All that silly whinging

antony1969

Fast Pat - 2019-02-01 11:31 AM

You seem to be celebrating the fact we can spend 90 in any 180 day period in the Schengen area as whole and then have to leave. Currently we can move from country to country within the Schengen area for 90 days in each. That's quite a loss of freedom.

So an EU national from outside UK can currently spend 90 days here in blighty and we can do the same in their country , seems fair to me ... No one is saying it's going to be a win-win on everything for UK but its certainly a lot better than the doomsday scenario whinged about on here post after post at times ... How many people will seriously be affected by it anyway

antony1969 - 2019-02-01 12:04 PM

So an EU national from outside UK can currently spend 90 days here in blighty and we can do the same in their country , seems fair to me ... No one is saying it's going to be a win-win on everything for UK but its certainly a lot better than the doomsday scenario whinged about on here post after post at times ... How many people will seriously be affected by it anyway

Currently we can spend 90 days in France and then move onto Spain for 90, then Italy etc....

Under the new arrangement its 90 days in the Schengen area AS A WHOLE in any 180 day period. Kind of negates the benefits of a motorhome.

Fast Pat - 2019-02-01 1:04 PM

antony1969 - 2019-02-01 12:04 PM

Currently we can spend 90 days in France and then move onto Spain for 90, then Italy etc....

Under the new arrangement its 90 days in the Schengen area AS A WHOLE in any 180 day period. Kind of negates the benefits of a motorhome.

Well unfortunately for you then thats going to upset your future plans and that I appreciate isnt good ... I still believe the amount of folk it will have an affect on is small ... I presume your retired and I must admit that the plan for us in retirement was to do something similar , who knows what the travel situation will be long term after a likely no deal scenario ... Visas I presume

This is not news. Its been known for ages that no visas would be required but we will have to apply in advance through ETIAS for a three year pass for about seven quid which is basically the same thing and as has been said above we are limited to 90 days.

From the article.

"Project Fear scare stories bit the dust once again. Brits will be able to continue travelling and working abroad whilst the UK controls its own borders. Bring it on."

For 90 days. Free movement ends, we wont just be able to go and live and work in Europe that was the whole point (for brexiteers). Who are these Morons at Wastemonster or whatever its called.

Fail (Again).

Next!

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-02-01 2:07 PM

This is not news. Its been known for ages that no visas would be required but we will have to apply in advance through ETIAS for a three year pass for about seven quid which is basically the same thing and as has been said above we are limited to 90 days.

From the article.

"Project Fear scare stories bit the dust once again. Brits will be able to continue travelling and working abroad whilst the UK controls its own borders. Bring it on."

For 90 days. Free movement ends, we wont just be able to go and live and work in Europe that was the whole point (for brexiteers). Who are these Morons at Wastemonster or whatever its called.

Fail (Again).

Next!

"Part 1: Staying or Moving to Europe the Easy Way

With so many visa rules, it’s easy to stay in Europe beyond 90 days as a tourist — you just need to mix up the countries you visit. The United Kingdom has its own rules that allow you to stay 180 days in a calendar year. Most non-Schengen countries such as Ukraine, Moldova, Croatia, Ireland, and some Balkan countries allow you to stay for up to 60 or 90 days. So all you need to do is spend 90 days in the Schengen Area, visit the UK, go to the Balkans, hang out in Ukraine, drink wine in Moldova, and have a pint in Ireland. If you align your schedule right, you can easily be out of the Schengen Area for 90 days and then head back into the Schengen Area."

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/how-to-legally-stay-in-europe-for-more-than-90-days/

So that's a cheap flight back to the UK for dirty weekend every 90 days, if you don't want to register in the country ;-) ...........

From the article.

Fail (Again).

Next!

You with your obvious insider Knowledge may have known for ages but the EU has only just agreed to it ... You really should have let em know Barry

pelmetman - 2019-02-01 2:12 PM

From the article.

Fail (Again).

Next!

