Answers please

nightrider

If you own a TV reciever you are required to have a TV license, so what is the situation in this case.

You can watch BBC TV on the computer via BBC iplayer, so, as your TV license is coming up for renewal you get a reminder a month before it expires, you inform the license people that you are not renewing it and you are in fact getting rid of your TV.

So, you dont have a TV therefore you dont need a license but via your computer you can watch BBC TV, so as far as I am aware you do not need a licence to operate a computer, what do the team think???

If you have any form of equipment that can receive broadcasts you require a licence. I know of someone that once had a screen linked to a dvd/vcr didnt have any of the tv channels on it but because it was capable of being made able to receive broadcasts he ended up with a nice fine and yes it did go as far as the courts. This was because the monitor he was using was able to receive broadcasts if connected to the likes of a digibox/computor etc

I have in front of me a TV licence application form.

On the back are the 'Terms and conditions'

It says " TV equipment means television receiving equipment " so as your computer can receive TV programmes it seems they have that covered by the rules.

Also it says:

What is a TV licence needed for = " To use any TV equipment such as TV set, digital box, video or DVD recorder, computer or mobile phone to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on television "

So there's no way round the licence I'm afraid !

:-(

howie - 2008-12-10 11:48 PM

What does the team think ?. The team thinks that you and that 'penny pinching' friend of yours might have more in common than you think Malcolm. ;-)

Howie,

Do me a favour please, I was only outlining my friends quirky ways , not mine.

The TV licence thread was prompted by someone asking me the question, although I am master of my own household I have no juristiction over the TV that is in the domain of my wife and 90 year old mother in law.

Being a member of a practising Methodist family and with my son in law being a man of the cloth (a Methodist minister) I have to be seen as whiter than white and cannot afford to get up to any hanky-panky.

Family standing in the community and all that.

Tony Jones - 2008-12-11 9:21 AM

knight of the road - 2008-12-11 9:13 AM

... cannot afford to get up to any hanky-panky.

What's that got to do with your TV licence?

Or would the money you save on the licence mean you COULD "afford to get up to hanky-panky?" :-D

Tony,

I am the kind of guy whose life is an open book, there are no skeletons in my cupboard, even if I could afford to or even if I wanted to, hanky-panky is simply out of the question.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with a silent killer of which I am under medication for and the side effects put paid to any kinds of nochturnal high jinks, the side effects are as follows, a little weight gain through increased appetite, hot flushes (uncomfortable) mood swings (nowt fresh) increased hair growth on head, loss of bodily hair and a more rounded body.

So if you can guess what the malady is that might kill me, which effects males only I would suggest members who might be in their 50's to get down to their doctors for a check up, leave it too late and you are dead as a Dodo, I was fortunate in being diagnosed early enough.

With so many channels now to choose from a lot of people are asking why we should pay for a tv licence anyway. My own view is that its all worthwhile if only to watch programs without having to put up with the ever increasing advertising, and nobody beats the beeb when it comes to the real quality viewing it comes up with now and then.

The one criticism seems to be the amount of political bias shown on programs such as the news or current affairs where government failings are either glossed over or even totally ignored, but seeing as BBC directors are only appointed with government approval then only to be expected.

'Increased hair growth on the head'. Always had a interest in medical treatments Malcolm and just wondering what medication you're on at the moment.

:$

Archived