Anyone for the Christmas Markets

enodreven

Hi,

Sounds like a great idea, I think there are quiet a few Christmas markets around the UK which are worth going to,

Its just that I felt a quick trip across the channel to see a few Christmas markets and perhaps pick up some duty free drink and the cheap diesel coupled with the Aires and Stelplatz would make it, a nice short trip and not to costly ?

Brian

carioca - 2007-11-30 12:40 PM . . . Brugge was lovely but market a bit small

You did know that they have two markets, right?

After popping into Brugge on numerous occasions over the years we thought it would be nice to actually stay there and did so for a week last December.

Despite the two Christmas Markets being a bit small we found the real wonder of Christmas was hidden away up lots of backstreets where we found many seasonal shops that were wonderful.

If you like, the whole place is one giant Christmas Market.

Hi, One of the best things about Bruges is surely the statue ofMadonna by Michelangelo, I'm not sure that people realise that its actually there, normally when asked most people assume its in RomeAs for the Christmas markets, I was think of perhaps Aachen or even Cologne and perhaps ending up back at Bruges on the return.
Way2Go - 2007-11-30 1:07 PM
carioca - 2007-11-30 12:40 PM . . . Brugge was lovely but market a bit small

You did know that they have two markets, right?

After popping into Brugge on numerous occasions over the years we thought it would be nice to actually stay there and did so for a week last December.

Despite the two Christmas Markets being a bit small we found the real wonder of Christmas was hidden away up lots of backstreets where we found many seasonal shops that were wonderful.

If you like, the whole place is one giant Christmas Market.

Just got the van back from Spinney Motors after the warranty work. Excellent service and I cannot praise them enough. Anyway, with that done we are going to Lincoln on Thursday then onto Wells Near the Sea in Norfolk on Friday for their Christmas Tides Festival. Don't ask, don't know, but it sounded fun!

Hi all

Angi and I were looking to go for Christmas but some friends dropped out so we are now staying in UK as not enough info on Germany at Christmas was forth coming and as we have only been "vanners for six months decided that we would try Germany in the summer first if we are going on our own, we have now arranged to stay on a pub site for a few days over Christmas holiday, no worries about driving home after. What I can say about Germany goes back to my army days in the 1970's when I was posted to a camp between Dusseldorf and Munchen Gladbach, the weather is cold in the few years that I was there we had snow every year at Christmas and the bars did not close until the last custormer left, the natives were friendly and the Jagersnizel was to die for. If anyone is thinking of arranging a trip next year, if there is enough notice we would be happy to consider it

Geof & Angi

Hi,

We are off, heading for the C&CC site at Canterbury until Monday then 8:15 Seafrance ferry, then heading towards Aachen and Koln not sure where from there but hope to spend a week or so touring

anyone heading our way please wave, or feel free to join us

Bessacarr E735

Brian & Barb

Geof & Angi - 2007-11-30 8:32 PM

Hi all

Angi and I were looking to go for Christmas but some friends dropped out so we are now staying in UK as not enough info on Germany at Christmas was forth coming

Geof & Angi

Hi Geof & Angi

When I read this thread I remember that you started a thread called 'Germany @ Christmas', asking for sites etc. This was in Sites Speak. I replied with details of some sites we have stayed at. This is the link to the relevant page: http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8695&posts=3

Perhaps some ideas for next year? We aren't going this year, but maybe again next year. Can definitely recommend it!

Ina.

Thanks Ina

Yes did get your reply and thanks, but as I said the friends that we were going with had to pull out for family reasons so we decided not to go this year. I do have a copy of the site address and will check them out again next year.

Thanks again

Geof

Hi, Just an update, we arrived at the Bruges Aire on Monday at 1:0pm and paid a short visit to the town centre for dinner, but the weather was pretty bad it hardly stopped raining and the wind was blowing, we left there on Tuesday heading for Aachen and the weather wasn't too bad we arrived at the Aachen Aire at 2:00pm and stayed until Thursday morning the market and town centre were very nice and just what you would expect from a German Christmas market, lots of stalls selling Gluwein and Bratwurst together with the stalls selling Christmas trinkets plus some stalls selling heavy woolen jumpers and that's about it, if you haven never been before they aren't like normal European markets e.g. they don't normally sell the every day items like cheese and meat etc. they really are Christmas markets mainly for enjoyment, it does seem that a lot of people use them as meeting places for a chat ??

we left Aachen which has a great Stelplatz[Aire] that is about a 15/20 walk into the centre you can catch a bus from outside but its better to walk to the nearest main junction which is approximately 5 mins walk and then catch the bus?? there is stall on the stelplatz that sells bread between 8:30 and 9:00 am every day the cost per night inc electric is 12euro there are showers well one shower each ?? 1 euro

on leaving Aachen we headed for Cologne and stopped on another Stelplatz overlooking the Rhine really nice position with the tram stop 5 mins away 8 euro plus electric, be careful if you use this one as they do block you in as the parking is a bit haphazard?? nice position for visiting Cologne, there are supposed to be 6 Christmas markets in Cologne we only found 3 but that was enough, also its really worth visiting the Dom.

we only stayed one night as the weather has been foul over the last few days so we decided to miss out Valkenburg and head straight back to Burges which is where i am sending this post from. We decided to stay on camping Memling this time as we felt that the extra 5 euros was worth it over the aire for the showers and free Wifi, plus the security and free water and disposal,.

Bye for now

Brian

Hi, Michele

Its really worth a visit as not many people get to see anything by Michangleo in there lifetime, and its there for everyone so close ?? you will be very surprised when you find it that there are very few people who go into this church, and i am sure that most people who visit Bruges don't even know its there let alone where it is

have a look at the link it really explains about the subject.

http://www.isi.edu/~hobbs/madonna/madonna.html

and Twooks is correct its not in the Dom as most people think its sort of around the back of the Dom, its quiet a large church near the canal system if you head behind the Dom you should find it, the canal i am talking about it the small one where you can get the trip boats ?

its worth finding

Brian

michele - 2007-12-08 10:33 AM

Endo,

Sounds like you are having a nice time shame about the weather I bet you are all shopped out . Enjoy the rest of the trip By the way Madonna where is she situated in Brugge.?

Archived