"Part 1: Staying or Moving to Europe the Easy Way

With so many visa rules, it’s easy to stay in Europe beyond 90 days as a tourist — you just need to mix up the countries you visit. The United Kingdom has its own rules that allow you to stay 180 days in a calendar year. Most non-Schengen countries such as Ukraine, Moldova, Croatia, Ireland, and some Balkan countries allow you to stay for up to 60 or 90 days. So all you need to do is spend 90 days in the Schengen Area, visit the UK, go to the Balkans, hang out in Ukraine, drink wine in Moldova, and have a pint in Ireland. If you align your schedule right, you can easily be out of the Schengen Area for 90 days and then head back into the Schengen Area."

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/how-to-legally-stay-in-europe-for-more-than-90-days/

So that's a cheap flight back to the UK for dirty weekend every 90 days, if you don't want to register in the country ;-) ...........

But this is misleading in terms of how it might, realistically, apply to most of us, as was made (I thought! :-)) clear here: http://tinyurl.com/y8jj4krw

Look down that post to the bit about how the 180 days is calculated. If you want to stay in the Schengen area (presently Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland, but set to enlarge further) you are limited to 90 days in the area as a whole.

Your 90 days, is cumulative, starting with the date on which you first enter, and your 180 days commences on the same date.

It is those who over-winter in, for example Spain or Portugal, who then want to take a further out of season break later in the year, or who take more than one trip into Schengen per year, staying more than 90 days in total, who will find juggling their days in Schengen, and the commencements of their 180 day periods, difficult. There seem to be a lot of retired motorhomers whose present travel patterns would put them at risk of over-staying - unless they calculate very carefully.

If you overstay in Schengen (counted as the total time you spend in the area, from the date on which you first enter to the date on which you finally leave - irrespective of how many trips you made within the 180 days) you are liable to a substantial fine and the possibility of a ban on re-entry - the duration of which will depend on your record and the reason for your overstay.

Once you've spent your 90 days, you have to stay out until 180 days after you first entered. It's fine to suggest that "all you need to do is spend 90 days in the Schengen Area, visit the UK, go to the Balkans, hang out in Ukraine, drink wine in Moldova, and have a pint in Ireland." But, who, realistically is going to do that with a motorhome?

If you enter Schengen on 1 April, your 180 days will expire on 28 September the same year. Between those dates, as things stand, you can spend up to a total of 90 days in the Schengen area.

It is unclear to me whether you could then, having used the whole of your 90 days allowance and left Schengen before 28 September, commence a further trip into Schengen that commenced before 28 September.

Neither is it clear to me whether, having spent say 70 days in Schengen on the first trip and left on, say, 10 June, you could re-enter Schengen on 1 September and so initiate a further 180 day period, or whether you would then automatically be counted as using the remaining 20 days of your first 90 day allowance, so would have to leave Schengen by 20 September, but could then re-enter on 29 September, so triggering a further 180 day period ending on 28 March the following year.

So far as I can see, if you want to spend longer than 90 days within the 180 day period, or to dispense with the 180 days period altogether, you will need to apply for a Schengen Visa. These are issued by the Schengen states individually (there being no "Schengen central"). They are not all valid for all other Schengen states: some are valid for entry to the individual state only. The limitations as to the time granted, and the conditions on which they will be granted, also vary from state to state. France is the nearest state that issues Schengen Visas valid throughout the Schengen area. The longest duration appears to be three years, but these appear to be generally reserved for work or study purposes.

If anyone has further, or more detailed, information, please do let us know.

Seems that silly , arrogant , vile , dying club many on here are desperate to be part of couldn't help themselves with a petty parting shot calling Gibraltar a "colony" ... When thats all a once mighty power has left it speaks volumes ... If Druncker aint asleep after his daily red wine intake he'll literally be weeing himself

Am I wrong but it seemed to me that most remainers on here keep telling Dave that he is breaking NHS rules if he stays out of the UK for more than 90 days if this is so none of you can legitimately stay outside the UK without falling foul of this regulation. (?)

