dont think a minority will be allowed to overrule the majority though. If the only outcome ends up being a second (third really) vote because no other solution can be agreed upon then whatever the majority is will be the outcome and democracy wins. However in recent weeks Im not sure remain would win a second vote despite what the polls say because of people like you and because of what HH has just said. Remainers have too long been under the impression that reason and evidence could change peoples minds but reason and logic went out of the window long ago. Its like reasoning with a house brick (no offence intended). You wouldnt back down now whether you believed Brexit was the right thing to do or not.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-25 10:20 AM

Sorry Dave but HH is spot on, its just too uncomfortable for you to accept. I dont think a minority will be allowed to overrule the majority though. If the only outcome ends up being a second (third really) vote because no other solution can be agreed upon then whatever the majority is will be the outcome and democracy wins. However in recent weeks Im not sure remain would win a second vote despite what the polls say because of people like you and because of what HH has just said. Remainers have too long been under the impression that reason and evidence could change peoples minds but reason and logic went out of the window long ago. Its like reasoning with a house brick (no offence intended). You wouldnt back down now whether you believed Brexit was the right thing to do or not.

So says the bloke who thinks all Brexiteers are as thick as sh*t ;-) ..........

No doubt you don't have a superiority complex either? (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Not blaming the EU for our own home grown inept management, misgovernment and union self destrutive abuse but the EU sure did not help preserve any jobs in the UK.

First para: true, up to the "allowed to die" bit. Many have not died, so much as been taken over or supplanted by foreign owned companies. Is there any indication that we have improved the quality of UK management, or our traditional over-reliance on stock market funding with its notoriously short-term outlook, sufficiently to develop new industries from which all benefit? I do not see how membership of the EU, or otherwise, has any bearing on that.

Second para: it was never the role of the EEC to help preserve jobs in the UK. That was for the UK to manage: it failed to do so.

Third para: Why do we build the wings? http://tinyurl.com/y8zfcqwz

A story. I recently wanted to buy a bog-standard, framed, ledged, braced and boarded softwood door. In short, just a simple vertical boarded external door of the type used on outhouses or garages. I wanted a reasonable quality door, and was reluctant to buy an import.

All the doors I could find from builders merchants and local suppliers were imported through suppliers - some from the EU and some the far east. Average prices about £70 inc VAT. I tried a couple of UK door manufacturers and two local joinery workshops. The door manufacturers conceded that their doors were, in fact imported. The joinery workshops were asking £175 - £200 for what was essentially the same door. No-one could explain why I could buy three of the imports for the price of one home produced door. So, I went and looked at the cheapest import from a local merchant, thought it reasonable, and bought.

I then decided to treat it with preservative to extend its life as far as possible. From previous experience I favoured either Sikkens or Sadolin, both Scandinavian, both long established. I looked out their recommendations for product and application, and noticed that one was now owned by Dulux, and the other by Crown. Curious, I started looking a bit deeper to discover that both Dulux and Crown, to my surprise, were now part of Akzo Nobel. Here: http://tinyurl.com/ybdz2dkk (This'll make your heads spin! :-))

I knew of Akzo Nobel, but not that they owned Crown paints or Dulux, and was particularly surprised at the latter as Dulux had always, in my mind, been ICI. So, just follow that link to discover that Imperial Chemical Industries, that giant of UK manufacturing, had indeed been taken over by Akzo Nobel in 2007. Akzo Nobel is a Dutch company. Dutch? Owning ICI?

Questions. Why can't anyone make a simple, basic, traditional softwood door in UK at a competitive price, and why is almost every brand of paint on the European market owned by a Dutch company? Someone once commented about the UK selling off the family silver (thanks Michael!). It seem we have, where others have sought to preserve it. It is the product of our free market mentality, and it is why any car made in the UK (with a couple of "niche" exceptions) is now foreign multi-national produced. Stable door standing open - horse gone!

We have flogged the lot, and we now mainly work for foreign owners who, to their great credit, seem to be able to manage British workforces better than British managements but, when the chips go down, have no special loyalty to the UK and will relocate production to wherever in the world suits their bottom line. Why is that? I don't remember being offered that option on anyone's political manifesto.

pelmetman - 2019-01-25 11:17 AM

Barryd999 - 2019-01-25 10:20 AM

So says the bloke who thinks all Brexiteers are as thick as sh*t ;-) ..........

No doubt you don't have a superiority complex either? (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Show me where I have said "All" Brexiteers are as thick as sh1t.

I Dont have any complexes either Dave.

Well summed up HH....they're on a parallel universe in a state of denial. Have a listen to that phone caller link i posted yesterday to the James O'Brien programme. Absolutely staggering.

Archived