Anyone booked their Jollies to the EU.........

Guest pelmetman

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

Looks like a No then :D .........

Cant say I'm surprised as I'm hearing that folk who went out to Spain for the winter to sit in the sun with a mask on ;-) ..........

Are now getting hit with £500+ bills for COVID tests etc to get back to Brexit Blighty 8-) .......

pelmetman - 2021-03-20 5:24 PM

Cant say I'm surprised as I'm hearing that folk who went out to Spain for the winter to sit in the sun with a mask on ;-) ..........

Are now getting hit with £500+ bills for COVID tests etc to get back to Brexit Blighty 8-) .......

Cant say I'm surprised, that amount are the customs duties on re-importing the Blighty virus they exported for free before December 31st.

Ah, ah, the first 90 days of Brexit are already about to expire, it's time to go home before they are kicked out of Schengen.

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2021-03-21 8:34 AM

pelmetman - 2021-03-20 5:24 PM

Cant say I'm surprised, that amount are the customs duties on re-importing the Blighty virus they exported for free before December 31st.

Ah, ah, the first 90 days of Brexit are already about to expire, it's time to go home before they are kicked out of Schengen.

I doubt anyone with any sense will want to travel to the EU plague pit until you have sorted out your vaccine farce ;-) ..........

Fortunately the UK will soon be emerging from Lockdown to enjoy Brexit Blighty's Sunlit Uplands B-) ...........

pelmetman - 2021-03-21 10:06 AM

I doubt anyone with any sense will want to travel to the EU plague pit until you have sorted out your vaccine farce ;-) ..........

Fortunately the UK will soon be emerging from Lockdown to enjoy Brexit Blighty's Sunlit Uplands B-) ...........

But if you are all vaccinated what problems do you have?

Ah, yes, vaccinated but just once.

If you have "Sunlit Uplands", why do you fry to go to the Mediterranean ?

Do you feel the need to escape from your wet and rainy hills ?

The problem is even after people have both doses some are still vulnerable, and even more so in a country with high infection rate.

Average protection is about 70 % two weeks after one dose, and 90 % after two doses. I think we maybe safer staying in our lovely UK at the moment. All we need is the pubs open and a little more sunshine.

:-D

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2021-03-21 9:39 AM

I'll be getting my 2nd jab in May B-) ...........

Which year will you get your first? ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
thebishbus - 2021-03-21 10:29 AM

The problem is even after people have both doses some are still vulnerable, and even more so in a country with high infection rate.

Average protection is about 70 % two weeks after one dose, and 90 % after two doses. I think we maybe safer staying in our lovely UK at the moment. All we need is the pubs open and a little more sunshine.

:-D

Indeed.......... Much safer than EU Lurgy Land ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2021-03-21 12:00 PM

Very likely early May, second dose around May 25. And we are even.

Not much, because your AZ will give you 82% coverage, my Pfizer 95+

"When a single issue defines a country’s politics for as long as Brexit has England’s, it’s perhaps inevitable that, after a while, it can be hard to see beyond it. For a country still finding its feet after the biggest shock to its international position since the war, everything seems somehow connected to the decision to leave.

It was striking, in British reaction to the suspension of use of the AstraZeneca vaccine across Europe this week, how it was reflexively assumed that the British origins of the product (it was developed in Oxford) was at the root of EU attitudes to it. “The European Union would rather see their people die than the United Kingdom succeed. They have smeared the brilliant cheap efficient AstraZeneca vaccine – an act of medical stupidity and political insanity,” wrote Tony Parsons, a polemical columnist.

British ministers treat every question about the safety or effectiveness of the vaccine as a grievous insult to national honour. Even some Remainers ask whether EU scepticism towards the AstraZeneca jab springs from the continental view that Britain is run by cowboys.

The vaccine is treated as a national champion, a symbol of British pluck and ingenuity. That link is seldom drawn in EU

There is no denying that European leaders have found it galling to see the UK sprint ahead in the vaccine race. The rapid start in the UK, as well as in the US and Israel, has increased domestic pressure on those leaders, even if delivery schedules in the EU and the UK suggest the continent will largely have closed the gap by early summer. But the Brexiteers’ conspiracy theory doesn’t hold up to any real scrutiny. In England, “the Oxford vaccine” is treated as a national champion, a symbol of British pluck and ingenuity.

That link is seldom drawn in the EU, where “the British vaccine” is a formulation applied as rarely to the AstraZeneca jab as “the German vaccine” is used to refer to the one developed in Mainz* by BioNTech and produced by the US pharma giant Pfizer. AstraZeneca is an Anglo-Swedish firm run by a Frenchman. The biggest share of investment in its vaccine came from the US and the bulk of its production is happening in India. The multinational Oxford vaccine team is jointly led by a scientist from Dublin.

As with any conspiracy theory, this one overlooks the straightforward and obvious reason for EU caution: its trust in AstraZeneca was shaken from early on and has never recovered. The Oxford/AstraZeneca team managed an extraordinary feat – producing a safe and effective vaccine against a novel coronavirus within a few months. Yet time and again, AstraZeneca has undermined its own efforts with communication blunders, a lack of transparency and a consistent record of overestimating its own capacity to deliver.

Relations between the EU and AstraZeneca have been poisonous since January, when the company slashed its delivery estimates for the first quarter of the year from 100 million to just 30 million – without adequate explanation or notice, as the EU saw it.