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-01 5:27 PM

So far as I can see, if you want to spend longer than 90 days within the 180 day period, or to dispense with the 180 days period altogether, you will need to apply for a Schengen Visa. These are issued by the Schengen states individually (there being no "Schengen central"). They are not all valid for all other Schengen states: some are valid for entry to the individual state only. The limitations as to the time granted, and the conditions on which they will be granted, also vary from state to state. France is the nearest state that issues Schengen Visas valid throughout the Schengen area. The longest duration appears to be three years, but these appear to be generally reserved for work or study purposes.

If anyone has further, or more detailed, information, please do let us know.

So what's the problem? ;-) ..........

If folk want to spend longer than 90 days in a country they should follow the rules applicable in that country, which is what I intend to do in Spain B-) ........

Just as EU citizens are supposed to do ;-) ......

teflon2 - 2019-02-01 6:11 PM

Am I wrong but it seemed to me that most remainers on here keep telling Dave that he is breaking NHS rules if he stays out of the UK for more than 90 days if this is so none of you can legitimately stay outside the UK without falling foul of this regulation. (?)

Not quite sure about NHS rules, but you are right that the same is true for all. However, the Schengen area Visa (or Visa waiver terms), do not say 90 days, they say 90 days within any 180 day period, which is not quite the same thing. You can stay in Schengen for more than 90 days in any year, providing you manage the timing and duration of your trips carefully. Strictly, if you are out of the UK for more than 90 days (or whatever) you are supposed to de-register from your NHS doctor, which means the doctor's patient list shrinks by one, and what the doctor gets paid is adjusted accordingly. Then, when you return, you should re-register again. Folk must judge whether they think it is worth creating this much admin for the sake of what, for most, will be a few days.

pelmetman - 2019-02-01 9:52 PM

So what's the problem? ;-) ..........

If folk want to spend longer than 90 days in a country they should follow the rules applicable in that country, which is what I intend to do in Spain B-) ........

Just as EU citizens are supposed to do ;-) ......

There isn't necessarily a problem, but what suits "Nomadic Matt" who is an inventive New York based back-packer, travels mainly by air, stays mainly in hostels and hotels, and has made a career out of "working the system" around the world to be able to maximise his time in countries that would usually require his earlier exit, does not translate directly to sound advice for predominantly retired motorhomers who have been used to roaming Europe, pretty much at will, in motorhomes.

We don't all go to Spain once a year, in winter, and hunker down on a campsite for weeks on end, as you seem to.

It is not just the right to spend 90 days - or more - in "a country" that is at stake: it is the legal right to spend more than 90 days in the Schengen area countries, as we now can, that is at stake.

That may not interest you, but it is of interest to a number of others, myself included. What is left post Brexit, unless some further relaxation is made available, is more restrictive, more expensive, and much less convenient, and has costly penalties if one breaches the limit - whether by accident or design.

I still think, as I have said before, that you risk coming a cropper with your little ruse of relying on Spanish laxity over the type and duration of Visas that they issue. Given the care with which you generally seem to read anything longer than a tweet, I still suspect you will be proved wrong, and will find your trips constrained in the same way as everyone else. But, as ever, it is your choice how carefully you do your research.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-02 11:57 AM

I still think, as I have said before, that you risk coming a cropper with your little ruse of relying on Spanish laxity over the type and duration of Visas that they issue. Given the care with which you generally seem to read anything longer than a tweet, I still suspect you will be proved wrong, and will find your trips constrained in the same way as everyone else. But, as ever, it is your choice how carefully you do your research.

More wishful thinking on your part Brian ;-) ..........I'm happy to follow any rules the Spanish wish to enforce :D ........

I hear that the Spanish plod have been rounding up wild campers and getting them to register at the town hall 8-) ..........

Perhaps they are clamping down on those who flout the rules :D ........

BTW how many British motorhomers do you think spend more than 90 days in the EU.......1000?.....2000?........pretty small beer in the scheme of things :-| ..........

pelmetman - 2019-02-02 1:01 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-02 11:57 AM

More wishful thinking on your part Brian ;-) ..........I'm happy to follow any rules the Spanish wish to enforce :D ........

