Another Brexit calamity

Bulletguy

The calamities just keep on coming!!!

From Sunday 1 May, Spain and its traffic authorities will no longer consider the UK driving licence a valid one. That means any Brit who is permanently housed in the Iberian nation will now be banned from driving there, until a solution is found.

Talks are ongoing between the UK and Spain, as both countries look to find a way forward. However, with no agreement sorted by the end of April, road-using British citizens will have to keep their cars at home for the time being.

Those who moved to Spain BEFORE 1 January 2021 will no longer have their UK licences considered ‘valid’

Those who moved to Spain AFTER 1 January 2021 will only have UK licences considered valid ‘from six months after residency was obtained’.

Tens of thousands of immigrants are now being asked to retake both theory AND practical tests to obtain a Spanish licence. (It should be in Spanish!)

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/why-uk-drivers-banned-driving-licence-spain-brexit-321207/

mtravel - 2022-05-03 6:06 PM

Before learning Spanish you should understand what is the right side to drive on.

It should be straightforward, Swedish changed it in one night.

That could never happen here Max....we'd spend years wailing about losing our 'identity' and 'Britishness'!! (lol)

Driving a right hand drive vehicle in Europe isn't so bad as long as you stay aware. It's VERY easy to make a mistake though and it happened to me once in Zamosc, Poland. I'd driven to a supermarket which was on a small industrial estate off the main dual carriageway. Did my shopping, came back to my van and after restocking the fridge, drove out of the car park......and found myself going down the wrong side of the dual carriageway!! 8-)

Luckily it wasn't too busy and I was able to turn the van around......BUT what I will never forget was how easy it happened. The Polish drivers who saw me found it amusing though!

Archived