Governments and regulators can be forgiven for being cautious – and for reasons that have nothing to do with Brexit

Having talked up its programme through last spring and summer – AstraZeneca originally said it would deliver vaccines by October 2020 – the company made its biggest error in November, when the release of confusing results from its phase-three clinical trials raised eyebrows around the world. A press release announcing the results said that, depending on dosage, the vaccine was either 62 or 90 per cent effective. But it was US authorities which revealed the higher efficacy rate applied only to a small sample of patients aged under 55.

Nor did AstraZeneca disclose at first that the more efficacious dosage combination (a half-dose followed by a full one) was the unplanned result of a contract manufacturer producing a half-dose by accident. Production delays during the trial meant many of those participants received the second dose after an extended interval. (It is now believed that the higher efficacy was probably due to the longer interval, meaning the production delay turned out to be very useful).

In London, Boris Johnson hailed the “incredibly exciting” results. But while the results were strong, the lack of transparency shook regulators’ confidence. AstraZeneca’s stock fell. Governments worried that the confusion would feed vaccine scepticism. Moncef Slaoui, head of the US vaccine taskforce, suggested the difference in efficacy rates could be “random”.

Meanwhile, the US Food and Drug Administration had reacted angrily when it learned from the media that AstraZeneca had temporarily halted its trials around the world after a participant in Britain fell ill. The US had invested $1 billion in the vaccine and felt it should have been kept informed. The upshot of American concerns is that AstraZeneca had yet even to apply for approval there; as a result some 30 million doses are sitting unused in American warehouses. The outcome of a new phase-three trial involving 30,000 participants is due to be disclosed in coming days.

Studies of the AstraZeneca vaccine’s efficacy in the real world have been highly encouraging, with a recent analysis of 17,000 people showing it offers 82 per cent protection against the virus after the second dose. The green light from the European Medicines Agency on Thursday has cleared the way for states to use it again, and the company expects to be able to ramp up production in the second quarter. But governments and regulators can be forgiven for being cautious – and for reasons that have nothing to do with Brexit."

Ruadhán Mac Cormaic in The Irish Times

CurtainRaiser - 2021-03-21 1:16 PM

... British reaction to the suspension of use of the AstraZeneca vaccine across Europe...

In the Kingdom you always talk about the EU but Norway and Iceland (non-EU) have taken the same decision.

Switzerland, which is not an EU country, has not yet approved it.

But the only clever ones are Johnson's subjects ...

More than a doubt assail me.

Think people, think.

If you have "Sunlit Uplands", why do you try to go to the Mediterranean ?

Those Sunlit uplands are limited to 90 days since the idiots voted to end their own freedom of movement which has finished his winters as an illegal in Spain.

mtravel - 2021-03-21 12:43 PM

... British reaction to the suspension of use of the AstraZeneca vaccine across Europe...

In the Kingdom you always talk about the EU but Norway and Iceland (non-EU) have taken the same decision.

Think people, think.

Not all of us are his 'subject's' Max....the adults prefer fact to fictional nonsense, empty promises, and clowning around! ;-)

That article is well worth reading through when you have time.

Bulletguy - 2021-03-21 4:06 PM

mtravel - 2021-03-21 12:43 PM

Think people, think.

Not all of us are his 'subject's' Max....the adults prefer fact to fictional nonsense, empty promises, and clowning around! ;-)

That article is well worth reading through when you have time.

I read it in fact I extracted and quoted a sentence.

thebishbus - 2021-03-21 4:21 PM

Tell me something, all you people criticising the UK with their delay between some vaccinations, which countries are the infection rates, hospital admissions, and deaths reducing . ?

Brian B

Those countries that are in the higher level of lockdown, you know that parts of France and Germany are going from the equivalent of level two and level three into level four, where as we have been in level four since Christmas. Its lockdown not the vaccine that has brought the infection level down.

pelmetman - 2021-03-21 11:00 AM

I suppose its necessary to point out we are dependent on getting vaccine from the EU?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/21/eu-export-ban-would-delay-uk-covid-vaccine-drive-by-two-months

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2021-03-21 9:28 PM

pelmetman - 2021-03-21 11:00 AM

I suppose its necessary to point out we are dependent on getting vaccine from the EU?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/21/eu-export-ban-would-delay-uk-covid-vaccine-drive-by-two-months

Best tell your EU chums they need us more than we need them >:-) ..........

Coz they can only slightly delay our roll out to the under 50's (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Where as they have yet to vaccinate all their 80 year olds 8-) .........

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-03-21 6:43 PM

thebishbus - 2021-03-21 6:22 PM

Well if you believe that, I can see why people on here treat so many of your posts with ridicule.

Brian B.

Have French and German schools been closed across the country since November only just reopening?

No. Thought not.

Obviously their education system is not infested with bone idle Loony Lefties *-) .........

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2021-03-21 11:15 AM

pelmetman - 2021-03-21 12:00 PM

Very likely early May, second dose around May 25. And we are even.

Not much, because your AZ will give you 82% coverage, my Pfizer 95+

Given the way the EU has managed your Vaccine rollout and that Italy has already binned 200,000 AZ jabs *-) ..........

I shouldn't build up your hopes ;-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-03-21 12:16 PM

Studies of the AstraZeneca vaccine’s efficacy in the real world have been highly encouraging, with a recent analysis of 17,000 people showing it offers 82 per cent protection against the virus after the second dose. The green light from the European Medicines Agency on Thursday has cleared the way for states to use it again, and the company expects to be able to ramp up production in the second quarter. But governments and regulators can be forgiven for being cautious – and for reasons that have nothing to do with Brexit."

Ruadhán Mac Cormaic in The Irish Times

Seeing as it was Boris who invested British taxpayer money in the AZ vaccine ;-) ..........

Mr Cormaic is talking out of his arse >:-) .........

(lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Archived