I hear that the Spanish plod have been rounding up wild campers and getting them to register at the town hall 8-) ..........

Perhaps they are clamping down on those who flout the rules :D ........

BTW how many British motorhomers do you think spend more than 90 days in the EU.......1000?.....2000?........pretty small beer in the scheme of things :-| ..........

If the Spanish choose to grant you a formal long stay Schengen Visa, I assume that is their prerogative. How many people spend more than 90 days per year in Schengen is irrelevant to whether it will be possible. Both you and I do this, and wish to be able to continue doing so.

However, this is what your man Nomadic Matt says is required to obtain a similar long stay Schengen Visa issued by France, to be presented at the French consulate/embassy, by appointent, between three months and one month before you depart UK:

•One application form filled out completely and signed

•One ID picture glued onto the application form

•Your original passport, which must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for three months after your return, and have at least two blank pages left

•A letter certified by a notary public that promises you won’t engage in work

•A letter of employment stating current occupation and earnings

•Proof of income (you’ll need bank statements or copies of your investment portfolio)

•Proof of medical insurance that includes evacuation insurance

•Proof of accommodation in France. (The French consulate never returned my emails, so I was unsure how you could have this before you even get to France. One could use a friend’s address or, lacking that, “rent” a place (one where you can get a refund) for the purposes of the interview. It’s a little fuzzy.)

He goes on to say "Greece, Spain, and Portugal also offer long-term-stay visas, but they’re geared to people who are retired or plan to work in the country and have a lot of assets. They aren’t meant for people passing through, but you can always try and apply anyway. They have a lot more requirements and are really meant for people who will live there." It would be wise to check whether this advice is up to date.

I can only repeat what I understand the Schengen rules to say, I can't say how each country individually interprets them, nor whether countries that are accused of taking liberties will be required to change/tighten their practices.

There is no wishful thinking involved, just a search for legal clarity. What you seem to intend doing sounds to me as though it doesn't comply, and/or is the result of misunderstanding, so I am trying to advise you to be cautious. You treat that advice as you choose.

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-02 11:35 AM

Not quite sure about NHS rules, but you are right that the same is true for all. Strictly, if you are out of the UK for more than 90 days (or whatever) you are supposed to de-register from your NHS doctor, which means the doctor's patient list shrinks by one, and what the doctor gets paid is adjusted accordingly. Then, when you return, you should re-register again. Folk must judge whether they think it is worth creating this much admin for the sake of what, for most, will be a few days.

There is a *90 day rule" and it's always been there but was rarely enforced. That's now going to change. Much depends on two points...1) if the person is on regular prescribed meds and 2) your GP and Pharmacist.

You are right about de-registering though some GP's will do it for you if they know you've been out of UK beyond the 90 day limit. As a consequence of being removed from a GP's list that person also ceases to be eligible for NHS treatment.

A GP is not permitted to give more than a three month (90 day) supply of 'meds' and neither is a Pharmacist permitted to dispense above that.

However, this is where the 'rule bending' starts. Some GP's will overlook the 90 day rule and give their patient whatever amount needed. It's wrong, it's unethical, and they are certainly putting their jobs at risk but i know for a fact that some have done this. Just as it's also wrong for them not to remove a patient from their list. I'm quoting an actual case here on both counts. Whats more the person concerned actually told their doctor they would be out of UK for five months. His response? "I haven't heard that". Just the same when they sold up to go 'fulltime'. To register with a GP you need a residential address. When they did they told their doctor they intended to use a relatives address. His response to that was, "i don't want to know about that".

So the bottom line is much depends on the GP you're dealing with. It's the same with NHS dentists too but mine would only allow a two month limit. When i told them i was out of UK for three months they told me i'd lose my place on their list and could no longer treat me. Despite pointing out to them the NHS limit is three months they flatly refused to budge....so i've lost my NHS dentist now.

