Another Bonanza for Fraudsters

John52

Brian Kirby - 2021-12-21 5:35 PM

It seems it's either that, or prepare for a hail of bankruptcies and redundancies, which also has its costs. Which proves the better call will be decided by the virus (or more correctly, by how many people conspire to spread it around). 'Twas ever thus. :-S

Well the High Street and casual dining sector was already in crisis before Covid. We have got too many shops, pubs, restaurants, coffee bars etc. We need to rebalance the economy away from the service sector.

In any case, even where there is no corruption, there is incompetence that is paying out £millions to non existant businesses. And with Brexit killing our exports and the rich off-limits in Her Majesty's Tax Havens, how are we going to pay this money back?

But I suppose the idea is to put off the inevitable redundancies and bankruptcies until after the next election.

Along with the debt repayments

And now that so much debt has been clocked up to support uneconomic businesses and fraudsters, to stop now would be an admission of failure that could have been put off till after the election. :-S

Yes but, they don't have the time or resources to do it properly, and examine the accounts of each applicant and test whether it is really necessary to shore up the company, or whether they are just maintaining (or enhancing) a desired profit level. Looking on the Bright side, I assume the truth will eventually show in the end of year accounts that will have to go to HMRC, so maybe they will be able to ask the hard to answer questions?

Brian Kirby - 2021-12-22 11:20 AM

Yes but, they don't have the time or resources to do it properly, and examine the accounts of each applicant and test whether it is really necessary to shore up the company, or whether they are just maintaining (or enhancing) a desired profit level. Looking on the Bright side, I assume the truth will eventually show in the end of year accounts that will have to go to HMRC, so maybe they will be able to ask the hard to answer questions?

It will be like the £billions paid out to chancers for useless PPE.

They won't even try to get a refund because they will want to keep it quiet that they have been bribed or conned.

Last I heard was HMRC only had a couple of hundred people investigating fraud. They are supposed to do employment minimum wage etc as well. Thats why we have a black economy and waves of illegal immigrants.

(Wheras the DWP have over 4,000 fraud investigators, and advertise a free phone line inviting the plebs to shop their neighbours. Inviting malicious calls and innocent claimants put through traumatic investigations. Same Old Tory Divide & Rule.)

Brian Kirby - 2021-12-22 11:20 AM

Some might have been easier than others to check?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/two-rishi-sunaks-wifes-firms-24781792

Again, yes, but. :-) If the claims are/were fraudulent, then it seems HMRC have the power to recover, insofar as the recipients have assets. Even if the present government is uninclined to pursue the cases, a future government should still be able to do so. Whether they will, will depend on the colour of that government. If that is not done, then, it seems to me, will be the time to cry foul. What, in practical terms, under present circumstances, is the realistic alternative?

Archived