All them EU rules.....

Bulletguy

Bulletguy - 2020-02-01 5:30 PM

Interesting string of facts and figures backed up with official links showing out of 34,105 UK laws, only 4,514 were influenced by EU and Vote Leave could only find 72 which had been 'forced' on us.

That's 72 too many as far as I'm concerned.

teflon2 - 2020-02-01 7:02 PM

Interesting string of facts and figures backed up with official links showing out of 34,105 UK laws, only 4,514 were influenced by EU and Vote Leave could only find 72 which had been 'forced' on us.

Err.....doesn't look like you bothered to read any of them! Here are a couple of examples from the list of 72;

1) Safety advisers dealing with transport of dangerous goods on public roads etc must be properly trained and regulated.

2) Trucks for livestock journeys over 8 hours must have bedding, feed, water, ventilation, partitions and access for inspectors.

So for clarity, care to explain what you find objectionable to either of those and why? :-S

Bulletguy - 2020-02-01 7:58 PM

Err.....doesn't look like you bothered to read any of them! Here are a couple of examples from the list of 72;

1) Safety advisers dealing with transport of dangerous goods on public roads etc must be properly trained and regulated.

2) Trucks for livestock journeys over 8 hours must have bedding, feed, water, ventilation, partitions and access for inspectors.

So for clarity, care to explain what you find objectionable to either of those and why? :-S

"Forced" is what I find objectionable. As to the EU animal care we have had UK regulation since 1986 and just a couple of examples of European treatment of animals and fishing, veal n Europe is created by crating the calves so that they do not generate muscle meat, the EU allow stun line fishing which is banned in many fish areas.The UK has always had better animal husbandry than most of Europe with the exception of Kosher and Halal slaughter which should be banned, humane slaughter is bad enough without the needless terror caused by these outmoded systems.

teflon2 - 2020-02-02 6:09 PM

"Forced" is what I find objectionable. As to the EU animal care we have had UK regulation since 1986 and just a couple of examples of European treatment of animals and fishing, veal n Europe is created by crating the calves so that they do not generate muscle meat, the EU allow stun line fishing which is banned in many fish areas.The UK has always had better animal husbandry than most of Europe with the exception of Kosher and Halal slaughter which should be banned, humane slaughter is bad enough without the needless terror caused by these outmoded systems.

Quite. So as we already exceed the minimum legal requirement in both respects, why should such regulations be troublesome?

I confess I don't understand the relevance of the word "forced" in this respect, or why it was used, since it implies that we wished to apply lower standards and found the above too onerous.

Seems odd to me. Did the UK lobby against those regulations, or did we merely not contribute because we already exceeded the requirement? Strange, innit! :-)

"Forced" is what I find objectionable.

The two examples i quoted seem reasonable and fair to me. I can't think why anyone would object to being "forced" to comply with laws like that.

...the EU allow stun line fishing which is banned in many fish areas.

The European Parliament banned it.

Perhaps Fisheries man Farage was one who voted to support it though doubtful as he only ever managed to attend one EP Fisheries committee meeting out of 42.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20180112IPR91630/new-fisheries-rules-add-a-ban-on-electric-pulse-fishing-say-meps

Brian Kirby - 2020-02-02 6:44 PM

Quite. So as we already exceed the minimum legal requirement in both respects, why should such regulations be troublesome?

I confess I don't understand the relevance of the word "forced" in this respect, or why it was used, since it implies that we wished to apply lower standards and found the above too onerous.

Seems odd to me. Did the UK lobby against those regulations, or did we merely not contribute because we already exceeded the requirement? Strange, innit! :-)

It was just the term used by the guy who uploaded the string of the 72 rules. Well worth reading through some of them. He's done a LOT of research!

Up until last Thursday we were a member of the EU and had as much say as anyone else in drafting EU Rules. It wasn't until BoJo took us out that we stopped having a say on the EU Rules we are still bound by.

If you want a real example of 'Forced' look at the Extended Royal Family that really are Forced on us without a vote. Or the House of Lords that really is Forced on us and that alone is bigger than the whole of the EU Parliament for 27 countries!!

Why can't we have a referendum on them *-)

John52 - 2020-02-03 5:59 AM

Up until last Thursday we were a member of the EU and had as much say as anyone else in drafting EU Rules. It wasn't until BoJo took us out that we stopped having a say on the EU Rules we are still bound by.

If you want a real example of 'Forced' look at the Extended Royal Family that really are Forced on us without a vote. Or the House of Lords that really is Forced on us and that alone is bigger than the whole of the EU Parliament for 27 countries!!

Why can't we have a referendum on them *-)

Are you a relative of Nicola Sturgeon? You have the same 'one trick Pony' mentality. *-)

Archived