It's all well and good people saying they will abide with the law of the country they are sitting on a campsite says, that bears no relevance when your country of "habitual residence" is UK. If status is UK resident you have to abide in accordance with what laws say here as well unless wanting to risk making yourself non-resident, but certain ones seem to think they can pick and choose their 'residency' as and when suits. Even genuine ex-pat British take a dim view of any British doing this as it is known about among that community but rightly condemned.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-02 7:17 PM

Not quite sure about NHS rules, but you are right that the same is true for all. Strictly, if you are out of the UK for more than 90 days (or whatever) you are supposed to de-register from your NHS doctor, which means the doctor's patient list shrinks by one, and what the doctor gets paid is adjusted accordingly. Then, when you return, you should re-register again. Folk must judge whether they think it is worth creating this much admin for the sake of what, for most, will be a few days.

There is a *90 day rule" and it's always been there but was rarely enforced. That's now going to change. Much depends on two points...1) if the person is on regular prescribed meds and 2) your GP and Pharmacist.

You are right about de-registering though some GP's will do it for you if they know you've been out of UK beyond the 90 day limit. As a consequence of being removed from a GP's list that person also ceases to be eligible for NHS treatment.

A GP is not permitted to give more than a three month (90 day) supply of 'meds' and neither is a Pharmacist permitted to dispense above that.

However, this is where the 'rule bending' starts. Some GP's will overlook the 90 day rule and give their patient whatever amount needed. It's wrong, it's unethical, and they are certainly putting their jobs at risk but i know for a fact that some have done this. Just as it's also wrong for them not to remove a patient from their list. I'm quoting an actual case here on both counts. Whats more the person concerned actually told their doctor they would be out of UK for five months. His response? "I haven't heard that". Just the same when they sold up to go 'fulltime'. To register with a GP you need a residential address. When they did they told their doctor they intended to use a relatives address. His response to that was, "i don't want to know about that".

So the bottom line is much depends on the GP you're dealing with. It's the same with NHS dentists too but mine would only allow a two month limit. When i told them i was out of UK for three months they told me i'd lose my place on their list and could no longer treat me. Despite pointing out to them the NHS limit is three months they flatly refused to budge....so i've lost my NHS dentist now.

It's all well and good people saying they will abide with the law of the country they are sitting on a campsite says, that bears no relevance when your country of "habitual residence" is UK. If status is UK resident you have to abide in accordance with what laws say here as well unless wanting to risk making yourself non-resident, but certain ones seem to think they can pick and choose their 'residency' as and when suits. Even genuine ex-pat British take a dim view of any British doing this as it is known about among that community but rightly condemned.

Blimey Bullet 8-) ....

You've caught Brian's verbal diarrhea :D .......

How long have either of you spent in Spain? ;-) ............

Enough said eh? >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-02 5:12 PM

There is no wishful thinking involved, just a search for legal clarity. What you seem to intend doing sounds to me as though it doesn't comply, and/or is the result of misunderstanding, so I am trying to advise you to be cautious. You treat that advice as you choose.

So worse case scenario Spain will prevent me from spending 1.5k to 2k a month in their country :D .......

Whilst allowing illegals to stay ;-) .........

Blimey Brian if that's how the EU works its no wonder they are Doomed (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2019-02-02 7:30 PM

You are UK resident, not Spanish. I suggest you familiarise yourself with regulations of where your residential status is rather than where you go on holiday. It's not me that made those regulations, it's the NHS GMSC under UK Gov that you're attempting to dispute. Don't take my word for it....contact your MP and ask them which is exactly what i did. I still have the letters from my MP and the DoH which is what i've quoted from.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-03 7:26 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-02 7:30 PM

You are UK resident, not Spanish. I suggest you familiarise yourself with regulations of where your residential status is rather than where you go on holiday. It's not me that made those regulations, it's the NHS GMSC under UK Gov that you're attempting to dispute. Don't take my word for it....contact your MP and ask them which is exactly what i did. I still have the letters from my MP and the DoH which is what i've quoted from.

My Spanish NHS doctor isn't bothered ;-) ...........

So I'm not :D ...........

The fact it annoys you is a bonus (lol) ..........

Archived